What Kind of Start Would it Take to bench the QB?

Mannix

Reaction score
There’s never been a point where Dak has played poorly enough to where he should be benched. Although his play dropped off the second half of last season it wasn’t to the level where anyone was saying maybe we should take a look at Cooper Rush. He gives us the edge over the teams in our division because none of them have a QB of his caliber. I’m sure plenty of his haters will be pulling against him, hoping he’ll cost us games because that’s the kind of idiots we have here. They’ll take losing every week if they think it will lead to changes with the team and at QB.

What about cut? :muttley:

Blackrain

Reaction score
Facts. We don't necessarily need a dominant run game, but we absolutely need to threaten a run game. When the defense has ZERO respect for your ability to run it makes it real easy to play cover 2 and sit on routes.
I'm with you second and five is a wonderful thing.
Even second and six or seven is tolerable but starting every series with a holding penalty or a false start is a recipe for disaster for almost any quarterback.

Give Dak four or five yards on first down and he can hold his own. Start him behind the chains with penalties and he like 80% of the rest of the quarterbacks in the NFL will struggle mightily

CWR

Reaction score
Here's what I really think.

I think we spend a lot of time supporting or defending Dak that we're not giving much attention to the back up quarterback spot.

Injuries happen in his league. Dak could get injured. Just like any other quarterback could.

Last year, 27 back up quarterbacks made a start at some point, for some reason, so it's not like I'm foreseeing some pie in the sky.

Are we really set with Cooper Rush? Or do you guys think we have anyone close to Dak with Grier or DiNucci?

I like both players. Grier torched my alma mater in a pretty classic performance, which I only recently watched. And DiNucci seems to have a little bit of Romo in him. Just one of those players that's going to hang around on your roster because he shows reasons why you'd keep him.

Anyway, I'm not hating on Dak. I think Micah likes Dak, and he talks about Dak's work ethic, so I dig on him as a player, actually. I don't like some things about him. Like, he's been given a great cast of players.. Romo had good players, too, Dez Bryant, etc. But he didn't have quite all the weapons Dak has.

Fair, although Romo had some great teams as well.

Nobody can honestly claim to "know" what we have behind Dak. I liked Rush last year, but it took everything he had to pull off that game. That's not a knock on him. I just see him as a guy who can sub in but not necessarily run an offense long term. Nooch has a long ways to go before I'd be convinced he is able to even play to CRs level.

Grier is an unknown but that makes him the highest possible upside guy in my mind. As it also makes him even more likely to be cut.

In any event Dak is good enough; the average back waiting for an opportunity probably won't get the chance to pass him on the depth chart.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Last season, we started playing teams with winning records.

That's what happened.

That's been the issue with Dak his whole career. He can been the middle of the road teams, all day, every day.

He struggles, statistically, against winning teams.

I'm also not blaming him, %100 for this.

Some of it's on the team's coaching, but his INT rate, everything much higher against winning teams..So they've got to fix this.

I think Stoerner was a Razorback.

There you go pinning it all on Dak. The Cowboys didn’t play well as a team against good football teams. Good QBs got the better of our defense. Our OL and running game started to regress the second half of the season. If beating good teams has been an issue for Dak he wouldn’t have gotten that contract. He’s beaten a lot of very good teams over his career. He has wins over Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger. He has a win over Russell Wilson in the playoffs so don’t tell me he can’t beat good teams. You continue to be hung up on what happened the second half of last season. You’re one of those fans that would prefer another QB.

Jarntt

Reaction score
This is purely hypothetical. And for us, we think, at least, worst case scenario.

I think there could be some discussion about it if the Cowboys happen to start 0-3.

But what kind of start would it take for the Cowboys to bench Dakota?

Do you think it's possible that he loses three games in a row, to start, and then remains a starter?
You seriously think if we start 0-3 the team will have a discussion about switching from Dak to Cooper Rush? Seriously? And I’m not talking about 50 morons on a message board, I’m talking about the team. Idiots here already probably think we should make the switch.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You seriously think if we start 0-3 the team will have a discussion about switching from Dak to Cooper Rush? Seriously? And I’m not talking about 50 morons on a message board, I’m talking about the team. Idiots here already probably think we should make the switch.

That's not what I said . . . .

Cowfan75

Reaction score
What about this can't fans understand? Dak is going NOWHERE. Even if he lost every single game next season, he's not being benched. We just dumped Cooper because he trashed Dak a bit...and you think Jerry will turn on his Golden Boy?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Fair, although Romo had some great teams as well.

Nobody can honestly claim to "know" what we have behind Dak. I liked Rush last year, but it took everything he had to pull off that game. That's not a knock on him. I just see him as a guy who can sub in but not necessarily run an offense long term. Nooch has a long ways to go before I'd be convinced he is able to even play to CRs level.

Grier is an unknown but that makes him the highest possible upside guy in my mind. As it also makes him even more likely to be cut.

In any event Dak is good enough; the average back waiting for an opportunity probably won't get the chance to pass him on the depth chart.

I'm not arguing that Dak isn't good enough.

I agree he's one of the better QBs in the league.

Probably the best QB of all-time against bums.

I say that as a joke, kind of. But for real. His record against teams .500 or under is crazy.

Reactions: CWR

Flamma

Reaction score
What's not smart is not having a guy you think can at least win 14 games in a season, if Dak gets hurt in, say, game 3. Or 9 even.

We need a guy we can rely on to win several in a row.

Do we have anyone like that?

If you ask me, right now that guy would be DiNucci.

Or am I just not giving Rush enough props?

We just need a backup that can be able to keep the team competitive if our starter goes out for several weeks. We don't want to go 0-6 if Dak is out 6 weeks. What point is there in paying a backup for that?

I'm not sure we have that, but we did beat the Vikings with him. But from what I've seen from Dinucci, he would have had to improve leaps and bounds from the last time I've seen him play. He was nowhere near ready.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is purely hypothetical. And for us, we think, at least, worst case scenario.

I think there could be some discussion about it if the Cowboys happen to start 0-3.

Do you think it's possible that he loses three games in a row, to start, and then remains a starter?
Dak would have to play like poop for the first 12 games
Even that might not be enough.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We just need a backup that can be able to keep the team competitive if our starter goes out for several weeks. We don't want to go 0-6 if Dak is out 6 weeks. What point is there in paying a backup for that?

I'm not sure we have that, but we did beat the Vikings with him. But from what I've seen from Dinucci, he would have had to improve leaps and bounds from the last time I've seen him play. He was nowhere near ready.

Yes, you're correct, he is not ready.. .

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
dak is good enough for lesser teams if you want better, "go find another team". good enough.

and one fan "idiot" said dak was better than Brady, Mahomes, and Rodgers. smh.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Unless they’re rookies, GMs almost always say the starting QB needs to work his way through any issues.

Jarntt

Reaction score
That's not what I said . . . .
Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seems to be exactly what you said.

Background: Clearly Dak is the #1 and clearly for right now Rush is #2. Thread title: "what kind of start would it take to bench the QB"

you said: "I think there could be some discussion about it if the Cowboys happen to start 0-3."
I said you said: "You seriously think if we start 0-3 the team will have a discussion about switching from Dak to Cooper Rush?"

Or are you thinking we go to our #3 or #4 QB?

Reid1boys

Reaction score

he could lose the first 6 games and he is still the starter.