What options do Cowboys have to move on from Prescott?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
No one is side stepping anything. I haven't seen a single poster guarantee you would immediately get the QB you want or need. But it's unreasonable to not try.

No one has said Dak is the ONLY problem but all reasonable posters have said he is the single player, playing the most important position who is has proven he is unable to do his job at the level needed to compete for a championship.

Dak isn't giving a discount if he takes less. He's still going to be vastly overpaid for his talents. Older QB's who have proven themselves unworthy shouldn't be getting anywhere near top pay regardless of "next man up" philosophy that agents like to spout. That's just common sense. It's not a Dak specific thing. Teams are starting to wake up about giving middling QB's top dollar, fully guaranteed, etc., contracts. There is about to be a correction in the market place.

Watching a QB, say Jake Browning, start a playoff game for us would at least be intriguing. I wouldn't know going in that he was going to fail. Even if he fails, at his salary & contract conditions, I would have hope we could perhaps get it right going forward. Whether that means putting better team around him or moving on from him.

You mention side stepping. Why is it that any other position can be evaluated by what they have done on the field and fans are completely fine with saying "We have to move on from that guy". But are completely scared to risk change even when they acknowledge the QB hasn't really earned "We can win with this guy" confidence?
How much are you paying Brock Purdy?

How much are you paying a non-Super Bowl winning QB you drafted that looked decent and you like his play...but he and his agent are asking for near max and two of your division rivals need a QB bad? Youre letting your non-Super Bowl winning QB walk to your division rival who will pay him? What about your locker room getting pissed that you let the dude walk?

Are you even considering things that real GM's have to consider?

I get that its all fake anyway...but if I have to play like its real...you should too.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No one is side stepping anything. I haven't seen a single poster guarantee you would immediately get the QB you want or need. But it's unreasonable to not try.

No one has said Dak is the ONLY problem but all reasonable posters have said he is the single player, playing the most important position who is has proven he is unable to do his job at the level needed to compete for a championship.

Dak isn't giving a discount if he takes less. He's still going to be vastly overpaid for his talents. Older QB's who have proven themselves unworthy shouldn't be getting anywhere near top pay regardless of "next man up" philosophy that agents like to spout. That's just common sense. It's not a Dak specific thing. Teams are starting to wake up about giving middling QB's top dollar, fully guaranteed, etc., contracts. There is about to be a correction in the market place.

Watching a QB, say Jake Browning, start a playoff game for us would at least be intriguing. I wouldn't know going in that he was going to fail. Even if he fails, at his salary & contract conditions, I would have hope we could perhaps get it right going forward. Whether that means putting better team around him or moving on from him.

You mention side stepping. Why is it that any other position can be evaluated by what they have done on the field and fans are completely fine with saying "We have to move on from that guy". But are completely scared to risk change even when they acknowledge the QB hasn't really earned "We can win with this guy" confidence?
You are a summing Jerry does not have the QB he wants.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
How much are you paying Brock Purdy?

How much are you paying a non-Super Bowl winning QB you drafted that looked decent and you like his play...but he and his agent are asking for near max and two of your division rivals need a QB bad? Youre letting your non-Super Bowl winning QB walk to your division rival who will pay him? What about your locker room getting pissed that you let the dude walk?

Are you even considering things that real GM's have to consider?

I get that its all fake anyway...but if I have to play like its real...you should too.
I'm evaluating them on their actual play. If they aren't willing to play for an amount that lines up with that, then yes, I'm willing to let them move on. A rival paying a QB who can't get it done is a win\win for me.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You are a summing Jerry does not have the QB he wants.
Jerry may have a QB he is comfortable with but even Jerry knows he isn't the guy.

Why ya'll comparing me to Jerry? I'm answering the question as a GM who's focus is on winning titles not an owner only interested in the profit.

MarkP88

Reaction score
14 pages and every one us, no matter where they stand on the Dak spectrum, knows with absolute certainty that he's getting extended. There are plenty of options if you wanted to have them - but Jerry doesn't, so it's moot.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I'm evaluating them on their actual play. If they aren't willing to play for an amount that lines up with that, then yes, I'm willing to let them move on. A rival paying a QB who can't get it done is a win\win for me.
So youre letting Purdy walk come contract time?

Looks like a Playoff and Super Bowl loser to me. Best coaches and talent around him and cant get it done.

Put it on record...youre letting Purdy walk because so arent giving him top dollar is that correct?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry may have a QB he is comfortable with but even Jerry knows he isn't the guy.

Why ya'll comparing me to Jerry? I'm answering the question as a GM who's focus is on winning titles not an owner only interested in the profit.
Well maybe you are starting to understand the problem. Jerry the owner and Jeruh the GM can't seem to get on the same page and figure it out.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Got it. Maybe you are not in the game for a reason.
Yes, I wasn't born into mega money. Nor did I pursue a career in sports management. Neither changes the validity of my points on the subject at hand though.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Well maybe you are starting to understand the problem. Jerry the owner and Jeruh the GM can't seem to get on the same page and figure it out.
I was confused for a while after Jimmy left. I thought Jerry was really trying to win. But that was a long time ago. I've been clear since then.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
So youre letting Purdy walk come contract time?

Looks like a Playoff and Super Bowl loser to me. Best coaches and talent around him and cant get it done.

Put it on record...youre letting Purdy walk because so arent giving him top dollar is that correct?
You are trying to put words in my mouth while only offering vague \ general statements.

Purdy hasn't shown himself to be the weak link & is young. Everything after that would have very specific as to what I would accept or reject.

So, you are saying he's a loser? As if he has been the reason his team hasn't won?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You are trying to put words in my mouth while only offering vague \ general statements.

Purdy hasn't shown himself to be the weak link & is young. Everything after that would have very specific as to what I would accept or reject.

So, you are saying he's a loser? As if he has been the reason his team hasn't won?
Yup.

He didnt win. Hes the QB with the best talent and coaches. Choker trait.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
It is what it is. I waved my white flag years ago. This old fool priorities are out of whack. What are we gonna do.
Do you know how many years this complaint has gone on. And how many years before DAK when Tony was the hated quarterback, it’s just not going to happen. Dak probably will not take us to a Super Bowl. However, he will absolutely get extended. Period.

75boyz

Reaction score
Just by reading the comments I realize why we are stuck in mediocrity...

Some people are afraid of rebuilding.

I can guarantee one thing, if Dak remains our QB, our SB drought will remain for however long he is around.

In 8 years, we have seen no indication from him that he can beat 4 good teams in a row. It has NEVER happened.

Playing the odds and numbers games, we have a higher probability of drafting a Hof QB than Dak has of winning a SB.
There is an actual large group of fans here who will criticize Jerry and blame him for everything while at the same time support him in continuing to pay Dak. Doesn't make any sense.

They need some guarantee or plan that moving on from Dak won't take away their regular season participation trophies.

Like Mountain says, it's just indicative of how far standards have lowered in regards to not being able to acknowledge how elite QB play could truly alter the direction of this team.

They have been broken to the point of thinking that the Romo and Dak talent level is the best the team can do.

Scared of change, so stick with mediocrity over risking to be better.
Quarterback purgatory.
It's pathetic.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Dak puts up top 5 league leading stats year in and year out without turning the ball over very much.

Im paying for that and asking the defense and coaches to step up.

We get it...you would pay Eli more than Peyton if it fit your narrative.

Bunch of side-stepping. The illusion isnt smart enough to make it make sense.

Imagine your existence is profit seeking...even if that means leaving a wake of trash behind you and taking advantage of anything and everything you can. Swell existence.