What QB would you want ?

CalMor

Reaction score
Since Troy Aikman retired, what legit free-agent QB would you have wanted us to sign. It must be a QB that we really had a chance to get. Please, no "what ifs"

blindzebra

Reaction score
What's been out there?

Delhomme, Plummer, Griese, Collins, Warner, Testaverde, and Bledsoe not exactly a who's who of greatness.

In hindsight we should have went after Delhomme two years ago, and Warner or Collins over Vinny last year.

As it is, all we are doing is spinning our wheels.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
What's been out there?

Delhomme, Plummer, Griese, Collins, Warner, Testaverde, and Bledsoe not exactly a who's who of greatness.

In hindsight we should have went after Delhomme two years ago, and Warner or Collins over Vinny last year.

I would have taken Jake Plummer. Slowly but steadily has he become a great quarterback. Brian Griese was also a free agent and he jump-started his career in Tampa Bay a little bit. He ousted Brad Johnson for that QB job as well as Simms.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I usually don't like to get caught up in the could've would've, but I wish we would've gone hard after Collins.

blindzebra

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
I would have taken Jake Plummer. Slowly but steadily has he become a great quarterback. Brian Griese was also a free agent and he jump-started his career in Tampa Bay a little bit. He ousted Brad Johnson for that QB job as well as Simms.

Now I know who you are, you are Pete Prisco.:rolleyes:

Plummer great?:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Thanks I needed a laugh.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Thanks I needed a laugh.

Be nice.

I would have taken Elvis Grbac. :liarliar:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would have tried to get Collins and I probably would have also gone after Griese. He wasn't a popular choice when available but looking back, he might have been a decent pick up. He did finish 6th in the league last year.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Thanks I needed a laugh.

Laugh all you want but if you look at your quarterbacks over the last five years, you'd be dying for someone like him. His days in Arizona may have given him a bad reputation but since he's been in Denver, he's played a lot better.

CalMor

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I usually don't like to get caught up in the could've would've, but I wish we would've gone hard after Collins.

Agree with every word of this answer. Collins has put up some great numbers. Him and Moss are a perfect fit. (talent wise)

Alexander

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
His days in Arizona may have given him a bad reputation but since he's been in Denver, he's played a lot better.

He has been horrific in each of their playoff exits the last few years.

He might have been better than what we had, but would you feel good paying him the kind of money he has been getting for his kind of production? He is overpaid for what he is putting out.

The system he is in with Denver is a QB-friendly system and he still struggles at times. I don't see how he would have been anything close to above average with us.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like BZ said, it's not like there was a huge talent base out there for QBs. And then you have to think about the timeframe of when we would have been able to pursue these QBs. Immediately after Aikman retired in 2001, there wasn't a whole lot out there then.

Collins was unavailable
Delhomme was an unknown.
Randall Cunningham? Been there, done that.
Jeff Blake? Hmmm, no. I wasn't feeling him by a long shot.

There was a reason why we signed Tony Banks to a one-year deal. While he was a mediocre signing to begin with, I would have kept him through the season rather than cutting him like we did, and then going and picking up Ryan Leaf.

I also would have kept Anthony Wright. I wish we'd given him more of a shot than we did. He's performed well enuff in his limited duty here and in B-More.

Hindsight is 20/20, but of the 03 FA QBs that were available, I would've chosen Collins. Of the 04 FA QBs, I would've chosen Warner. The thing to remember is if we'd have kept Banks, maybe he would've done well enuff that we sign him to another couple years. Or maybe the coaching staff thinks that Anthony Wright has shown he's worth taking an extra look. Does QC even hit the field? Our QB direction could have been totally different based on what we did immediately after Aikman retired. Everything we've done since then has been predicated on fixing bad personnel moves by gambling on long shots. Too many coulda, shoulda, wouldas to go back in time.

The whole QC period was one of the most frustrating time in my life as a Cowboy fan. That's one of the main reasons why I don't mind the rate at which Henson is being developed. He's a longshot, but I feel that whenever he gets on the field, he should be better prepared to handle the QB duties for an NFL team. Whether he turns into a franchise QB, who knows...

blindzebra

Reaction score
Alexander said:
He has been horrific in each of their playoff exits the last few years.

He might have been better than what we had, but would you feel good paying him the kind of money he has been getting for his kind of production? He is overpaid for what he is putting out.

The system he is in with Denver is a QB-friendly system and he still struggles at times. I don't see how he would have been anything close to above average with us.

Tallest dwarf syndrome.

He's the best we have had since Troy...well, that is not saying much when that list includes Wright, Stoener, Leaf, Carter, and Hutchinson.

Hell, Vinny was the best we have had since Troy.

It's time to have another Troy.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Drew Henson.

I heard some team picked him up but I'm not sure who it was because they haven't played him.

Alexander

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Tallest dwarf syndrome.

No, worse.

Lowered standard syndrome.

Anything is better than what we have had, so even the mediocre make our collective mouthes water.

The same thing is happening right now with free safety. We are starving to the point where a package of crackers looks like a four course meal.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
blindzebra said:
What's been out there?

Take Warner off of that and I would agree with you.

Warner IMO....has lost it.

Either way not really a great list to choose from IMO. :(

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Peyton Manning when he was headed to UFA before getting his new contract.

Other than him the laundry list is all unimpressive.

I've always liked Trent Dilfer but more for his attitude than anything else.

ravidubey

Reaction score
I think if BP had known QC would melt down he would have gone after Collins.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
I think if BP had known QC would melt down he would have gone after Collins.

In retrospect, I'm sure BP probably kicks himself over not paying Delhomme when they had the chance. Carolina actually got themselves a pretty nice deal right there. I think he's well worth his contract.

On a side note, I don't lament the FA QBs we haven't signed as much as I do the rookie QBs we've passed on. I really wish we would have taken a couple of guys in the draft when presented with the opportunities.