What is wrong with tanking?

kskboys

Reaction score
Please post some real evidence of this instead of throwing **** out in the hopes it will stick.
Type in "Hershel Walker Trade" and look it up. It's even in Wikipedia.

It appears that you're the one throwing out crapp hoping it sticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Good to see you're in a less warlike and somewhat more direct frame of mind. I know what it's like to be in a strange place and have to struggle mightily to "fit in" with people who are culturally different and actually reluctant to accept you. I apologize if I carelessly became one of them.
I'm basically a Cowboys enthusiast because they're like an old friend that affords me a source of caring about a group of people I identify with. The fact that they've been a mediocre team bothers me greatly, although, I've learned that they still contribute to my life without being perfect.
Additionally I'm a product of a tough-guy dad and an older brother who bore similar character flaws. I'm proud to say I'm tame compared to them. As for my mildly flawed English, environmentally speaking, I'm surrounded by many people with far worse language manifestations than my own.
As far as character flaws are concerned, I've noticed sarcasm is near and dear to being your mode of communicating. It's easy to see it as an aggressive tendency. Maybe more patience is in order for us both. I'll tend to that, if you'll do the same. :cool:
Cowboys are like an old friend. I like that. An old friend who provides me w/ comfort. Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Good to see you're in a less warlike and somewhat more direct frame of mind. I know what it's like to be in a strange place and have to struggle mightily to "fit in" with people who are culturally different and actually reluctant to accept you. I apologize if I carelessly became one of them.
I'm basically a Cowboys enthusiast because they're like an old friend that affords me a source of caring about a group of people I identify with. The fact that they've been a mediocre team bothers me greatly, although, I've learned that they still contribute to my life, without being perfect.
Additionally, I'm a product of a tough-guy dad and an older brother who bore similar character flaws. I'm proud to say I'm tame, compared to them. As for my mildly flawed English, environmentally speaking, I'm surrounded by many with far worse language habits than my own. Enough said on that.
As far as character flaws are concerned, I've noticed sarcasm is near and dear to being your mode of communicating. It's easy to see it as an aggressive tendency. Maybe more patience is in order for us both. I'll tend to that, if you'll do the same. :cool:

Sigh o' relief.
Civility is so refreshing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To say Jimmy Johnson didn't tank is ridiculous; however, to ignore the conditions he was under then is even more ridiculous.

He was the HC of a team losing 1M a month with an owner that needed a turnaround as fast as possible to stop the bleeding. The problem was the team wasn't bad enough to get better faster, it had to get really bad like 0-16 bad and get the first pick in each round and then add some picks with the only real A player the team had.

He came to the job to build a team and if that meant losing when everyone expected that, so be it. He didn't tell them not to play to win, he just knew what he would put out there wouldn't do that, couldn't do that and the Skins win caught him off guard. He left a better team in Miami than he had in Dallas with only one way to build it, the draft. Only Plan B was around, which he used to get Novacek.

He looked at the Cowboys as an expansion team and up until CAR and JAX came in with FA, that was a slow build as SEA and TB could attest to. He had to accelerate it with high picks and more picks and what he did with Walker has been repeated by many teams since then, although without the blockbuster implications unless you consider what NO did to get Williams and WAS to get Griffin.

Johnson tanked and if he hadn't, chances are those 3 rings don't happen and Booger has to sell the team and if there ever was a better dilemma presented to my fellow fans, I don't know what it is.

Jimmy, tanks for the memories.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm basically a Cowboys enthusiast because they're like an old friend that affords me a source of caring about a group of people I identify with. The fact that they've been a mediocre team bothers me greatly, although, I've learned that they still contribute to my life, without being perfect.
Additionally, I'm a product of a tough-guy dad and an older brother who bore similar character flaws. I'm proud to say I'm tame, compared to them. As for my mildly flawed English, environmentally speaking, I'm surrounded by many with far worse language habits than my own. Enough said on that.
Damn Bully, you almost brought me to tears.

Eh, those people with worse language habits, you damned well better not be talking about me or there will be hell to pay!

Seriously, and I don't like using that much, a fine post.

kskboys

Reaction score
To say Jimmy Johnson didn't tank is ridiculous; however, to ignore the conditions he was under then is even more ridiculous.

He was the HC of a team losing 1M a month with an owner that needed a turnaround as fast as possible to stop the bleeding. The problem was the team wasn't bad enough to get better faster, it had to get really bad like 0-16 bad and get the first pick in each round and then add some picks with the only real A player the team had.

He came to the job to build a team and if that meant losing when everyone expected that, so be it. He didn't tell them not to play to win, he just knew what he would put out there wouldn't do that, couldn't do that and the Skins win caught him off guard. He left a better team in Miami than he had in Dallas with only one way to build it, the draft. Only Plan B was around, which he used to get Novacek.

He looked at the Cowboys as an expansion team and up until CAR and JAX came in with FA, that was a slow build as SEA and TB could attest to. He had to accelerate it with high picks and more picks and what he did with Walker has been repeated by many teams since then, although without the blockbuster implications unless you consider what NO did to get Williams and WAS to get Griffin.

Johnson tanked and if he hadn't, chances are those 3 rings don't happen and Booger has to sell the team and if there ever was a better dilemma presented to my fellow fans, I don't know what it is.

Jimmy, tanks for the memories.
Great post, CC.

75boyz

Reaction score
Great post, CC.

Awesome post.
As I tried explaining to another fellow poster, context is everything.
In my opinion, this age of phone staring has created a false sense of thinking for many. A place where only surface type interpretation of raw number stats is their only understandable reality.
There is absolutely no understanding of context and if there's not a link to click, it never happened.
The new normal.

I'll continue to allow a little gray area to interpret the full scope of all things and remain abnormal I guess.

Appreciate your context on this subject again Coach.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
It did w/ the Cowboys in the 90's, and it currently seems to be working very well w/ Mia.

Cowboys didn’t purposely tank. We were God awful. Lol! And the Dolphins stock piled picks by trading their best offensive lineman and best defensive player.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cowboys didn’t purposely tank. We were God awful. Lol! And the Dolphins stock piled picks by trading their best offensive lineman and best defensive player.
Dude, trading your best players is tanking. The Cowboys left better players on the bench because they wanted the draft picks. Jimmy left better players on the bench. They would've been better and would've won more if they'd have played the players from Minny. That was clearly on purpose. And everyone knew it.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Dude, trading your best players is tanking. The Cowboys left better players on the bench because they wanted the draft picks. Jimmy left better players on the bench. They would've been better and would've won more if they'd have played the players from Minny. That was clearly on purpose. And everyone knew it.

Isaac Holt started and Jimmy said he knew the other guys weren’t very good but he didn’t care as he just wanted the picks. I do advocate playing the young guys like Donovan Wilson, Anae, Gallimore, Biadasz and I’d love to see some of Reggie Robinson. I also don’t get the thinking that Dalton is our QB when he returns. Does anyone think he’ll resign here? He only did this year to be close to home during the pandemic. With a lowered cap we won’t have the luxury of paying a premium for a backup QB thus the reason I think we need more time to evaluate Gilbert.

As for our core that will be returning I think they need to play as it will enable them to better grasp the schemes and build chemistry. I think we’d be better served using this year to do this as opposed to playing our scrubs just to move up a few draft spots. We can agree to disagree.