What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With his roster bonus he’ll cost Dallas over $5 million next season. Prescott is going to sign a new deal certainly over $55 million per, Rush is probably owed a couple of million if he’s still with the team. Lance pretty much has to be Dallas’ number two next season. If he can’t move ahead of Cooper Rush the demand for him won’t be a 4th round pick.
Everything you just said, may cause the Cowboys to hand Trey Lance the backup job but if he has to play and doesn’t play well they’ll have to look for someone else. Backup QB is a very important position. We wouldn’t have made the playoffs last season had Cooper Rush not played well when he had to take over for Dak.

CWR

Reaction score
He's looked exactly the same every year he's been in the league. What if this is all there is?
Then it's a wasted 4th. The OP asked what "the plan" was. The plan is not for him to suck, although it could end up that way.

Adreme

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
I think the idea was, and yes it is probably this dumb, was that trading for Lance might somehow give them leverage in the Dak negotiations next offseason. Now lets be clear Trey Lance has not been a starter on any level for more than 1 game in soon to be 5 years. He will have lost his job both to the last pick in the draft and then lost a backup job to a career bust in Sam Darnold. However, because he was picked 3rd I think the hope was that somehow that would give Jerry leverage. That is not going to happen and Dak is going to almost certainly sign a record extension.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think the idea was, and yes it is probably this dumb, was that trading for Lance might somehow give them leverage in the Dak negotiations next offseason. Now lets be clear Trey Lance has not been a starter on any level for more than 1 game in soon to be 5 years. He will have lost his job both to the last pick in the draft and then lost a backup job to a career bust in Sam Darnold. However, because he was picked 3rd I think the hope was that somehow that would give Jerry leverage. That is not going to happen and Dak is going to almost certainly sign a record extension.
Then why hasn’t Dak already signed a new extension?

Why the waiting?

as soon as Lance was signed, all their plans changed.

They now have options.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

Why the waiting?

They now have options.
What option? Dak cannot be tagged, he cannot be traded, he represents a significant cap hit unless he’s a post June 1 release, in which case the almost $60 million cap hit is simply split over two years instead of one. Dak’s representation knows some team will pay him huge money if the Cowboys don’t. And you think handing the QB1 to Trey Lance is a viable option? Lance’s deal is over $5 million next season, he’s done nothing to indicate he’s worth that. His fifth year option, if exercised by the Cowboys, would pay him over $20 million in 2026. Dak Prescott and his agent have put him in a position to literally sign the largest player contract in NFL history. And none of the current five players, all QBs, with the highest guaranteed contracts has ever won a Super Bowl. No “deep playoff run” is necessary.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Next offseason we will here how he is in the best shape of his life.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
They know that Dak is just as likely to be horrible as he is to be great. Lance is cheap insurance and if nothing else maybe he lit a fire under Dak and made him job scared.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
They know that Dak is just as likely to be horrible as he is to be great. Lance is cheap insurance and if nothing else maybe he lit a fire under Dak and made him job scared.
Do people already worth 10's of millions get job scared?

Adreme

Reaction score

Why the waiting?

They now have options.
They really do not have options. Their option is massively downgrade at QB, having your starter being inferior to Sam Darnold, and remove themselves as contenders or sign your now top 10/top 5 QB who might very well win MVP this year.

That was always the only option. Trey Lance does not give leverage because they cant use him.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Cowboys traded for him. He wasn't a FA they could sign. He is a developmental QB. This year is about learning. Next summer we will see how he looks and plays. Until then, we wait. The Cowboys knew when they traded for him he wasn't going to play this year unless Dak and Rush both went down.

He is still on his rookie deal so he won't need to be re-signed this off season. Since they already used a 4th round pick to get him, it's unlikely the Cowboys draft another QB next April. It's hard to see 2 draft picks dedicated to developmental type QB's.
So eloquently articulated!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Because he isn't finished learning and developing yet. It really doesn't matter how he looks now. Or OTA's next spring. Next August is when things start to matter with Lance.
but that's when he is up for a new contract. so the team better have a really good feel & Idea before giving him a contract, else if they let him walk, its like throwing away a 4th round pick. think Ferguson, Gholston, Schultz, Armstrong. its really not a throw away pick

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A 4th round pick isn’t very much to give.

They saw a QB that they had rated much higher than a 4th round pick, and decided to take a low round flyer. A guy that has some extenuating circumstances with the team that drafted him, and they wanted to give their guy (McCarthy) a shot to coach him up and see what can be made of Lance. McCarthy is very good with QB’s.

It was just an inexpensive opportunity to get a guy who is really talented and who plays the most important position in the game. It was a smart, low-risk / high-reward move. They were never going to play him until next training camp… unless the two guys in front of him gets hurt.
well, one could argue the 4th round pick is one of those picks that are critical. think Ferguson, Schultz, Gholston, Armstrong, about 50% turned out to be contributors and good rotation guys for depth and some top 5ish type players.

with that said, I didn't mind the trade, but they have to accelerate his development, he has to be #2 QB next year as in 2025 they have to give him a new contract or let him walk.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They really do not have options. Their option is massively downgrade at QB, having your starter being inferior to Sam Darnold, and remove themselves as contenders or sign your now top 10/top 5 QB who might very well win MVP this year.

That was always the only option. Trey Lance does not give leverage because they cant use him.
Be glad that Lance had the two freak injuries.

Otherwise, the Winers GM wouldn’t have traded him.

We are truly lucky. The kid is a phenom.

The reason Dak is going to be cut…

He always chokes in the big games.

Always.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
totally agree

Swanny

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
Come draft day if Lance was available in the 4th round I sure hope the Cowboys would use that pick to select him.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Come draft day if Lance was available in the 4th round I sure hope the Cowboys would use that pick to select him.
had a chance to do that this year to draft a QB, there were plenty out there