What QB would you want ?

CalMor

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
In retrospect, I'm sure BP probably kicks himself over not paying Delhomme when they had the chance. Carolina actually got themselves a pretty nice deal right there. I think he's well worth his contract.

On a side note, I don't lament the FA QBs we haven't signed as much as I do the rookie QBs we've passed on. I really wish we would have taken a couple of guys in the draft when presented with the opportunities.

Since 2000, I haven't really liked many of the QB that have came out. I believe Carr was the only QB that I thought we should have made some stupid trades to get. I dont think that way now. Good thing Im not running the show.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CalMor said:
Since 2000, I haven't really liked many of the QB that have came out. I believe Carr was the only QB that I thought we should have made some stupid trades to get. I dont think that way now. Good thing Im not running the show.

I think Leftwich was worth taking. I really liked him coming out. We would not have had to trade anything to get him. In fact, we probably could have traded down a bit. I wouldn't have minded taking Grossman or Simms in 2003 either. In 2004, I liked Matt Schaub and Cody Pickett. I would have liked to see us take either guy. Last year, I loved Smith but we would have had to trade up and he was not a popular pick with Dallas fans. However, Rodgers taken with the 24th pick was very doable. I liked Andrew Walter a lot and McPherson in the 5th round was a steal IMO. None of these guys would have constitued giving up draft picks.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
1) Trent Green

2) Rich Gannon (not sure if he fits in this time frame)

Both guys have put up tremendous numbers over the past couple of years. Gannon's long in the tooth now, but would have been fantastic to have over the past 4-5 years. Green would be great all-around.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
CalMor said:

I don't think so. David Carr hasn't been impressive because he hasn't had a decent offense long enough. Since Andre Johnson came out and if Domanick Davis can kick it into high gear, I really think Carr will have a stellar offense compared to his offense of two years ago.

Plus, the Texans have a little bit better of a DB corps with the addition of Philip Buchanon. Dunta Robinson and Buchanon are deadly when healthy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Danny White said:
1) Trent Green

Both guys have put up tremendous numbers over the past couple of years. Gannon's long in the tooth now, but would have been fantastic to have over the past 4-5 years. Green would be great all-around.

Now Trent Green is a guy that I would have really liked to sign.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think Leftwich was worth taking. I really liked him coming out. We would not have had to trade anything to get him. In fact, we probably could have traded down a bit.

I agree.

Leftwhich or Terrence Newman.

I think the Jaguars have the better of that deal so far.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I agree.

Leftwhich or Terrence Newman.

I think the Jaguars have the better of that deal so far.

Yeah, that one killed me. I honestly think we could have traded down and probably picked up Leftwich and one of either Williams, Suggs or Trufant.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I've always liked Trent Dilfer but more for his attitude than anything else.

Me, too. I even preferred him to Matt Hassleback when the rumor that he might make it to FA was going around at the end of last year. Not sure I could explain why, though.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Yeah, that one killed me. I honestly think we could have traded down and probably picked up Leftwich and one of either Williams, Suggs or Trufant.

I don't think so. I think Jacksonville had him pegged anyway. As for trading down, I don't think we could have gotten another first rounder. Our best bet would have been trading down with Buffalo and grabbing McGahee. There was depth at the CB position beyond Trufant and Newman. Not very much, but we could have gotten Rashean Mathis as well as various other draft selections.

Hell, we could have traded with Baltimore and nabbed Boller. I think Boller will be the better QB in the end.

CalMor

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think Leftwich was worth taking. I really liked him coming out. We would not have had to trade anything to get him. In fact, we probably could have traded down a bit. I wouldn't have minded taking Grossman or Simms in 2003 either. In 2004, I liked Matt Schaub and Cody Pickett. I would have liked to see us take either guy. Last year, I loved Smith but we would have had to trade up and he was not a popular pick with Dallas fans. However, Rodgers taken with the 24th pick was very doable. I liked Andrew Walter a lot and McPherson in the 5th round was a steal IMO. None of these guys would have constitued giving up draft picks.

For some reason Leftwich's game reminds me of Aaron Brooks of the Saints. Flashes of greatness, the turns Carterish. I like Grossman a little better than Simms, but would take either to be our future QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
I don't think so. I think Jacksonville had him pegged anyway. As for trading down, I don't think we could have gotten another first rounder. Our best bet would have been trading down with Buffalo and grabbing McGahee. There was depth at the CB position beyond Trufant and Newman. Not very much, but we could have gotten Rashean Mathis as well as various other draft selections.

Hell, we could have traded with Baltimore and nabbed Boller. I think Boller will be the better QB in the end.

I'm sorry, I miss spoke there. I should have said that we could have gotten Leftwich or any one of the other three.

If memory serves, the Vikings wanted Newman and they were actually at something like pick 7 originally. The Saints also wanted him. I believe that the Ravens were interested as well. The Ravens could have been very interesting because they held the 10th and 19th pick. Had we been able to work out a deal with them, we could have taken Suggs or Trufant and picked up a Joseph or a Harris as well. Had we traded with the Vikes, we could have taken any number of players including Leftwich, I imagine. In that scenario, we probably could have taken Mathis out of Bethune-Cookman in the 2nd. If you ask me, he's probably the best CB thus far from the 2003 class.

Either way, that draft broke my heart. I really wanted to trade down from 5 but it didn't happen. Newman will be a fine player for us. We just need to get ourselves right with the rush and find a quality FS.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Danny White said:
1) Trent Green

Those two would be my suggestions.

Gannon went to Oakland in 1999 so that was before Aikman retired. But had he been signed to back Troy up (a stroke of luck that would have been, or if the dates coincided better, he could have been just the QB to keep the boat floating while a young guy was developed, and not rushed into the fire. But Gannon was such a late bloomer, how many teams even had him on their radar before his last year in KC?

I will throw out another name of a QB who could have held things together better than the string of third teamers and doomed prospects that passed thru the revloving doors ..a seat warmer for a few years while ideally a stud was being groomed...

and that is Doug Flutie. In the wake of that travesty in Buffalo with the owner hyping Rob Johnson and the heach coach stupidly and unfairly benching Doug, Dallas would have been paradise for him and he would have held the fort with less than a sterling oline as well.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I was actually shocked the team didn't at least show some interest in Collins. He would have gotten my vote. However, if anyone knew him, it would have been Payton.

Warner is done in my opinion.

None of the rest were really all that great. Leftwich might have been a wise pickup. Delhomme probably would have been better than QC, but again, nothng special.

The team needs a QB still.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
We'll be going after him next year,.. Drew Brees. It's round robin drew in Dallas these days, unfortuantly neither of the Drews we have is our future. I wouldn't rule out Brees next year though. Either Rivers is ready or he isn't by next year, there won't be anymore waiting on him- Brees could very realistically being moved out next year. If the guy follows up with another year like he had last year, we would be stupid not to have our eyes looking that way. ..And with giant steps taken towards shoring up our Defense for years to come already, why not,..unless by that time we're still stuck on the fantasy that Mr. Minor Leauge is the second coming of John Elway..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:
We'll be going after him next year,.. Drew Brees. It's round robin drew in Dallas these days, unfortuantly neither of the Drews we have is our future. I wouldn't rule out Brees next year though. Either Rivers is ready or he isn't by next year, there won't be anymore waiting on him- Brees could very realistically being moved out next year. If the guy follows up with another year like he had last year, we would be stupid not to have our eyes looking that way. ..And with giant steps taken towards shoring up our Defense for years to come already, why not,..unless by that time we're still stuck on the fantasy that Mr. Minor Leauge is the second coming of John Elway..

What does one say to this?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would draft Leftwich if we got a do over.

FA QBs are just placeholders.