What is the real reason for trading Amari Cooper?

Redline360

Reaction score
Doesn't live up to his contract....Granted I do think he was overpaid in general however one can't put up numbers without being the main focus. Several breakdown videos from Simms,Warner and etc showed Coop open(several wide open) numerous times a game and he wasn't even looked at and went with a check down pass.

Other teams will force the ball to their #1 reciever always.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What held the trade back was Houston wasn't willing to eat part of the salary. So 18 million would not be 18 million.

No, it would be the salary cost and a second round draft pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't live up to his contract....Granted I do think he was overpaid in general however one can't put up numbers without being the main focus. Several breakdown videos from Simms,Warner and etc showed Coop open(several wide open) numerous times a game and he wasn't even looked at and went with a check down pass.

He can’t throw himself the ball.

Big_D

Reaction score

"Cooks' $18 million guaranteed 2023 year on the veteran receiver's 2023 contract created an obstacle that prevented a potential deal from happening." So they would've been willing to part with the second on the condition that the cap hit would be less than 18.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What we could see was:
- not consistent on road vs home
- could disapeer at times when needed most
- big contract that wasn't worth the production
- future 1wr in ceedee in the waiting (in shadow)

What we heard but wasn't substantiated
- could have had some friction with Dak - name calling was referenced as a rumor
- not a vocal team leader that was expected

What we all hypothesised
- rubbed Jerry the wrong way with views on vacination
- put the team in a position where he was a potential locker room divider

There are probably a few other things that people could add but i would be willing to bet it was a combination of things from all three groups that got him let go
I assure you Amari didn't hurt Jerry's feelings on vaccination. "WE" are not hypothesizing that. It could be making it a public issue.....could be. The photo of him at the game....both PR problematic. Feelings not involved...image and money maybe?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Cooks' $18 million guaranteed 2023 year on the veteran receiver's 2023 contract created an obstacle that prevented a potential deal from happening." So they would've been willing to part with the second on the condition that the cap hit would be less than 18.

Yes. But you’re still giving up a 2nd round draft pick to fill the void that they themselves created.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yes. But you’re still giving up a 2nd round draft pick to fill the void that they themselves created.

They would've been getting a good receiver at a reduced price. The cap savings is the much bigger issue than the pick and that was the attempt. The void at WR was created when another WR broke his foot.

CWR

Reaction score
lol I'm not parroting anything.

I realize that. I'm explaining why I don't let it slide, because it's a lie. Lol Coop may be gone, but Dak is still here. The agenda in that lie, is a shot at the QB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They would've been getting a good receiver at a reduced price. The cap savings is the much bigger issue than the pick and that was the attempt. The void at WR was created when another WR broke his foot.

The void at receiver was created when they gave away their best one for peanuts.

And they confirmed their mistake by trying to trade for another.

And now further confirm it with the outward courting of Odell Beckham.

817Gill

Reaction score
It clearly is, and has been used as ammunition multiple times.

The rumor broke several days after the 9ers loss. In fact I think it was 2-3 weeks. These fools are trying to tell us Coop outed Dak in a crowded locker room and we heard nothing from team or media for that period of time.

Simple logic would clue in most people, to the fact it would've been all over ESPN that freaking evening.
This!

Reactions: CWR

Big_D

Reaction score
The void at receiver was created when they gave away their best one for peanuts.

And they confirmed their mistake by trying to trade for another.

And now further confirm it with the outward courting of Odell Beckham.

So losing a WR with a broken foot played no part? They didn't give away anything when only 1 team was willing to pay the price. You make it sound like 31 teams were lined up? Just the Cleveland Browns.. that very well run organization!

Big_D

Reaction score
I realize that. I'm explaining why I don't let it slide, because it's a lie. Lol Coop may be gone, but Dak is still here. The agenda in that lie, is a shot at the QB.

There's a lot of agendas around here.. tough to keep up.

Reactions: CWR

817Gill

Reaction score
The cowboys wanted Houston to eat most of that salary, which is why the deal didn’t go down. I know there were some reports that Houston wanted a 1st but that wouldn’t make sense given his age and salary.

The biggest hold up was that 18M guaranteed in 2023. So I don’t think their interest in Cooks makes it a foregone conclusion that they were ok with paying close to Amari’s price for another WR. Had Houston eaten say half his salary Cooks would be in Dallas. It was a money thing there too. That’s why Odell makes more sense.

Two things can be true. It can be true that the team felt like they weren’t getting enough for the price, while simultaneously true that they still need another weapon. We all wish we got more back and coupled it with signing a reliable vet, but I don’t think the decision in a vacuum was a bad one.

I love Coop’s talent but he has no juice or fire. Personality of a WR2 in a WR1’s body. That alone is enough to piss Jerry off.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So losing a WR with a broken foot played no part?

A guy who’s done nothing since he’s been here? No.

They didn't give away anything when only 1 team was willing to pay the price. You make it sound like 31 teams were lined up? Just the Cleveland Browns.. that very well run organization!

Why would there be a market when the Joneses’ big mouths told the league that they were going to let him go anyway? Talk about a “very well run organization”.

Big_D

Reaction score

The check down? Lamb had more catches and more yards. And Dak threw for the 7th most yards in the NFL. Lack of targets certainly wasn't the problem. I would buy this if they were sitting in the 25 to 32 range in passing yards. Not 7th. Specially when you can't tell me how open anyone else was on those plays.

Big_D

Reaction score
A guy who’s done nothing since he’s been here? No.

Why would there be a market when the Joneses’ big mouths told the league that they were going to let him go anyway? Talk about a “very well run organization”.

He got hurt!

You think because Jerry said he was available, now teams wanted nothing to do with him? It doesn't even make sense! Only one team was willing to pay the contract, that's the bottom line. Blaming Jerry is just nonsense at this point.

"Hey NFL you can get Amari Cooper for mere peanuts. Just a measly 5th rounder BUT you gotta pay what's left on his contract?"

The Cowboys got the bird from 30 teams! LOL Thanks but no thanks!

cnuball21

Reaction score
The check down? Lamb had more catches and more yards. And Dak threw for the 7th most yards in the NFL. Lack of targets certainly wasn't the problem. I would buy this if they were sitting in the 25 to 32 range in passing yards. Not 7th. Specially when you can't tell me how open anyone else was on those plays.

There were 8 WRs last year with 50+ more targets than Cooper.

Yes, targets we’re a factor when evaluating production.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cowboys wanted Houston to eat most of that salary, which is why the deal didn’t go down. I know there were some reports that Houston wanted a 1st but that wouldn’t make sense given his age and salary.

The biggest hold up was that 18M guaranteed in 2023. So I don’t think their interest in Cooks makes it a foregone conclusion that they were ok with paying close to Amari’s price for another WR. Had Houston eaten say half his salary Cooks would be in Dallas. It was a money thing there too. That’s why Odell makes more sense.
I agree. It was basically a draft pick for cap space deal that they couldn’t agree upon. My point is that they’d be using both cap space and draft resources to backfill a void that they created.

Two things can be true. It can be true that the team felt like they weren’t getting enough for the price, while simultaneously true that they still need another weapon. We all wish we got more back and coupled it with signing a reliable vet, but I don’t think the decision in a vacuum was a bad one.

I love Coop’s talent but he has no juice or fire. Personality of a WR2 in a WR1’s body. That alone is enough to piss Jerry off.

I think that he was this team’s best receiver and they gave him away. And the offense and quarterback have clearly not been as effective without him.

Fans want to talk up “6-2” like it’s the greatest thing in the world. But how does a potential 8-0 look if they had Cooper and a more efficient offense?