What QB would you want ?

twa

Reaction score
I thought Collins would have been a good choice...I also liked Brunell :eek: ,However I am glad now the Skins overpaid for him :D

jay cee

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Like BZ said, it's not like there was a huge talent base out there for QBs. And then you have to think about the timeframe of when we would have been able to pursue these QBs. Immediately after Aikman retired in 2001, there wasn't a whole lot out there then.

Collins was unavailable
Delhomme was an unknown.
Randall Cunningham? Been there, done that.
Jeff Blake? Hmmm, no. I wasn't feeling him by a long shot.

There was a reason why we signed Tony Banks to a one-year deal. While he was a mediocre signing to begin with, I would have kept him through the season rather than cutting him like we did, and then going and picking up Ryan Leaf.

I also would have kept Anthony Wright. I wish we'd given him more of a shot than we did. He's performed well enuff in his limited duty here and in B-More.

Hindsight is 20/20, but of the 03 FA QBs that were available, I would've chosen Collins. Of the 04 FA QBs, I would've chosen Warner. The thing to remember is if we'd have kept Banks, maybe he would've done well enuff that we sign him to another couple years. Or maybe the coaching staff thinks that Anthony Wright has shown he's worth taking an extra look. Does QC even hit the field? Our QB direction could have been totally different based on what we did immediately after Aikman retired. Everything we've done since then has been predicated on fixing bad personnel moves by gambling on long shots. Too many coulda, shoulda, wouldas to go back in time.

The whole QC period was one of the most frustrating time in my life as a Cowboy fan. That's one of the main reasons why I don't mind the rate at which Henson is being developed. He's a longshot, but I feel that whenever he gets on the field, he should be better prepared to handle the QB duties for an NFL team. Whether he turns into a franchise QB, who knows...
Fantastic post WG.

Of course I'm only saying that because I totally view it the same way. :D

jay cee

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I think of all the QB's that were realistically available, we got the best one in Bledsoe.
I like Bledsoe ok for a stopgap QB, but I really wanted them to go after Collins last year.

jay cee

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
And Collins wouldn't have been a stopgap?
He most certainly would have been a stopgap. My apologies for miswording that post. :eek::

Tristan

Reaction score
I think Drew Henson is a phenominal prospect and eventually will be our franchise QB, and as good or better than any prospect that has come out since Tom Brady. Now that we have Bledsoe, I think our QB situation is Ideal. That said without counting Henson the QB's that I would have wanted to have are these:
#1 Carson Palmer, I feel we could have traded up with Cincinatti for this pick if we really wanted to, they wanted Newman and I feel this would have been a great trade.He is Aikmanesque.
#2 Phillip Rivers, If we still had not aquired a possible future QB I would have packaged alot to get this guy, he will be amazing.
#3 Daunte Culpepper, if we had not made the Galloway trade this might have been possible.
#4 Drew Brees, see #3
#5 Byron Leftwich I think Henson is better, so I am happy with the Newman pick, but as stated, if we did not get Henson this might have been the better pick.
As for FA I don't like any of them, Dellome's good but I don't see him as our type of franchise QB.
I think Drew Henson is that Blue Chip Stud superstar Caliber QB who longterm will prove to better than the afforementioned, and bring us multiple SuperBowls, with MVP type performances.
HIS TIME WILL COME!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My answer is simple......NONE.

This problem should have been addressed in the draft BEFORE Aikman retired.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone is Jonesing for Collins. He had a horrible year in Oakland last year. You can't say he didn't have anyone to throw to: Porter, Gabriel and Curry. That might not be a list that strikes fear into you, but they are pretty good WRs. Collins just sucks. Look at his last year with the Giants: 3110 yards, 13 TDs and 16 INTs. With Oakland, Collins had 3495 yards, 21 TDs and 20 INTs.

Vinny posted almost identical numbers. There really wasn't a QB out there last year. It was a "let's make due" year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH said:
I don't know why everyone is Jonesing for Collins. He had a horrible year in Oakland last year. You can't say he didn't have anyone to throw to: Porter, Gabriel and Curry. That might not be a list that strikes fear into you, but they are pretty good WRs. Collins just sucks. Look at his last year with the Giants: 3110 yards, 13 TDs and 16 INTs. With Oakland, Collins had 3495 yards, 21 TDs and 20 INTs.

Vinny posted almost identical numbers. There really wasn't a QB out there last year. It was a "let's make due" year.

The timing offense is not easy to install. You can have excellent WRs and even a talented QB but until everybody is on the same page, your going to have issues. Your also going to throw INTs because the area your working with is precise. It the Receiver isn't there, on time and in position to make the catch, the ball will be picked. Your throwing in front of the DBs so it's usually not even a difficult catch to make, if your a DB. Same with a QB. You have to be on time in your drops, sets, delivery and most of all, you have to be accurate. It takes more then a year to get down. Collins numbers, actually weren't that bad considering.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
I really would have liked to see Warner given a shot here. With the right talent around him and a healthy hand he was almost unstoppable.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
aardvark said:
I really would have liked to see Warner given a shot here. With the right talent around him and a healthy hand he was almost unstoppable.

Well, I agree with this. When that guy is right, he's awsome.

kartr

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Drew Henson.

I heard some team picked him up but I'm not sure who it was because they haven't played him.

With good reason.

kartr

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
I think if BP had known QC would melt down he would have gone after Collins.

BP did go after Collins in April of 2004. It's in the archives on this site. That's part of what caused QC's meltdown, he had been told that they wouldn't bring in a veteran to replace him. Collin's turned the deal down because we only wanted him for one year until Henson was ready. This is what got to QC, he was told that 2004 was his to build upon a successful 2003 season, then they turned around drafted Henson to replace him in the future and Collins to replace him in 2004. Carter then knew that they were just stringing him along and felt betrayed by his Parcell, who was his father-figure.

kartr

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think Leftwich was worth taking. I really liked him coming out. We would not have had to trade anything to get him. In fact, we probably could have traded down a bit. I wouldn't have minded taking Grossman or Simms in 2003 either. In 2004, I liked Matt Schaub and Cody Pickett. I would have liked to see us take either guy. Last year, I loved Smith but we would have had to trade up and he was not a popular pick with Dallas fans. However, Rodgers taken with the 24th pick was very doable. I liked Andrew Walter a lot and McPherson in the 5th round was a steal IMO. None of these guys would have constitued giving up draft picks.

You left out Jason Campbell, he was there at 25. Most scouts had him ahead of Rodgers,plus we could have put the screws to Washington who was rumoured to be going after him at 25.

kartr

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
I don't think so. David Carr hasn't been impressive because he hasn't had a decent offense long enough. Since Andre Johnson came out and if Domanick Davis can kick it into high gear, I really think Carr will have a stellar offense compared to his offense of two years ago.

Plus, the Texans have a little bit better of a DB corps with the addition of Philip Buchanon. Dunta Robinson and Buchanon are deadly when healthy.

Domanick Davis is better than Hambrick and A. Johnson is better than either Galloway or Glenn at this point. I'm not all that impressed with Carr, he only plays well against bad defenses like the Colts and Greenbay, he was just awful against the Jets and Cleveland last year. The Jets had a decent defense, but Kyle Boller looked like Joe Montana against the Jets defense last year, whereas Carr threw two bad ints up for grabs that practically handed the Jets the game.

kartr

Reaction score
Idgit said:
Me, too. I even preferred him to Matt Hassleback when the rumor that he might make it to FA was going around at the end of last year. Not sure I could explain why, though.

Hassleback only plays well against bad defenses. Last year he played almost the same schedule that we had in 2003 when our offense was struggling and he Shaun Alexander in his backfield and two good young receivers.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
You left out Jason Campbell, he was there at 25. Most scouts had him ahead of Rodgers,plus we could have put the screws to Washington who was rumoured to be going after him at 25.
Campbell was not rated ahead of Aaron Rodgers by "most scouts." Aaron Rodgers was considered over Alex Smith as the top pic, was invited to the Draft, expected to go in the top 10, and his stock fell.