What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lance was drafted in 2021. He signed the usual 4 year deal with 1 option year for the club. This is only year three. So he is under contract (if the Cowboy pick up his option year which they will) for 2 more years after this one.
His 5th year option for the 2025 season is $25 million. They will most likely not be exercising that.

I would assume they do plan on keeping him around, but certainly not on that contract if he still has yet to play any meaningful snaps for them.

Most backup QBs make between $2-7 million a year a year. I imagine Lance will be in that category barring a scenario where he somehow seizes control of the starting position.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t help but think that 4th rounder could have been used this offseason to acquire another contributor when Cooks and Gilmore were had for less.
Neither of them play the most important position in professional sports.

When you have a chance to get a potential franchise QB for only a 4th you take it.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Be glad that Lance had the two freak injuries.

Otherwise, the Winers GM wouldn’t have traded him.

We are truly lucky. The kid is a phenom.

The reason Dak is going to be cut…

He always chokes in the big games.

Always.
Dak will choke! Its in his nature, we've been watching it for years. Its coming and some don't even see it. I doubt Dallas can hang with Detroit. The 49ers no way! Dak might beat the falcons and these clowns will be shouting SB but it ain't happening. With the AFC falling off there is no way Kyle Shanahan is gonna let this SB slip away.
Its his and well deserved. He has done a masterful job churning coaching that team. Not to mention fleecing Jerry by sending a bust of a QB to Dallas for a 4th round pick.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Brock Purdy meets every Parcell rule.

• be a three year starter
  • be a senior & graduate from college
  • start at least 30 games and win at least 23
  • 2-1 td/int ratio
  • at least 60% completion percentage

Trey Lance has not started for three years including HS, College and Professionally combined. He has not started 30 games combined. Has not won 23 games combined, but some of you think he is a QB phenom.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
My guess is that they want him to be the back up next year and beyond. He is more like Dak than Rush is athletically and arm strength so the O doesn't have to change much if he goes in. My guess is after one year or so they try to trade him for something higher than a 4th if he can show in the PS that he is developing. Bill used to do that with his QBs all the time, draft them, develop them, trade them.. of course he had Tom Brady for what seemed like most of my life so that helps.
The cost to pick up his fifth year option will be north of 10 million so you not going to pay thst for a back up

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Brock Purdy meets every Parcell rule.

• be a three year starter
  • be a senior & graduate from college
  • start at least 30 games and win at least 23
  • 2-1 td/int ratio
  • at least 60% completion percentage

Trey Lance has not started for three years including HS, College and Professionally combined. He has not started 30 games combined. Has not won 23 games combined, but some of you think he is a QB phenom.
Purdy was also benched three times in college in favor of a more mobile qb who had better leadership but. I’m fairness they did comeback to him

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Parsons, Lamb, Dak, Diggs

Really don't think it's possible to keep all 4.

I wish the mindset that every new deal for stars has to reset the market would change, but that's not gonna happen as long as the cap keeps moving up.

The money is so freaking crazy right now all the way around...even at the collegiate levels with the NIL money and the portal. Heck, club/select sports are stupid expensive for parents as well these days

There has to eventually be a breaking point to this insanity.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
60 million cap hit is spread over 2 seasons.

Plus, Lance is much cheaper contract.

We can spend that cap $$$ on keeping our players.
please invest in some emotional airbags, the wall your going to hit, you will need them. Dak was always getting extended....NOW IF Lance can show some upside next year he becomes qb2 and hopefully can push for the QB1 job next 3 years...that would be fantastic.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
They originally had Lance highly rated in their drafting system and probably would have drafted him, if they had had the chance. When the 49ers made him available, Jerry pounced on it. Of course, I can't read his mind, but some things were going on. At the time, Dak had played some lousy games. Plus, he's 30, and being a human being, he won't be able to play this game indefinitely.
Thus, Lance might be Dak's heir to the throne. Might be. Then again, Lance doesn't even have to become the starter to make the trade worth it. Even if he just becomes a dependable backup, that would be a good thing. The team can't expect to keep Cooper Rush, a competent backup, forever. And Lance could very well end up a better backup than Rush. Another possibility would be if his trade value goes up. If the team determines they're set at QB, but some other team urgently needs a QB, it may be possible to trade him for a draft pick higher than a 4th, or to get a position player that we really need. His trade value could go up if he gets some playing time and looks good.
In short:
If Lance ends up good enough to start and replace Dak, it's a win.
If Lance ends up good enough to be a capable backup, it's a win.
If Lance ends up as trade bait that helps the team, it's a win.
If Lance busts, it's not a win, but it only cost you a 4th round pick to find out.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lance was drafted in 2021. He signed the usual 4 year deal with 1 option year for the club. This is only year three. So he is under contract (if the Cowboy pick up his option year which they will) for 2 more years after this one.
ok, how much is his option? as the 3rd overall pick?

Chasing6

Reaction score
They originally had Lance highly rated in their drafting system and probably would have drafted him, if they had had the chance. When the 49ers made him available, Jerry pounced on it. Of course, I can't read his mind, but some things were going on. At the time, Dak had played some lousy games. Plus, he's 30, and being a human being, he won't be able to play this game indefinitely.
Thus, Lance might be Dak's heir to the throne. Might be. Then again, Lance doesn't even have to become the starter to make the trade worth it. Even if he just becomes a dependable backup, that would be a good thing. The team can't expect to keep Cooper Rush, a competent backup, forever. And Lance could very well end up a better backup than Rush. Another possibility would be if his trade value goes up. If the team determines they're set at QB, but some other team urgently needs a QB, it may be possible to trade him for a draft pick higher than a 4th, or to get a position player that we really need. His trade value could go up if he gets some playing time and looks good.
In short:
If Lance ends up good enough to start and replace Dak, it's a win.
If Lance ends up good enough to be a capable backup, it's a win.
If Lance ends up as trade bait that helps the team, it's a win.
If Lance busts, it's not a win, but it only cost you a 4th round pick to find out.
No other team was willing to trade for Lance with other than a conditional pick. Niners were surprised by our offer and jumped on it immediately. They were considering releasing him.

TheCritic

Reaction score
This is fair, but is Dallas really one of those teams that should have been using a 4th on developmental QB when they were likely to be one of the front runners in the NFC this season?

In a vacuum, the Lance trade is fine but I just think it is a move you make if you are not necessarily in the upper echelon of the league at the moment.

I can’t help but think that 4th rounder could have been used this offseason to acquire another contributor when Cooks and Gilmore were had for less.
Sure but the Cowboys were willing to pay a little more because of how they graded him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
that doesn't show the 5th option year. it just shows the 4 year.

but I read somewhere that his 5th year option is 25M. not sure if cowboys are going to pick up the 5th year option if he is a back, and they are uncertain that he is the future, specially expecting the cowboys to extend Dak for another couple of years.

thus my earlier comment, they better be damn sure he is the guy and they are ready to move from Dak. else its a waste of time and money.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
My guess is that there will be multiple teams offering a 3rd round pick, and some even a 2nd round pick, for him before the draft.
So, the 4th round pick can be turned into a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
I would say that is a win.

Or just keep him as a backup in 2024, and then he leaves for another team in 2025 and hopefully the Cowboys get a comp pick.
Or the Cowboys trade him before the trade deadline in 2024 to a desperate team willing to give up a lot.
Or he stays as the backup in 2024 and beyond at reasonable cost.

Lot of win-win situations for the Cowboys and little risk or cost.
Good move, Jerry and team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tons of video on the kid.

We are lucky.
The NFL video on him is the reason San Francisco got rid of him and it didn’t take long for them to make that decision. His NFL tape is unimpressive to say the least. Even his college tape only had the Cowboys rating him as a second round pick.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I apologized for calling your thread about Dak sweating stupid. I am sorry it offended you to the degree it obviously did. I should not have said it in the first place. I just found the tone of the thread to initially be disrespectful and honestly it seemed like you were looking for a fight even starting it. Intention/tone can be hard to discern online.
Cool. We are good then. Show me I'm stupid through skilled argumentation...don't tell me. One will get you all the respect in the world...the other..."internet" smoke lol.

And that's not a threat or anything...it's just how I move. Ask about me. @stiletto ...he knows how I get down. I've probably never had a cross word with him...but he knows I don't bend, break or fold because "everyone is saying" something. I was castigating the Cowboys EVERY WEEK during Wade's 13-3 season calling out exactly what would go wrong...and then it did go and for the reasons I said. So...I've encountered fans who get overprotective about the team instead of objective. I'm not "piling on Dak", I'm saying what I see.