What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How so? He is no different than any other player they would use a 4th round pick on. Except he plays the most important position in sports. He could turn out to be as good as the current QB for the Cowboys who was 4th round pick. Considering had a 2nd round draft grade on Lance, seems like a pretty good deal.
Because the Cowboys already stated they have no plans to pick up Lance's 5th year option which would cost $25 million. You think Trey Lance is going to want to stick around after 2024 when the Cowboys refuse to pick up his super costly 5th year option, plus realizing Dak will have by then signed a 2nd huge contract for another 4 - 6 years? By the time Dak's second big contract expires, Lance would be around 30 years old. No way will Jerry pay Lance big bucks to only be a backup QB. Plus, Lance will want to leave and take his chances elsewhere for a starting role with another team because he won't be starting anytime soon once Jerry gives Dak a 2nd big contract extension this upcoming Spring.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Because the Cowboys already stated they have no plans to pick up Lance's 5th year option which would cost $25 million. You think Trey Lance is going to want to stick around after 2024 when the Cowboys refuse to pick up his super costly 5th year option, plus realizing Dak will have by then signed a 2nd huge contract for another 4 - 6 years? By the time Dak's second big contract expires, Lance would be around 30 years old. No way will Jerry pay Lance big bucks to only be a backup QB. Plus, Lance will want to leave and take his chances elsewhere for a starting role with another team because he won't be starting anytime soon once Jerry gives Dak a 2nd big contract extension this upcoming Spring.
Interesting idea.

But I think Dak has hit his ceiling.

It’s no fun when our favorite players leave.

Most of the time it’s because of the cap and huge $$$ contracts.

With Lance, they have their next QB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because the Cowboys already stated they have no plans to pick up Lance's 5th year option which would cost $25 million. You think Trey Lance is going to want to stick around after 2024 when the Cowboys refuse to pick up his super costly 5th year option
No one can tell what will happen between now and then. So everything is just speculation. But, if Lance hasn't proven to be a quality starting quarterback in this league after 4 years with 2 different teams, no team is going to be interested in signing him as a starter and he won't get a huge offer.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Interesting idea.

But I think Dak has hit his ceiling.

It’s no fun when our favorite players leave.

Most of the time it’s because of the cap and huge $$$ contracts.

With Lance, they have their next QB.
Dak has hit his ceiling? Haven't you been saying that the past 3 seasons? loool

Chasing6

Reaction score
How many pass attempts did Trey Lance have in high school?

99 passes

He attempted 99 passes in high school. In college, where he had only one true (exceptional) season as a starter, he attempted just 318. For context, Patrick Mahomes attempted more passes in a single season at Texas Tech than Lance has in his football life and 648 in the 2022 regular season alone.

At this point Lance is an athlete he is not a QB. He has less then 500 attempts in his entire life.

aikemirv

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
The plan was to get a young QB for a lower round pick. I don't really think much more than that. Maybe in an extreme situation where Dak did not perform enough to earn a 50 million contract and they just decide to cut ties but I doubt Jerry really ever considered that unless Lance was just super impressive.

Jerry is stuck a bit now. He pretty much has to pay Dak, playing at this level and decent in the playoffs. He would have to fail miserably there to not get a new deal now and even then I think that would just reduce the price a little bit, not cause them to cut ties and go a different direction. Jerry just needs to be relevant to make money and Dak at this level keeps the Cowboys relevant for the next few years.

In the end we might get a 4th back for Lance, unless he just lit it up in the preseason next year and caused some team to want to make him their QB

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I thought he was an insurance product in case Dak was terrible. Dak to his credit has changed the narrative.

erod

Reaction score
I thought he was an insurance product in case Dak was terrible. Dak to his credit has changed the narrative.
No, he hasn't. Dak has been killing bad teams in the regular season since he got here.

Lance is a potential back up plan if things go horribly wrong again in the postseason, especially if Dak plays poorly again with the big eyes expression.

If Dak gets them to at least the NFC Championship game and plays well in it, win or lose, then they continue on with Dak.

If he lays another egg, they may decide to go a different direction in 2025.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
You see crap concerning Dak. You've been so wrong...and continue to be so wrong...I'm surprised you have the cajones to show up to get embarrassed even more when it comes to Dak.
I've been wrong? How so? I didn't say Dak was trash, but I have said Dak has been an above average QB who becomes average in big games. Explain to me how I am wrong?

You've been knocking down strawmen in your mind...hope that makes you feel better...but that doesn't make you "right" and me "wrong" in the real world. The season ain't over...in fact...it's just beginning.

Keep that same energy.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
No, he hasn't. Dak has been killing bad teams in the regular season since he got here.

Lance is a potential back up plan if things go horribly wrong again in the postseason, especially if Dak plays poorly again with the big eyes expression.

If Dak gets them to at least the NFC Championship game and plays well in it, win or lose, then they continue on with Dak.

LOL...you give Dak credit for killing bad teams and they'll call you a hater. Basically, if you don't have "faith" in Dak, you are a bad person.

This is religious devotion on their part, not analysis.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
You do know there is still a lot of time for Dak to be the old Dak?.... might want to wait a bit.
Love is blind and presumptuous. He's already counting his chickens...you know...since it's worked out so well in the past.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
No, Dak is not the problem. He has actually carried the team. Take off your helmet. It might help you see better.
In big games, Michael Irvin said it was Dak. Any honest observer will tell you Dak's poor play and giving SF short fields compromised our defense. Unfreakinbelievable...you can only praise Dak when he plays well...and when "the team loses"....time to parse out blame to others and protect Dak. Give me a break.

If Dak plays like he did against the Eagles - even though he choked and unnecessarily tried to audible to a stupid play on the road - then I'll be fine. If he goes into his normal shell and ends up throwing INTs on easy throws like he did against SF last year and this year...well...then what?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I've been wrong? How so? I didn't say Dak was trash, but I have said Dak has been an above average QB who becomes average in big games. Explain to me how I am wrong?

You've been knocking down strawmen in your mind...hope that makes you feel better...but that doesn't make you "right" and me "wrong" in the real world. The season ain't over...in fact...it's just beginning.

Keep that same energy.
Go follow another team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
In big games, Michael Irvin said it was Dak. Any honest observer will tell you Dak's poor play and giving SF short fields compromised our defense. Unfreakinbelievable...you can only praise Dak when he plays well...and when "the team loses"....time to parse out blame to others and protect Dak. Give me a break.

If Dak plays like he did against the Eagles - even though he choked and unnecessarily tried to audible to a stupid play on the road - then I'll be fine. If he goes into his normal shell and ends up throwing INTs on easy throws like he did against SF last year and this year...well...then what?
Show the tape where Michael Irvin said in big games the problem is Dak. I dare you! Don't come here talking BS.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It seems to me, at this point in time, that Trey Lance is more of a safety net than anything else. I'm hoping he proves to be more. :huh:

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Show the tape where Michael Irvin said in big games the problem is Dak. I dare you! Don't come here talking BS.
I thought you might ask and I'll have to dig it up. But it was Michael on Undisputed talking about why he is encouraged about how Dak is playing because "let's be honest, the last few times the Cowboys haven't advanced was because Dak didn't have his best games...". Michael made a whole big production before the game about not needing "bad Dak" and wanting good Dak. I took note of it because Michael will tell stories about how he interacts with Dak all the time...so for him to acknowledge what any person not in a cult can see, I thought was somewhat of a moment. That means Jerry knew that - thus the Lance trade. And it means that Dak knows it too...

Beating SF is a right of passage for Cowboys QBs. Was for Morton and Staubach, Danny White, Aikman...and now Dak has not met that moment. Say what you will about Danny White, but he actually played brilliantly against SF ...it's just that Joe Montana was that much better. Not so much with Dak. Dak didn't elevate the team and he went into a shell and thew INTs on simple pass plays that should be layups...this is not news to anyone with two eyes.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I thought you might ask and I'll have to dig it up. But it was Michael on Undisputed talking about why he is encouraged about how Dak is playing because "let's be honest, the last few times the Cowboys haven't advanced was because Dak didn't have his best games...". Michael made a whole big production before the game about not needing "bad Dak" and wanting good Dak. I took note of it because Michael will tell stories about how he interacts with Dak all the time...so for him to acknowledge what any person not in a cult can see, I thought was somewhat of a moment. That means Jerry knew that - thus the Lance trade. And it means that Dak knows it too...

Beating SF is a right of passage for Cowboys QBs. Was for Morton and Staubach, Danny White, Aikman...and now Dak has not met that moment. Say what you will about Danny White, but he actually played brilliantly against SF ...it's just that Joe Montana was that much better. Not so much with Dak. Dak didn't elevate the team and he went into a shell and thew INTs on simple pass plays that should be layups...this is not news to anyone with two eyes.
Show the video. If not, stop spreading falsehoods simply because you don't like Dak.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
How many pass attempts did Trey Lance have in high school?

99 passes

He attempted 99 passes in high school. In college, where he had only one true (exceptional) season as a starter, he attempted just 318. For context, Patrick Mahomes attempted more passes in a single season at Texas Tech than Lance has in his football life and 648 in the 2022 regular season alone.

At this point Lance is an athlete he is not a QB. He has less than 500 attempts in his entire life.
noun
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
noun: phenom; plural noun: phenoms
  1. a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer.

i think you made my point for me.

He’s a Phenom QB.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

After SF 95 pct of Cowboys nation was done with Dak. Now it’s probably 50/50. So a contract extension is being discussed again. He changed the narrative with great, not good, play. This is hard for the Dak hater squad to see but it’s 100 pct true.