What should we do with Henson

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Because coaches and players are different things perhaps?

There is not a coach in this league who could have won with what Coach Parcells inherited and yet you knock him because he didn't do it in both 2004 and 2005. And deep down, you know that. Four years might be a year too long, but with impatient people, sometimes one year is too long.

hey - i think the 3 year rule is stupid. my point is to drive that to HH NOT use it against BP.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'm not giving Parcells any such pass, and cannot speak for those who are, but do not use this arguement against me as it is not true in my case.

Henson was never even in the backup discussion from the start of TC. He is so inferior to Romo at this point that it was never even an option. Not to mention the fact that Henson couldnt even crack into a preseason game.

so you're predicting the next 3?

or are you just LYING again out of hatred like the press does to TO?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:

I'm not "predicting" anything. I'm saying that right now, Henson is inferior to Romo as an NFL quarterback

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
iceberg said:

How much do you think Henson will play in the next three, iceberg?

Seriously.

If he doesn't see good time this week, chances are he might not get much until the final game against Minnesota which is as much of a throwaway as the first game. Game three is out, IMO.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Actually I do NOT think the 3 year rule applies to Henson.
I think it does. After 3 years we should be able to get a good idea of which type of player Henson could be in the league. So far he isn't good enough to challenge for a back-up or starting gig on our team

BrAinPaiNt said:
He IS a different case and Tuna has, and continues to, say he is a developmental project.
He is only different because of the lay-off, but as I have shown in a previous above, he's not the 1st NFL player to come off a lay-off.

Chad Hennning was totally removed from sports, but after 2 or 3 traininng camps, he proved he could push for a starting job, become a key back-up and contribute of a Championship level.

Henson progression has been inconsistent at best. He's not able to keep moving forward. One step forward two steps back..............NFL definition "Coach Killer".

Roger Staubach survived the Landry rule. He fulfilled his Naval obligations he wasn't completely out of football, but after 2 full training camps he was able to push Morton and eventually win out. Staubach followed a natural progression.

Soone or later a developmental player has to show Progression. Infact every player other than elite guys have to develop and improve their game throughout their careers. Henson has failed to do either, very evident by the fact that off the street QBs are taking his snaps.

Angus

Reaction score
The three year rule has never been "do it in three or you are out.' It is show me that you can eventually do it in a reasonable time or you are out. Landry always expected it to take five years for a quarterback to be ready to play, but he expected to see promise before that. Henson -- if he has shown promise -- should get more time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
This is Henson's 3rd year here, a year in which he has been throughly and utterly destroyed in the "competition" for the backup QB spot that everyone and their dog swore he would win, and is in the process of trying to keep his roster spot from being stolen by an undrafted rookie FA.

Forgive me for not anticipating him making huge strides in his 3rd year

Romo has been here 4 year and is not the starter so does in year 3 rule apply to him and if so why did we make the exception? Coaches make statements that does not always mean that every situation is exactly the same. As for Henson development it may not be where some would like it but evidently it is enough for BP to keep him for now.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
hey - i think the 3 year rule is stupid. my point is to drive that to HH NOT use it against BP.

Now you are wiser in the ways of football than Tom Landry?

:rolleyes:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Alexander said:
How much do you think Henson will play in the next three, iceberg?

Seriously.

If he doesn't see good time this week, chances are he might not get much until the final game against Minnesota which is as much of a throwaway as the first game. Game three is out, IMO.

a quarter, maybe a 1/2. i'd like to see him and romo split some time this week just to get him some reps when you can, as you can.

but when he said:
>>>Not to mention the fact that Henson couldnt even crack into a preseason game.

preseason is NOT over - so this would be one of those media type lies us fans are tired of, right?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Now you are wiser in the ways of football than Tom Landry?

:rolleyes:

ooooooooo - someone again is MAKING CRAP UP!!! you must be in the media at this rate. hearing one thing, writing another that suites your agenda...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Romo has been here 4 year and is not the starter so does in year 3 rule apply to him and if so why did we make the exception? Coaches make statements that does not always mean that every situation is exactly the same. As for Henson development it may not be where some would like it but evidently it is enough for BP to keep him for now.

People need to get a grip.

Name me a third string QB who has as much "potential" as Henson?

There aren't many.

But instead of understanding that, his potential role and dealing with it, there is all of this, "what should we do" business.

We don't have to do anything, nor should we. I wish he had shown more, but he has enough in his history to justify having him hold a clip board and play on the scout team.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

cause he's a romo-homo and that's what he does. (NOT a slam on romo or homo's - just tired of his constant bashing of henson supporters)

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

Romo was not floundering about in his first 3 years, as Henson has. He was improving and has now reached the level of a QB capable of coming in and playing well against real NFL competition. He has done what he needed to do in those first 3 years and is being rewarded for it.

Let us not forget, also, that Romo was an undrafted FA. Nothing was expected of him, and yet he has come farther in 4 years than anyone could have imagined. Henson was highly touted and expected to do what Romo has done.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
cause he's a romo-homo and that's what he does. (NOT a slam on romo or homo's - just tired of his constant bashing of henson supporters)

I'm not bashing anyone, I'm bashing the idea

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
You said it, not I

now show me where i said i was smarter than landry.

the way you APPLY the 3 year rule is stupid and only suits your own way. w/o further clarification the 3 year rule is misused all the time. your boy (and hopefully all of our boy if he does well) didn't throw a pass for 3 years.

he's gone. no exceptions, right? you slam henson for it and praise romo and he's done LESS on the field than henson.

it's your stupid use of the rule i hate more than the rule itself.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'm not bashing anyone, I'm bashing the idea

then bash consistantly and bash romo also, right? it's the 3 year rule after all, right???

funny we bash the media for being selective in their venom but you do it all the time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Romo was not floundering about in his first 3 years, as Henson has. He was improving and has now reached the level of a QB capable of coming in and playing well against real NFL competition. He has done what he needed to do in those first 3 years and is being rewarded for it.

Let us not forget, also, that Romo was an undrafted FA. Nothing was expected of him, and yet he has come farther in 4 years than anyone could have imagined. Henson was highly touted and expected to do what Romo has done.

Floudering is your words BP has not said that and if BP did not want Henson here or thought he could not develope he would be gone. simple as that. I have nothing aginst Romo and glad he is doing well so for me this is not about giving henson anything or this Romo vs Henson BS. I expect Henson to earn his way but again he evidently is showing BP enough not to give up on him. Lastly while Romo did come as undrafted from a smaller school he came right to the NFL from college and we both know Henson situation is differance which is why he was given the contract he got which was to allow time for developement.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something to consider.

Two Players, both out of football for a number of years playing baseball.

How long did hutch last under Parcells, how long has Henson lasted under parcells.

One could logically conclude that maybe Bill, and or others, see something in Henson that at this time they are willing to work on.

Does not mean that he will develope into a starting or even backup qb.

But he has kept a roster spot until this time...which seems to be longer to someone who was in the same spot a couple of years back.

So, like any other player on the NFL (whether it be at a starting or a bench position) They will be replaced when a team finds someone they feel fits that position better.