What options do Cowboys have to move on from Prescott?

Redline360

Reaction score
Love how some people have become so satisfied on regular season records and stats that they can't see the truth.

Loser mentality. Why Jerry will never succeed and certain posters eat it up. Fantasy football chasers .

It's one thing to debate regular stats if your quarterback plays well in the postseason as you have a case of the surrounding talent needing to improve but not when your quarterback is completely useless in the postseason and plays a huge part in those losses.

Swagger

Reaction score
That doesn't change that he was second among all other choices in MVP voting and second among all other choices for All-Pro. We may want to make those things meaningless because of the playoff game, but I don't think the front office views them that way.

I don't know why our fans feel it necessary to demean our players' individual accomplishments just because we came up short of what we want. I'm not the biggest Dak fan, but I see no reason to downplay how he played during the regular season. As I've said, I can live with moving on from him, just as I could have with McCarthy, but I don't think it is realistic to expect Dallas to do that. Most teams with a player who was second in MVP voting and second-team All-Pro would not.
Then ask yourself how many other QBs in the league would have achieved similar stats with this roster including a dominant defense and a kicker who was automatic during the regular season playing mostly really bad teams particularly with horrific pass defenses?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
No one is explaining why "Real" GM's are not doing what the arm chair GM's suggest.

Going further...none of them want to explain how they would handle the Brock Purdy or Trevor Lawrence situations assuming neither one wins a Super Bowl before their 2nd contract.

Convenient side stepping.

The reverse psychology attempt on this board is a failure. The conditioning attempt to thought-control posters into thinking not paying players is disgusting as well.

"I'll leave a wake of trash in existence as long as I profit" lol

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Then ask yourself how many other QBs in the league would have achieved similar stats with this roster including a dominant defense and a kicker who was automatic during the regular season playing mostly really bad teams particularly with horrific pass defenses?
How much are you paying Brock Purdy when his agent asks for top Dollar when he has failed to produce with best talent and coaches around him?

Youre letting him walk?

75boyz

Reaction score
Love how some people have become so satisfied on regular season records and stats that they can't see the truth.

Loser mentality. Why Jerry will never succeed and certain posters eat it up. Fantasy football chasers .

It's one thing to debate regular stats if your quarterback plays well in the postseason as you have a case of the surrounding talent needing to improve but not when your quarterback is completely useless in the postseason and plays a huge part in those losses.
Preach it brother.
It's almost like it's a bunch of distant or not so distant Jones relatives continuing this die on Prescott Hill mantra.
Like some reverse troll attempt to keep the team down by continuing to pay Dak.

Somehow probably on Jerry's pay roll I bet.
It's the only explanation at this point, lol.

Or pure stupidity.
I guess that's possible too.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well, it seems to boils down to two thoughts. 1. Those who hate Dak and just want him gone. They don't know or care what happens next. To them, anything is better than going 12-5, winning the division and going to the playoffs with Dak. They would rather go 5-12 or 8-9 for the next 10 years than stick with Dak and have a chance to do something.

The 2nd thought is, we don't have another option at this point and we don't want to eat $62 million against the CAP this year if we cut Dak. That would mean 2024 would be a lost year almost certainly. There is the trade option so we could at least pick up some good draft picks for Dak, but Dak has a no trade clause. Unless Dak goes to Jerry and requests a trade it is not happening. The only real options are stick with Dak and extend him, or cut him and take the CAP hit in 2024. Then hope Lance comes around, or maybe in 2025 after going 5-12 they will get a high enough draft pick to select a potential Dak replacement.

It boils down to accepting what we have, and trying to build a better team around Dak, or facing the unknown for however many years it takes to find a QB better than Dak.

In all of this we still have an owner who thinks going all in is paying vet minimum for a few free agents to fill holes in the roster.

If the fans thought that the 2023 team with the inability to run the football, or stop the run, was good enough to get them past the best teams in the league then they should start facing reality. The Cowboys were never that good and the Packers exploited all the Cowboys' weaknesses on offense and defense. We should be focused on fixed what we know is most broken.
You are 100% correct.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The time for "all in" was when Dak was still on his rookie deal. That was the window. If they were serious about making a SB run it should have been then. Instead they did nothing but say they liked their guys and kept at it.
Never should have paid Zeke. That was our all in move.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They tried, in their inept ways, Zeke, Cooper, Jerry just isn’t the football guy he thinks he is, it’s always the “it’s a championship team “ it’s been his way for years and one of those mistakes was the Jason Garrett fiasco. I learned that you just can’t fix stupid.
It is more like the Jeruh Fiasco. Just look at what he did to Jimmy and how long it took him to reconcile.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don’t have high expectations for 24.
Well, as I've said before I've lost having any "expectations" years ago. I watch and see what happens.

But putting aside Dak for the moment, even if I wanted to have expectations for 24, I would not, the Cowboys have far too many needs to be able to fill them all in one offseason. At best you can expect 2 starters from the draft and get maybe 2 real impact players in free agency.

That's 4 spots, let's say you can cover OT, C, LB and S. That leaves OG and DT that still need help.

Might be able, with some luck, to make do without two of those spots and win it all, but that's a faint hope and not one I'd count on...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh he knows his faults, remember the comment he made about firing himself years ago?

He HAS to win a SB with himself as the owner and general manager. Nothing else is acceptable to Jerry. I believe deep inside he knows he can't do it, but giving control to someone else, he just can't do....
Exactly right. This is why the greed counterargument fails logically. Jerry Jones, owner and president of the Dallas Cowboys, would make as much or more profit with a better run team. His inflexible motivation is based primarily upon what you just said.

It is why threads like these have always revolved around What Jerry Jones Will Do. Everything he does (no matter how involved anyone thinks he is) is dependent on his final say as GM in football matters. His oversight has a domino effect. There would be a different domino effect under another qualified football executive. Someone else with GM authority could:
  • Organize the front office with new fresher, knowledgeable faces
  • Ditto for scouting
  • Ditto for coaching
  • And weigh the pros-and-cons of retaining and/or acquiring certain players that is systematically different from how it has been done for three decades
That is the type of change possible with Jones relinquishing his two generation-old iron death grip on football operations. The only way Jones loses is entirely in his head for not taking 'full' credit as a football genius. It does not prevent him from receiving the same significant credit afforded to all Super Bowl winning owners. Or even Super Bowl runner-up owners.

The alternative is a win-win for Jones. Only he messes it up for himself and those who follow his franchise.

75boyz

Reaction score
Define your penalty if your trailblazing goes wrong? What should happen to you?

Define what your penalty should be if Dak goes elsewhere and succeeds while your team is trying to find a new QB for 5 years.

Define how long it will take you to turn this into a super bowl winning team before your penalty kicks in.

Coward...low hanging fruit snatch grab. Cant even make sense. Are you smart enough to figure it out without leaving a wake of trash?
Coward, not quite.
Naw, ya see I served to protect the free speech you're enjoying to insult me on a message board. So you're welcome.
As to any other response to your delusional psychedelic post here...
Don't smoke crack.