What is wrong with tanking?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I played and coached for years. I am only agreeing with the actions that Jimmy Johnson took to rebuild the Cowboys. It worked for Jimmy and it will work now.
Jimmy Johnson never quit. His players always played balls out because if they didn’t they would have been cut. Get out of here with your nonsense.

jnday

Reaction score
How in the world can fans continuously lie to themselves? If you didn't know what was happening, I'd guess that you were a very young child.

Not trying to lose, trying to get multiple 1st and 2nd round picks.

Define intentionally losing. Jimmy didn't play better players because he wanted the draft picks.
It is hard to believe that serious Cowboy fans don’t know this. It is common knowledge and Johnson has confirmed it multiple times. Selective memory I guess.

jnday

Reaction score
We don't have Jimmy and he never lost on purpose. He traded and cut the fat, but he never benched starters and played scrubs like many are suggesting.
You are wrong. Jimmy has confirmed it over and over. He sat the veterans that he traded for from the Vikings to gain the picks. Those veterans were much better players than the scrubs he sent in the field.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ethics in football went out the door around the time plastic helmets replaced leather helmets.

So, I say this: What's ethical about freezing a kicker? Or stashing healthy players on the injured unable to perform list?
Or coaches blowing smoke about their intended draftee and then choosing another?
What is ethical about fans making it impossible for the opposing QB to hear his cadence or a feigned injury to stop a clock? Or announcers breathlessly promoting an upcoming game between a 9-1 team against a 1-9 team?
Or deflated balls, stolen signals and sweetheart deals by municipalities to attract and keep NFL teams?

This proud rude boy from Leeds long ago gave up thinking there were ethics in professional NFL?

Me? I think of tanking as a strategic plan to make a football team better.
If you think tanking for 2021 is wrong, then I don't want to be right. So then go ahead enjoying your 8-8 seasons and the upcoming 3-13 season.

Holla and brings me a dollah!
Or holla and just owe me a dollar!

mr Gimme---i dont think we need to worry this year...we will organically tank anyway

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are wrong. Jimmy has confirmed it over and over. He sat the veterans that he traded for from the Vikings to gain the picks. Those veterans were much better players than the scrubs he sent in the field.
That's why he lost in Miami without Jimmy's checkbook.

75boyz

Reaction score
It is hard to believe that serious Cowboy fans don’t know this. It is common knowledge and Johnson has confirmed it multiple times. Selective memory I guess.

It's some form of mass or collective amnesia but mixed in with naivete and immaturity. It's like since the truth doesnt meet the super hero saviorcoach image of Jimmy, then they can't accept it.

I have read here today that Jaylon Smith is a cornerstone player because of his tackle numbers

And yesterday that Jerry has kept this team "competitive" for several years now. But to disregard playoff success as any sort of qualifier as competitive.

Maybe a full moon or I don't know. The crazies are definitely out or some of them never matured past puberty. And it shows. With a lot of the same characters.

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
Jimmy was playing players fresh off the street during that year. He knew what he was doing and he also knew that it would have been a waste of resources to try to get better players because there was nothing to be gained by winning 3-4 games that year. He didn’t tell the team to quit, but he made sure that the players had no chance due to lack of talent.
I hope Jerry learned that lesson
It’s does more harm than good to win another game this year
I want the players to play hard but I’d make dang sure I played all the young guys including my PS guys
Let’s see what they have, get guys reps so they make up for not having an off season this year

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I merely asked where you were when Jimmy Johnson was our coach. My reply was simply to assure you that I was a fan back then and aware of our circumstances -- it wasn't to say I'm better than you, by any means.

You answered my question where you were back then by simply saying: "Were you?" Incomplete sentence (and an ambiguous reply on your part.) If you were asking if I was even in existence back then the answer is yes. I was alive since long before the Cowboys were in their infancy. It wasn't intended to compare our status. Thanks anyway for the fruit basket. My digestion is fine. o_O

Yeah, OK boomer, walk it back.:rolleyes:

But no, old fellow. You tried that I-was-here-before-the-football-was-invented-by-the-vikings trick.
So was Landry and Diamond Emmitt. Where are they now?
They are forgotten and in the past.
Try focusing on the present and future, Jeremiah Bulldog.

BTW: When you point out my incomplete sentence, keep in mind to take care of your own lack of ability. I learned English from the best, and, unlike you, not in the
Piney Woods, Earl. I quote you:

"You answered my question (ABOUT) where you were back then by simply saying: "Were you?" (YPU WROTE IT, YOU DIDN'T SAY IT. TOO, TRANSPOSE THE QUOTE AND QUESTION MARK) Incomplete sentence and an ambiguous reply on your part. If you were asking if I was (WERE! USE WERE IN THE CONDITIONAL SENSE!) even in existence back (COMMA UNLESS YOU ARE IN A COMA) then the answer is yes. I was alive since long before the Cowboys were in their infancy. It wasn't intended to compare our status. (PANTS ON FIRE) Thanks anyway for the fruit basket. My digestion is fine. o_O[/QUOTE]
:laugh:
You want more, Don Heinrich?o_O

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
mr Gimme---i dont think we need to worry this year...we will organically tank anyway

Little do Trevor Lawrence or edge Gregory Rousseau know that when they buy their homes in Denton, away from the Dallas riff-raff, they will owe it to your double-plats.
You might be our secret weapon this year, dear lad.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson never quit. His players always played balls out because if they didn’t they would have been cut. Get out of here with your nonsense.
Of course. Absolutely no one is saying that the players shouldn't play hard.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, OK boomer, walk it back.:rolleyes:

But no, old fellow. You tried that I-was-here-before-the-football-was-invented-by-the-vikings trick.
So was Landry and Diamond Emmitt. Where are they now?
They are forgotten and in the past.
Try focusing on the present and future, Jeremiah Bulldog.

BTW: When you point out my incomplete sentence, keep in mind to take care of your own lack of ability. I learned English from the best, and, unlike you, not in the
Piney Woods, Earl. I quote you:

"You answered my question (ABOUT) where you were back then by simply saying: "Were you?" (YPU WROTE IT, YOU DIDN'T SAY IT. TOO, TRANSPOSE THE QUOTE AND QUESTION MARK) Incomplete sentence and an ambiguous reply on your part. If you were asking if I was (WERE! USE WERE IN THE CONDITIONAL SENSE!) even in existence back (COMMA UNLESS YOU ARE IN A COMA) then the answer is yes. I was alive since long before the Cowboys were in their infancy. It wasn't intended to compare our status. (PANTS ON FIRE) Thanks anyway for the fruit basket. My digestion is fine. o_O

Thanks for that. It's just another helping of more silly crap from one who has nothing of any real substance to offer. Piney Woods talk is more into your level of culture than you'd care to admit. Stick to your two-word sentences if you can't manage a complete thought. Cave men surely must have communicated infinitely better than that.

It seems odd that you'd choose to inject Tom Landry and Emmitt Smith into this conversation out of nowhere. I clearly didn't mention them myself. It was seemingly trite and pointless. Congratulations -- that's yet another sterling example of the senseless gibberish that you've become known for. By the way, your English is far too English for my taste and this is America, if you haven't yet noticed -- do try to fit in, old chap! ;)

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Jimmy discussed this on one of the documentaries about the Dallas teams if the early 90’s. He has told the story countless times, but some fans just don’t want to hear it because it taints the memories of the good ole days.
Please post some real evidence of this instead of throwing **** out in the hopes it will stick.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Thanks for that. It's just another helping of more silly crap from one who has nothing of any real substance to offer. Piney Woods talk is more into your level of culture than you'd care to admit. Stick to your two-word sentences if you can't manage a complete thought. Cave men surely must have communicated infinitely better than that.

It seems odd that you'd choose to inject Tom Landry and Emmitt Smith into this conversation out of nowhere. I clearly didn't mention them myself. It was seemingly trite and pointless. Congratulations -- that's yet another sterling example of the senseless gibberish that you've become known for. By the way, your English is far too English for my taste and this is America, if you haven't yet noticed -- do try to fit in, old chap! ;)

Fit in? :) You are some arbiter of Americanism or something? Yes?
Speaking of Americanism, most of us live in the U.S., and not simply America, and your vision of things and "american" language is from a context of living in HUGE American continents where Canadian English, Spanish, Portuguese is 70% of languages spoken, American English and Asian/native languages 4th.
LOL
You give me the giggles, old boy, old egg.
Here are two more fools from the past you can grouse about. Herschel Walker and Quincy Carter. heh
Tank and live to fight another day. This year is burnt biscuits.:oops:

Big_D

Reaction score
Excellent post. Totally comprehensive and well thought out.
Without having an outside the Jones family GM and more qualified coach both in total lockstep with regards to a shared team vision and player profile they both agree on,
this team will continue its perpetual spiral downward.

AFTER the full elimination of all Jones involvement in football operations and an outsider GM has been chosen...

More qualified coach choices and contracts given should be a major focus as well.

These are what the other successful NFL organizations do.

It's too late though. The money outside of football operations and all of the associated earnings that go along with supporting the brand, not the team, are just to a point of such outrageous profitability to this egomaniac that the football team truly has become no more than a play toy or hobby.

Any/all other responses concerning whether to draft a QB or draft defense miss the big picture.

But ultimately the forum would hafta choose if it wanted to shut down along with bottomline expectations if Jerry and Son continue to remain in charge. Because every single post would hafta begin with "If" Jerry/Stephen weren't in charge...

That's cold hard reality.

If you wanted my smaller picture teambuilding opinion I'm a draft the QB and build around him type based off this current roster.

Again, great post.

Thanks!!

sadly enough the Joneses aren’t going anywhere. So we can just continue this conversation next year.. and the year after that .. and the year after that.. and so on. While they try to get it figured out? Not even the #1 pick is helping them at this point.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Fit in? :) You are some arbiter of Americanism or something? Yes?
Speaking of Americanism, most of us live in the U.S., and not simply America, and your vision of things and "american" language is from a context of living in HUGE American continents where Canadian English, Spanish, Portuguese is 70% of languages spoken, American English and Asian/native languages 4th.
LOL
You give me the giggles, old boy, old egg.
Here are two more fools from the past you can grouse about. Herschel Walker and Quincy Carter. heh
Tank and live to fight another day. This year is burnt biscuits.:oops:

No thanks for any further examples of English snobbery from someone who takes delight in forcing his BS upon those fairly unreceptive to it...

The type of vitriol that you so delight in subjecting so many good people to within this membership on such a regular basis does you no favors.

Funny that you should mention tanking, here! It's an act of losing for losers who hold no respect for the true spirit of competitive sportsmanship.

I've always thought of giggling as something usually attributed to young girls who take delight in their silliness. It's nice to see it amuses you. ;)

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
No thanks for any further examples of English snobbery from someone who takes delight in forcing his BS upon those fairly unreceptive to it...

The type of vitriol that you so delight in subjecting so many good people to within this membership on such a regular basis does you no favors.

Funny that you should mention tanking, here! It's an act of losing for losers who hold no respect for the true spirit of competitive sportsmanship.

I've always thought of giggling as something usually attributed to young girls who take delight in their silliness. It's nice to see it amuses you. ;)

There is no snobbery here. I just gave you a taste of your own medicine, and thought it an odd remark about fitting in. Are you one of European immigrant stock that assumes you and not the Peruvian or Apache or Inuite are American? Do they fit in like you? I try to fit in bloke. So sorry to crowd you.
And tanking is horrible, Earl, but a quarter century of almost-rans is your comfort zone, old boy, not mine.
And, yes, your exultations make me giggle, but so what, Rambo?
I'll add sexism to your ailments of xenophobia, bad English and regional and cultural exclusivity.
o_O

32BellyOption

Reaction score
What’s wrong with tanking is it didn’t lead to improvement. I’m all for playing a lot of the young guys but now is the time to work on schemes, evaluate players and build team chemistry. If we win a few more games in the process so be it. We will still end up with a very talented player in the first round. Hopefully a defensive player who can step in immediately.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There is no snobbery here. I just gave you a taste of your own medicine, and thought it an odd remark about fitting in. Are you one of European immigrant stock that assumes you and not the Peruvian or Apache or Inuite are American? Do they fit in like you? I try to fit in bloke. So sorry to crowd you.
And tanking is horrible, Earl, but a quarter century of almost-rans is your comfort zone, old boy, not mine.
And, yes, your exultations make me giggle, but so what, Rambo?
I'll add sexism to your ailments of xenophobia, bad English and regional and cultural exclusivity.
o_O

Good to see you're in a less warlike and somewhat more direct frame of mind. I know what it's like to be in a strange place and have to struggle mightily to "fit in" with people who are culturally different and actually reluctant to accept you. I apologize if I carelessly became one of them.
I'm basically a Cowboys enthusiast because they're like an old friend that affords me a source of caring about a group of people I identify with. The fact that they've been a mediocre team bothers me greatly, although, I've learned that they still contribute to my life, without being perfect.
Additionally, I'm a product of a tough-guy dad and an older brother who bore similar character flaws. I'm proud to say I'm tame, compared to them. As for my mildly flawed English, environmentally speaking, I'm surrounded by many with far worse language habits than my own. Enough said on that.
As far as character flaws are concerned, I've noticed sarcasm is near and dear to being your mode of communicating. It's easy to see it as an aggressive tendency. Maybe more patience is in order for us both. I'll tend to that, if you'll do the same. :cool:

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
What’s wrong with tanking is it didn’t lead to improvement. I’m all for playing a lot of the young guys but now is the time to work on schemes, evaluate players and build team chemistry. If we win a few more games in the process so be it. We will still end up with a very talented player in the first round. Hopefully a defensive player who can step in immediately.
It did w/ the Cowboys in the 90's, and it currently seems to be working very well w/ Mia.