What options do Cowboys have to move on from Prescott?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You would think that a guy as smart as Jerry wouldn't allow himself to be in this conundrum. It's like he had no foresight. He had to have known that a QB with no trade clause is a bad idea? Jerry and Stephen really screwed up another player in the long line of screwups for Dallas. So I'd assume he'd bring his business acumen into negotiations this time and allow us to move on after a year if possible. We should be able to trade him right now, but almost can't.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Restructure the current cap hit adding money into the two voidable years (already in the current contract) after this season, just to buy time, and negotiate for a contract that is team friendly before or during the 2024 season.

If it doesn't look like a good deal, let it ride and eat the dead money in 2025 and 2026, like was done with Zeke.

I'm not saying that is what I want to happen, just that it is probably what is going to happen.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Wow, did you come up with those responses all by yourself? Sounds like you are the type who ran away from home but couldn't find the circus. Don't ever give up on your future as a clown, you are a true bozo.
You being a blind bozo does not make you much better. Yeah replace Dak for a guy with a 1-4 playoff record and a 3-10 Monday Night Football record. Such a "upgrade."

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You really believe our ownership is prepared to transition at this time?
there is no way to know what the crazy jones boys are going to do, anything is possible.

All I do know is if you wanted to move on from dak now you could do it.They dont need a qb better than dak, just a good bus driver ,
and the better defense many here seem to think Zimmer will create.
Use Lance and or Rush, and then you have 55 million extra to spend on FA each year.
QB cost should be a big consideration, and it seems everyone including jones boys ignore that.

I dont think any of this will happen though, jerery will take easy way out and just sign dak for whatever he wants.

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
Just by reading the comments I realize why we are stuck in mediocrity...

Some people are afraid of rebuilding.

I can guarantee one thing, if Dak remains our QB, our SB drought will remain for however long he is around.

In 8 years, we have seen no indication from him that he can beat 4 good teams in a row. It has NEVER happened.

Playing the odds and numbers games, we have a higher probability of drafting a Hof QB than Dak has of winning a SB.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just by reading the comments I realize why we are stuck in mediocrity...

Some people are afraid of rebuilding.

I can guarantee one thing, if Dak remains our QB, our SB drought will remain for however long he is around.

In 8 years, we have seen no indication from him that he can beat 4 good teams in a row. It has NEVER happened.

Playing the odds and numbers games, we have a higher probability of drafting a Hof QB than Dak has of winning a SB.
People are so scared of having a bad season, as if it doesn't result in the same number of rings as we've had in almost 30 years.

They don't even want an open qb competition with the guys on the roster, or to draft a qb to compete with him. They are just so scared they might have been wrong about Dak (and really, they know at this point) they'd rather watch us send him out there for 5 more years of failure and blaming everything around him for the stream of piss that runs down his leg in the big games.

cristglo

Reaction score
Cowboy fans.

This isn’t about what we think we should do but what options do you think our ownership is looking at.
There is none but pay him Jerry knows he’s getting up there in age he see his time running out No way they let him stand pat on his current contract they need the cap space, don’t mean to sound hateful but it doesn’t matter what we want it just isn’t going to happen Dak will be the Qb for the next several years just have to try an embrace it.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We haven't won a super bowl since we rebuilt and went 1-15 in 1989.

Who here is willing to have a 1-16 season next year and have a contender in 2025?

That's the real issue.

Billy the kid asked Pat Garrett if he had patience...He said "Billy, I have the patience of an oyster"

Jerry ain't no Pat Garret.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think the only option ownership is looking at is extending him. Dak was runner-up in the MVP race. It may have been by a lot, but I don't think most any GM would be looking to replace Dak. I think they would all extend him.
Dak wasn’t going to be MVP of anything.

He was 2nd team All Pro.

But they only count the 1st team.

He finally made a Pro Bowl, his first since 2018.

Of course, he destroyed the playoff game again.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
There is none but pay him Jerry knows he’s getting up there in age he see his time running out No way they let him stand pat on his current contract they need the cap space, don’t mean to sound hateful but it doesn’t matter what we want it just isn’t going to happen Dak will be the Qb for the next several years just have to try an embrace it.
Then why make the trade for Lance?

Why bother?

Plan B. Insurance.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
exactly. Which is why I feel something will happen via trade. Jerry isnt about to do this when his HC is in his final year. No way. Somebody not getting paid.
I looked at the trade options for Dallas.

It doesn’t benefit us anymore than a Post June 1 cut.

We might get a draft pick I guess.

But no team is gonna want that cap hit.

Logical move is to Cut Dak in early March.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Lol. That is what I figured.
Yeah, I mean define "better." We generally use stats, playoff wins and championships to determine who's better. Cousins is 1-4 and Dak 2-5 in the playoffs. I just think Dak has had a better supporting cast throughout his career.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Just move on from him and don't waste more time a team lead by Dak is going nowhere.

Adreme

Reaction score
I looked at the trade options for Dallas.

It doesn’t benefit us anymore than a Post June 1 cut.

We might get a draft pick I guess.

But no team is gonna want that cap hit.

Logical move is to Cut Dak in early March.
I mean the cap hit for a team that trades for him is 34m for one year, possibly 29m if Dallas has to eat the roster bonus. That is nothing for a franchise QB and certainly nothing for a guy who just made 2nd team all pro. The bigger problem is that he is on the last year of his deal and teams are not exactly going to pay a premium for a guy on the last year of his deal who they, by contract, cannot tag. Also Dak has no reason to play ball on a trade and can dictate where he goes if he wanted to making his value far lower because there would be no competition in a trade for him beyond what he allows.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just move on from him and don't waste more time a team lead by Dak is going nowhere.
It’s all about perspective and priorities.

Winning championships hasn’t been the utmost priority this era under Jethro . Remaining relevant and interesting is enough to hype and promote generating record revenue.

To them this is somewhere. Despite however frustrating it is to most fans. Winning 12 games and making playoffs isn’t bad for an 80 year old part time GM playing out his fantasies as a celebrity football guy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is what it is. I waved my white flag years ago. This old fool priorities are out of whack. What are we gonna do.