What is the real reason for trading Amari Cooper?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
strawmans argument like I thought. again if the price “dropped” to a 5th wouldn’t more than 1 team be interested? if there’s a drop like you say, and still zero interest? Jerry must have really said something bad! lol

When you torpedo your own market because you can’t keep your mouth shut, you’re forced to take whatever you can get. But again, you go right ahead and willfully ignore that.

Show me where Kansas City and Green Bay said they were moving on from Hill and Adams and we’ll talk.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yeah I dont know why so many think that the Cowboys should have gotten a 1st/2nd round pick for Cooper with his contract. It's the same reason they couldnt get anything for Collins.

I fault the Cowboys more for not being proactive in finding a suitable replacement over the offseason than the decision to move on from Cooper. They put way too much stock in Gallup coming back healthy, James Washington and Noah Brown.

how does that savings effect the next few years when Cooper is nothing but a distant memory? They had to unload the contract. And you hope injuries aren’t a problem but in this case it was.

starman22

Reaction score
The check down? Lamb had more catches and more yards. And Dak threw for the 7th most yards in the NFL. Lack of targets certainly wasn't the problem. I would buy this if they were sitting in the 25 to 32 range in passing yards. Not 7th. Specially when you can't tell me how open anyone else was on those plays.

Shouldn't WR1 be the first read most of the time?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
the contract! There was no drop. No one besides Cleveland wanted to pay it. This idea that Jerry drove down his price is pure fabrication!
If Cooper was such a great receiver, with no issues for anyone to worry about, why would that be a bad contract? It wouldn't. If a team were to consider only his talent and upside, the contract and at least a third rounder would've been worth it, but the team acted like a real estate agent who has to give full disclosure on the property.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It’s simple really. Because other teams got far greater compensation for their #1 receivers. And fir guys that required much, much bigger paydays than Cooper’s $20 million. The “contract” argument doesn’t hold water.

What year was the ‘receiver-by-committee’ debacle that led to the Cooper trade? 2017?

Yeah, Deja Vu.

We've gone back and forth on this subject before so I wont beat it to death. I'll make this response and be done with it...or at least try haha.

I would fully expect to see someone like Tyreek Hill get significantly more than a Cooper would. Plus I think the value of a brand new deal is greater than that of an existing contract (not always) simply because you have more flexibility. For example this year you have Hill who has a cheap cap hit, easy move to restructure that deal next season and possibly the following. Cooper's deal had a built in restructure to be used this year to get the cap hit down, but that bill comes due pretty much immediately next season at $23MM+.

Not saying Jerry couldnt have handled that situation better, he probably could have. I'm someone who would have rather just kept Cooper altogether, but I get the comp because contracts do effect player value.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Personally I just dont see it in Washington. He wasnt anything special in Pittsburgh and has missed the entire season. My expectations of him right now are no more than a 4th wr. I almost wonder if OBJ signs with the Cowboys if Washington is even on the team.

We will see though. Stranger things have happened.
They seem to think something of him likely above a #4 WR. But I am with you, I don’t see it. As long as we run first and play action we will have open WR’s..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sorry but I think coop may have been over paid for the production. And the vax thing bothered JJ when he missed games over it. But that’s dumb. We all know the vax don’t keep you from getting it. I think it was vanishing on the road and in important games. And when coop blamed the WR coach for him not being on the field saying it was his rotation that had him out of the game.. Maybe one day we will find out the real reason. Has anyone heard from Dak on getting obj, guessing he don’t want to upset his WR’s. If he came would they put Lamb back at slot. Wonder what Lamb will want for money. He has another year and we have a 5th year option. He may try to hold out. I bet we trade him..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've gone back and forth on this subject before so I wont beat it to death. I'll make this response and be done with it...or at least try haha.

I would fully expect to see someone like Tyreek Hill get significantly more than a Cooper would. Plus I think the value of a brand new deal is greater than that of an existing contract (not always) simply because you have more flexibility. For example this year you have Hill who has a cheap cap hit, easy move to restructure that deal next season and possibly the following. Cooper's deal had a built in restructure to be used this year to get the cap hit down, but that bill comes due pretty much immediately next season at $23MM+.

Not saying Jerry couldnt have handled that situation better, he probably could have. I'm someone who would have rather just kept Cooper altogether, but I get the comp because contracts do effect player value.

I agree with you. And BIGGER CONTRACTS make trades less appealing. But not only did the teams that kept their mouths shut get better draft returns, they got them for players that required FAR MORE MONEY from the teams that acquired them.

rambo2

Reaction score
What “footage”? Where do the coaches, players, and quarterback say they ‘don’t want Cooper’ like you falsely claim?
The all 22 footage that shows Copper not giving 100%. If the coaches and players wanted Cooper, he would be on the team. Do you not think that is true?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think they traded Cooper for personal reasons. They traded him because they were pissed for him not abiding by NFL rules in terms of vaccination.

Thus the rift started because of that.

Jerry/Stephen are not good at handling personal issues. They run the Cowboys organization as if it's a Mom and Pop store and if they aren't happy with the hot dogs that they sold, they get pissed.

They could have worked something out with Cooper in which both sides can compromise. Instead, they just sent Cooper packing for so little.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The all 22 footage that shows Copper not giving 100%. If the coaches and players wanted Cooper, he would be on the team. Do you not think that is true?

Absolutely not. This is you admitting your false assumptions.

This team is owned and run - for better or worse - by the Joneses.

The owner calls himself a GM, so it’s ultimately his decision what happens with players, contracts, and the roster.

You should know this stuff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they traded Cooper for personal reasons. They traded him because they were pissed for him not abiding by NFL rules in terms of vaccination.

Thus the rift started because of that.

Jerry/Stephen are not good at handling personal issues. They run the Cowboys organization as if it's a Mom and Pop store and if they aren't happy with the hot dogs that they sold, they get pissed.

They could have worked something out with Cooper in which both sides can compromise. Instead, they just sent Cooper packing for so little.

fJaHQkr.gif

817Gill

Reaction score
I would say a work in progress. But based on what we’ve seen over these 8 games so far, the passing game clearly isn’t what it used to be.

I like the playcalling and not being pass-happy also, but I’d prefer it to be by design rather than out of necessity.

That sounds like a problem with Moore, not Cooper.
Yeah I agree that the passing game is not like what it was last year, but I do believe that it shouldn’t have to be. In fact it could be argued that it shouldn’t be with a non-elite QB.

I wish just as much as you that this offensive coaching staff made the conscious decision to commit to the run game and play action to play to Dak’s strengths. Unfortunately, I do not think that’s something Moore would’ve ever done without both Cooper’s departure and Dak’s injury.

In no way do I give the FO the credit of foreshadowing that this team needed to be a run first unit, though they did mention wanting to be more physical. Moore is definitely to blame over Amari in terms of the game plan, but realistically Jerry wasn’t letting him go after that statistical output last year.

In the way that Dallas likes to move (reactionary), these unfortunate yet serendipitous circumstances may have been the only way to get to the right scheme and run/pass balance.

I’m chalking that change up to luck, not shrewd planning.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I agree that the passing game is not like what it was last year, but I do believe that it shouldn’t have to be. In fact it could be argued that it shouldn’t be with a non-elite QB.

I wish just as much as you that this offensive coaching staff made the conscious decision to commit to the run game and play action to play to Dak’s strengths. Unfortunately, I do not think that’s something Moore would’ve ever done without both Cooper’s departure and Dak’s injury.

In no way do I give the FO the credit of foreshadowing that this team needed to be a run first unit, though they did mention wanting to be more physical. Moore is definitely to blame over Amari in terms of the game plan, but realistically Jerry wasn’t letting him go after that statistical output last year.

In the way that Dallas likes to move (reactionary), these unfortunate yet serendipitous circumstances may have been the only way to get to the right scheme and run/pass balance.

I’m chalking that change up to luck, not shrewd planning.

I like that the running game has been effective, but I’d like to see them have a complete offense that was good at both running and passing. Forcing a defense to ‘pick their poison’ makes both aspects of an offense more effective.

And at this point, if someone can slow down or stop that running game, the passing game isn’t good enough to make them pay or overcome it. And we end up scoring 3 points like week one.

Or worse, we get bounced out in round one of the playoffs yet again.

That’s why I hope they can bring in Beckham.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like that the running game has been effective, but I’d like to see them have a complete offense that was good at both running and passing. Forcing a defense to ‘pick their poison’ makes both aspects of an offense more effective.

And at this point, if someone can slow down or stop that running game, the passing game isn’t good enough to make them pay or overcome it. And we end up scoring 3 points like week one.

The problem is, as soon as the passing game becomes strong, that's probably all Moore and Dak are going to want to do. Give Dak a WR who can get open and catch pretty much anything thrown his way, and the RBs become mostly blockers...unless this experience has actually enlightened our 2 former backup QBs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is, as soon as the passing game becomes strong, that's probably all Moore and Dak are going to want to do. Give Dak a WR who can get open and catch pretty much anything thrown his way, and the RBs become mostly blockers...unless this experience has actually enlightened our 2 former backup QBs.

Left to their own devices, the tendencies of our past three offensive coordinators - Garrett, Linehan, and Moore - they would all get pass happy.

817Gill

Reaction score

Yeah I get you man I think it’s idealistic though when it comes to this staff and FO. There’s no such thing as balance with these guys if the passing game is hot.

Remember their desired formula for winning last year was starting fast getting to a lead then letting the defense play from ahead. They came into the season pass happy and aggressive. They do not have an innate concept of or desire to be balanced, Mike during his last few seasons in GB and Kellen since he’s been an OC are both pass-first schemers.

I would love to have a staff that recognizes not only their QB’s strengths but also the importance of true balance. But that’s not the reality of our staff, so I’ll gladly live with the Amari move knowing that it forced Mike and Moore (along with the Dak injury) to be more balanced.

That being said, there will definitely come a time where we need our passing game to step up and drive us to a victory. And for that reason I too want to see us sign Odell. Would’ve loved the team to keep Amari and turn to a more balanced offense on their own, but again I’ve learned not to expect these types of things. Just gotta hope to be lucky at this point and it seems like that’s what we are this season.

Side note, I think our 3 TE personnel has the potential to diversify our passing offense; especially in the intermediate passing game. If this develops, it’ll be yet another silver lining schematic discovery from Coop’s departure. Grab OBJ and I’m happy with offensive personnel.