What is the real reason for trading Amari Cooper?

ghst187

Reaction score
Not Coopers fault Kellen didn’t do a good job getting a high volume of targets to him.

mane Dak. Amari seemed to click with Rush, probably because Rush knew Amari would be open. Have to wonder if our offense would’ve been decent during the games Rush started this year if Amari had still been here. jerry got his feelings hurt and ditched him…not only that he announced to the league he was going to do it so the return on trade was greatly reduced. I will say the FO made some good moves this past offseason but the Amari one was all time dumb.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So you’re essentially trading Cooper and a 2nd round pick for Cooks and a 5th rounder and some cap room

That sound like a good deal to you?
Of course not, but that wasn't how they planned it. They screwed up the deal when they let Amari go, no doubt. But now that that's history, giving up a 2nd for Cooks would be tolerable in and of itself.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes he is, he just isn’t as good as them. Dude is almost a lock for 1K+ yards every year when he’s healthy and gets the targets.

And no, I don’t care right now about their contracts we can deal with it when we get there. You could move Cooper then or make a tough decision on Lamb. The fact is we moved Cooper too early trying to be cute thinking we didn’t need him and now the FO is scrambling to cover their mistake.

Another Jones and co blunder in softer managements
If he’s a number one then you must think Lamb is one too. Cooper makes no top 15 lists but because he had a star on his helmet y’all overrate the hell out of him.

It’s hilarious. You are encouraging them screw up their salary cap later just so they can keep a player the caliber of Amari Cooper. It’s the most silly thing you can possibly do.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So now the narrative is changed again and the goalposts moved further.

No, but apparently you can ‘cry’ that someone is now a lesser player because they’re no longer a Cowboy.
He’s not a lesser player. He’s the same one that Oakland got rid of. You just overrate him because he has a star on his helmet. Nobody is trading Cooper for their number one receiver. Not one. And I didn’t move a goal post. Is Amari having a better year than Lamb?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So you’re essentially trading Cooper and a 2nd round pick for Cooks and a 5th rounder and some cap room

That sound like a good deal to you?
You win some you lose some. Eagles aren’t crying about wasting a 1st and a 2nd on Reagor and Whiteside just to trade a 1st for Brown. But y’all can’t let **** go lol.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If he’s a number one then you must think Lamb is one too. Cooper makes no top 15 lists but because he had a star on his helmet y’all overrate the hell out of him.

It’s hilarious. You are encouraging them screw up their salary cap later just so they can keep a player the caliber of Amari Cooper. It’s the most silly thing you can possibly do.

In his last fully healthy season (2020) with us Coop was top 10 in receptions and top 12 in yards while getting around 30 or so less targets than a lot of the top producing WRs in football.

How else can I help prove you wrong today?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s not a lesser player. He’s the same one that Oakland got rid of. You just overrate him because he has a star on his helmet. Nobody is trading Cooper for their number one receiver. Not one. And I didn’t move a goal post. Is Amari having a better year than Lamb?

Not the point. You’re trying to talk either/or when the fact is that they had both.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You win some you lose some. Eagles aren’t crying about wasting a 1st and a 2nd on Reagor and Whiteside just to trade a 1st for Brown. But y’all can’t let **** go lol.

No. Because we’re not ignorant.

We know when they do well and we know when they do bad. Our fandom doesn’t require that we check our brain st the door and mindlessly parrot anything and everything they do.

Maybe that’s your fandom, but it’s not ours.

We’re mature enough to talk about the screwups too. I guess not everyone is.

Big_D

Reaction score
When they tell the league they’re not keeping him, the price tag goes down. If you fail to see that, it’s because you don’t want to.

The price tag was down. And when a player becomes available you let other teams know, that’s how it works. So according to you, every team in the league was holding out because a 5th was too steep?

Toro9

Reaction score
I'm not allowed to express my opinion on this particular site

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The price tag was down. And when a player becomes available you let other teams know, that’s how it works. So according to you, every team in the league was holding out because a 5th was too steep?

According to me - and any other objective person - the big-mouthed Jones boys tanked their own trade market by publicly discussing moving on from Cooper.

You want to live in denial about that? That’s your problem.

Big_D

Reaction score
He’s currently 12th in annual salary for WRs…

That’s not a problem it’s a discount for a pro bowl caliber WR.

he had 865 yards so no it’s not a discount. And the pro bowl is a joke. It just became a dodge ball game. For a team trying to make that jump finding his production cheaper is a move they needed to make!

cnuball21

Reaction score
he had 865 yards so no it’s not a discount. And the pro bowl is a joke. It just became a dodge ball game. For a team trying to make that jump finding his production cheaper is a move they needed to make!

“In his last fully healthy season (2020) with us Coop was top 10 in receptions and top 12 in yards while getting around 30 or so less targets than a lot of the top producing WRs in football. ”

1100 yards

Big_D

Reaction score
When the owner of the team makes it known that they're not happy with a player, it automatically drops the price down. It's like selling your car after telling the potential buyer that you don't like the interior.

It’s still a 5th with no interest, it’s not like it started out a first. You think other front offices don’t deal with a soap opera? Teams weren’t willing to pay the price.. and that’s not Jerry’s fault.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s still a 5th with no interest, it’s not like it started out a first. You think other front offices don’t deal with a soap opera? Teams weren’t willing to pay the price.. and that’s not Jerry’s fault.
It might be. If someone told you he was selling his car because it smells funny inside and he doesn't like the way it handled, would you offer him less than you would if he said it was in mint condition?

Or let's put it another way: How many guys have the Cowboys been interested in, and you'd heard they were a problem with their previous team, so your thought was, "Well, as long as we don't pay too much!"?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It might be. If someone told you he was selling his car because it smells funny inside and he doesn't like the way it handled, would you offer him less than you would if he said it was in mint condition?

He’s being willfully ignorant. Let him.
:thumbdown:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The whole Vax thing looks worse and worse for the so called NFL rules now, does it not? Since they have pretty much abandoned all of them?

No, I think its two reasons:
Dak and Cooper did not really jell as a combo; sometimes things just happen that way
The Cap hit was the other main one; BUT I also think Cooper being a very straightforward type let it be known he did not have much time for the clown show
They haven’t abandoned all of them. Just the most restrictive because everyone has either been vaxed or contracted Covid.

Big_D

Reaction score

That’s a poor analogy. I’ve seen teams take many chances on some players. Coopers situation certainly doesn’t fall into a dire category that every team in football decided it would be best to stay away! That’s a serious stretch considering some malcontents and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th chances some have gotten over the years.

817Gill

Reaction score
I agree. It was basically a draft pick for cap space deal that they couldn’t agree upon. My point is that they’d be using both cap space and draft resources to backfill a void that they created.

I think that he was this team’s best receiver and they gave him away. And the offense and quarterback have clearly not been as effective without him.

Fans want to talk up “6-2” like it’s the greatest thing in the world. But how does a potential 8-0 look if they had Cooper and a more efficient offense?
Can we say definitively what the offense is though? I think we can be much more effective than last year, maybe not as explosive but effective.

I like Dak as a top 8-12 QB, I think he’s definitely a capable franchise QB. But I do not think he’s a guy you ask to throw 35-40+ times a game and expect to win big. Very few guys can do that.

With the 3 headed monster at WR, this is still a pass happy offense with Moore and Dak. To me the silver linings of the Amari departure and Dak injury were that we forced Moore to go with a run oriented offense. Much more 13 personnel with these rookie TE’s and a better split between Zeke and Pollard. Much happier with this version of the offense schematically because it actually plays to the QB’s strengths instead of asking him to be Superman.

Would I rather have another playmaker? Sure. Do I trust that Moore would’ve made this necessary switch had we kept Coop? Not at all. Much more comfortable with Prescott as the secondary playmaker rather than the primary.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we say definitively what the offense is though? I think we can be much more effective than last year, maybe not as explosive but effective.

I would say a work in progress. But based on what we’ve seen over these 8 games so far, the passing game clearly isn’t what it used to be.

I like Dak as a top 8-12 QB, I think he’s definitely a capable franchise QB. But I do not think he’s a guy you ask to throw 35-40+ times a game and expect to win big. Very few guys can do that.

With the 3 headed monster at WR, this is still a pass happy offense with Moore and Dak. To me the silver linings of the Amari departure and Dak injury were that we forced Moore to go with a run oriented offense. Much more 13 personnel with these rookie TE’s and a better split between Zeke and Pollard. Much happier with this version of the offense schematically because it actually plays to the QB’s strengths instead of asking him to be Superman.

I like the playcalling and not being pass-happy also, but I’d prefer it to be by design rather than out of necessity.

Would I rather have another playmaker? Sure. Do I trust that Moore would’ve made this necessary switch had we kept Coop? Not at all.

That sounds like a problem with Moore, not Cooper.