What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
That's good and all, but you just restated the crux of my argument that this trade made no sense. Dallas was always basically going to be forced to resign Dak this offseason whether they liked it or not. They were not going to eat a $59 million cap hit with his current contract or cut him and absorb the $60 mil in dead money. The timeline just does not seem to be favorable to inserting a developmental QB prospect when you have a win-now roster and a QB that you are essentially handcuffed to.

Again, what my second paragraph is meant to do is to point out what you just stated: Jerry doesn't believe in blowing up the roster, which is why I just don't understand the point in using a 4th round pick to trade for a QB that has a very good chance of never being anything more than a spot starter for you in the foreseeable future.

I very well could be wrong about all of this and honestly will be happy if I am, but if they were willing to let go of a 4th rounder this year, why wouldn't they use it for a piece that could help put you over the top? Gilmore and Cooks were had for less and have been significant contributors this season.

This is all just my opinion of course, but I just view it as a strange move when you consider context surrounding it.
Funny, you make a declarative post…cocky about your conclusions…and now you ask questions.

Pro tip: Writing is for editing your own thoughts, speaking out loud allows others to edit your thoughts. You are a fountain of unedited “thoughts”…and it shows.

There was a plan, you just didn’t like it because you LOVE Dak. Love is blind…

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
My thinking is... you don't get rid of a QB with the experience that Dak has learned for the past 8 years. Not with how the team is coming together as of now. There have been other QB's that took a long time to win the SB and Dak is still relatively young.

Would we all like to get to a SB? Of course...even the "haters". lol

I at least hope that JJ does the right thing after Dak gets an extension...start planning for his next contract and start drafting QB's instead of TE's all the time. It's not my team, but if I could this coming draft I would select a QB first round no matter the teams needs to plan for the next QB, then let the chip fall where they may because Dak is not going to be on the team forever.
8 years really? You make it sound like it takes 8 years to get return on a QB investment. The opposite is actually true: You almost never get return on a QB if he hasn’t done something in his 1st/2nd contract. It’s very, very rare….

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
probable 2024 starter because....

Dallas saves $34 Mil if Dak is a June cut.
2024 dead cap $25 Mil
2025 dead cap $36 Mil

The kid is a QB Phenom.
Phenom based on what? The fact that he just got beat out by Sam Darnold?

In this scenario, Dallas is still INCREASING its cap hit at QB next year and then increasing it significantly in 2025 when they have to re-sign Lance. It just makes 0 sense to do that.
Is Lance already having the desired effect?

Is Dak's improvement related to this trade?

Expiring minds want to know.
No

No

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Funny, you make a declarative post…cocky about your conclusions…and now you ask questions.

Pro tip: Writing is for editing your own thoughts, speaking out loud allows others to edit your thoughts. You are a fountain of unedited “thoughts”…and it shows.

There was a plan, you just didn’t like it because you LOVE Dak. Love is blind… There was nothing declarative or cocky about either of my replies to this thread. In fact, I even stated both were my opinion and nothing more.
There was nothing declarative or cocky about either of my replies to this thread. I even directly started both were just my opinion.

Why don’t you try actually contributing to the discussion instead of trying to pick fights?

If your insults are driven by you holding a grudge against me for calling your Dak sweating thread stupid, I actually apologize about that and hope we can bury the hatchet. No need to feud over something so trivial.

Last edited:

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A lot of short-sighted thinking going on this thread. First of all, look at how many teams out there right now who would gladly give up a 4th for Trey Lance. No matter how set or invested any team is with their starting QB, they are always one QB injury away from wrecking their entire season. If you have the opportunity to develop a QB that has good upside and can do it while paying top 5 QB money for your starter, you take that deal. Cooper Rush doesn't have the tools to be a long term solution should Dak get injured. To think otherwise is just stupid.
This is fair, but is Dallas really one of those teams that should have been using a 4th on developmental QB when they were likely to be one of the front runners in the NFC this season?

In a vacuum, the Lance trade is fine but I just think it is a move you make if you are not necessarily in the upper echelon of the league at the moment.

I can’t help but think that 4th rounder could have been used this offseason to acquire another contributor when Cooks and Gilmore were had for less.

Adreme

Reaction score
Be glad that Lance had the two freak injuries.

Otherwise, the Winers GM wouldn’t have traded him.

We are truly lucky. The kid is a phenom.

The reason Dak is going to be cut…

He always chokes in the big games.

Always.
Your basis for him being a phenom is interesting. He lost the backup job to Sam Darnold which means the team that drafted him was willing to move on from him for a massive draft bust.

Meanwhile in the few times we saw him play we saw one of the least accurate QBs in the modern NFL. He has an accuracy that would be considered poor 10 years ago. Meanwhile his entire starting career is he has 1 year of starting experience since he was in high school, and he is entering his 4th year in the NFL after 3 years of college. There is no basis to believe he will be good.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I also am not a blind Dak cultist, but simply pointed out that his contract forces you to either blow up the team or resign him in order to remain competitive. There is nothing there but fact.

I’m sure there was a plan of sorts when acquiring Lance, but I just don’t think it was necessarily the wisest use of resources.

Why don’t you try actually contributing to the discussion instead of trying to pick fights?
I did contribute but as usual, you don’t read very well. I took apart your first post where you confidently stated “there was no plan” and your other talking points about the Lance trade. QB hell is real…and if a starting QB is average and keep taking the team to the bank top dollar, they will never be able to build a good enough team around said QB. Dak has played well NOW…but that wasn’t a given and the team needed a hedge.

I”m on your *** now…dumb posters shouldn’t ask for smoke.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
National Media: Dak is playing at an MVP level

Cowboyszone posters ever week: When are we going to play Trey Lance
The “national media” 2 months ago: Dak is going to be replaced by Lance during the season.

So yeah…I’ll take “The Zone” over the “national media” any day.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I did contribute but as usual, you don’t read very well. I took apart your first post where you confidently stated “there was no plan” and your other talking points about the Lance trade. QB hell is real…and if a starting QB is average and keep taking the team to the bank top dollar, they will never be able to build a good enough team around said QB. Dak has played well NOW…but that wasn’t a given and the team needed a hedge.

I”m on your *** now…dumb posters shouldn’t ask for smoke.
Brother, I literally stated in that post that it was my opinion. It was not a statement of declarative fact. I am sorry you have taken offense to it.

If your insults are driven by you holding a grudge against me for calling your Dak sweating thread stupid, I actually apologize about that and hope we can bury the hatchet. No need to feud over something so trivial.

I haven’t made any enemies on this site and would prefer it stay that way.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
lol...Dak is going to get resigned to an extension, Lance was not brought in to scare Dak.
No? Then why did mention “coming for my spot” in his post-game interview on Thursday? You were more confident (or delusional) than Dak…watch his interview after it happened. He was not happy…and it wasn’t just because we got rid of his 3rd string QB buddy….

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Brother, I literally stated in that post that it was my opinion. It was not a statement of declarative fact. I am sorry you have taken offense to it.

I haven’t made any enemies on this site and would prefer it stay that way.
Blah, blah, blah…here’s what you wrote:

That's funny. You think Jerry had a plan making that trade.

Short answer: there was no plan and all they saw was a shiny new #3 overall pick available. It never made sense strategically. He wasn't going to supplant Rush as your backup this year, and you basically have to resign Dak to a new contract this offseason or absorb a $59.45 million dollar cap hit next season. All of those things put together make this a completely incoherent move in my opinion. I just don't know how Dallas will even possibly be able to evaluate him given the timeline and situation.

The only way this signing made any sense at all is if Jerry thought there was a real chance they were going to blow this thing up entirely next year and start from scratch and quite frankly, this team was never going to be bad enough to trigger that kind of response.
————————————————————————

Again, you blasted the move as “no plan” SEVERAL TIMES, “never made sense strategically”, “no sense”….

And then later on you tried to soften this stance when you were called out for BS. Again, dumb posters who demand precision of language from others shouldn’t ask for smoke.

I”m on your *** now..,

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Blah, blah, blah…here’s what you wrote:

Short answer: there was no plan and all they saw was a shiny new #3 overall pick available.
It never made sense strategically. He wasn't going to supplant Rush as your backup this year, and you basically have to resign Dak to a new contract this offseason or absorb a $59.45 million dollar cap hit next season. All of those things put together make this a completely incoherent move in my opinion. I just don't know how Dallas will even possibly be able to evaluate him given the timeline and situation.

The only way this signing made any sense at all is if Jerry thought there was a real chance they were going to blow this thing up entirely next year and start from scratch and quite frankly, this team was never going to be bad enough to trigger that kind of response.
————————————————————————

Again, you blasted the move as “no plan” SEVERAL TIMES, “never made sense strategically”, “no sense”….

And then later on you tried to soften this stance when you were called out for BS. Again, dumb posters who demand precision of language from others shouldn’t ask for smoke.

I”m on your *** now..,
I still do not see what is so offensive about what I wrote, but I see you have doubled down rather than chosen to act like an adult. I won’t be participating in your war, but I sincerely hope you enjoy yourself.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
He’a the plan if dak’s demands get too high. Lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
Did anyone really think he was signed for this season?

This signing was for the future. He's a developmental guy with a high talent level to work with. Since he will be with the team from the start next year, hopefully he will step up and take over the #2 spot, and maybe show potential for more than that. For a 4th round pick, even if he only becomes a top backup that's not a bad trade off & if he he proves more than that, he can be an eventual replacement for Dak, or be traded for something else that will help the team. But that's not this year.

Last edited:

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You did offend me directly/personally in another thread and for that
I apologized for calling your thread about Dak sweating stupid. I am sorry it offended you to the degree it obviously did. I should not have said it in the first place. I just found the tone of the thread to initially be disrespectful and honestly it seemed like you were looking for a fight even starting it. Intention/tone can be hard to discern online.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Nothings changed since last week or the week before that or the week before that........
Wouldn't it be easier just to copy and paste last week's Lance Thread?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper Rush is likely gone next year. He signed a 2 yr deal last spring which only guarantees $2.75 million which by end of this season they will have already paid $2.1 mil. He could be a June 1 cut next spring and the cap hit is about 600k which in today’s market is small.

Trey Lance has one more year on his rookie deal which ends after 2024. It would make little sense to keep Rush at his price tag and keep Lance also. If cut next yr, Lance would have a $5.3 mil cap hit. With Dak about to get an extension, it would make no sense to keep all 3 next year.

So….this team better figure out whether Trey Lance is worth what they paid. When will that happen? Probably next training camp and preseason…?

When Jerry made this move back in August it was a head scratcher. And it’s even more that way now. A lot can change in a few months but I’m still a bit unclear what strategic thinking was involved here other than Jerry loving to play fantasy football.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Short answer: there was no plan and all they saw was a shiny new #3 overall pick available. It never made sense strategically. He wasn't going to supplant Rush as your backup this year, and you basically have to resign Dak to a new contract this offseason or absorb a $59.45 million dollar cap hit next season. All of those things put together make this a completely incoherent move in my opinion. I just don't know how Dallas will even possibly be able to evaluate him given the timeline and situation.

Yup. and that 4th rounder they used would have been a nice to have at the trade deadline.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but that's when he is up for a new contract. so the team better have a really good feel & Idea before giving him a contract, else if they let him walk, its like throwing away a 4th round pick.
Lance was drafted in 2021. He signed the usual 4 year deal with 1 option year for the club. This is only year three. So he is under contract (if the Cowboy pick up his option year which they will) for 2 more years after this one.