What type of RB would you like to see as our starter?

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I remember the Cowboys offense doing nothing until the Packers were ahead by three scores, and then the Cowboys coming back against a prevent defense and tying the game, only to have Green Bay win at the end. That became the M.O. of Dak; he'd choke until the opponent got comfortably ahead, and then pad his stats against the defense when they played loose because they had the game won. Then all of his fans would point to his stat totals as evidence of him being so great, and point to the defense as the problem because they had to play the game by themselves for the first 40 minutes while Dak was choking.
Back then Dak was very erratic and his passes would sail out of control, kinda the way he was throwing to CeeDee in the last game.
This is why Dak's fans love stats. He pads his stats against prevent/loose defenses but they don't show how he shuts down and makes the defense play the game by themselves when the game is in contention.
I wasn't going to go there, but you asked.
So, in your opinion, Dak gave up those 34 points and 355 passing yards to Rodgers. Got it.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Yes, really. I gave you facts, dude, the most successful teams value RB's. You've got this thing in their head that they completely lack value, and it simply isn't true.
Hmmmm.....I'm trying to help you understand, but I'm not doing avgood job.

This isn't a matter of whether great backs help a team and can help them win a SB. They can.

It's a matter of their Draft history in the modern NFL. All you have to do is scroll the 1st round selections of the last 15 years. Wade through the masses of Tackles, edge rushers, QBs, CBs, and WRs to find the 10 or so RBs drafted in the last DECADE in the 1st round. Aside from kicker and punter, there isn't a least drafted position in Rd1. THOSE are the facts...dude.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hmmmm.....I'm trying to help you understand, but I'm not doing avgood job.

This isn't a matter of whether great backs help a team and can help them win a SB. They can.

It's a matter of their Draft history in the modern NFL. All you have to do is scroll the 1st round selections of the last 15 years. Wade through the masses of Tackles, edge rushers, QBs, CBs, and WRs to find the 10 or so RBs drafted in the last DECADE in the 1st round. Aside from kicker and punter, there isn't a least drafted position in Rd1. THOSE are the facts...dude.
I get that.

Now, try to understand my point. The most successful teams are taking RB's high in the draft and spending major resources to get them. As w/ all positions, there are only a few who are worthy of a 1st round pick. How many OG's or C's are taken in the first? How many S's? MLB's?

W/o going through the numbers, I'd say more RB's than OG's, C's and S's are taken in the first.

I also don't understand how using this to assess value of a position makes sense.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I get that.

Now, try to understand my point. The most successful teams are taking RB's high in the draft and spending major resources to get them. As w/ all positions, there are only a few who are worthy of a 1st round pick. How many OG's or C's are taken in the first? How many S's? MLB's?

W/o going through the numbers, I'd say more RB's than OG's, C's and S's are taken in the first.

I also don't understand how using this to assess value of a position makes sense.
What teams are reaping big benefits from RBs drafted high....in 1st round? MacCaffrey is the outlier here (maybe because he's such a great receiver too?)...but I just can't believe he's lasted as long as he has after his injury problems in CAR. But aside from him.... whose really benefiting from 1st rd RBs?

Yeah...great point about Guards and Centers. My GUESS would be they still have more over last decade than RB (not by a lot though), but I'd bet nearly twice as many safeties went. It's just about bang for the buck: how much does a great guard "move the needle" for your team than an average guard does? Hence, they just aren't selected high often. RBs move the needle way more than guards, but their shelf life is just so short, teams just don't want to spend precious 1st rd picks on them.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I'd like to see us go after D'andre Swift for a reasonable contract as I don't think he'll demand much and then pair him up with a drafted rookie from within rounds 3-5. Sounds like the first round may not see a RB taken.

leeblair

Reaction score
So, in your opinion, Dak gave up those 34 points and 355 passing yards to Rodgers. Got it.
No/yes.
In my opinion he helped give them up by providing nothing for the Cowboys offense, leaving the defense exposed while he was choking.
This isn't hard to see if you want to see.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
No/yes.
In my opinion he helped give them up by providing nothing for the Cowboys offense, leaving the defense exposed while he was choking.
This isn't hard to see if you want to see.
See, this is the argument I hear from Dak haters all the time - Dak's lack of something was the reason the D didn't do THEIR job. Dak got them all the way back in the game, but the D gave up that ridiculous play on 3rd and 20 that led to the FG. But, as always, they get a pass. And, I could care less if they replace Dak at QB, but let's stop acting like Dak AND ONLY DAK are the reasons for the playoff issues.

Mikexike

Reaction score
CLEARLY an OL would be the best RB we get that. With that said, would you like to see a bigger more physical running back, or a back that's smaller in size with more of a potential for homeruns?? What type of RB would work best in our offense?
We need a Bijan type running back...

calicowboy54

Reaction score
CLEARLY an OL would be the best RB we get that. With that said, would you like to see a bigger more physical running back, or a back that's smaller in size with more of a potential for homeruns?? What type of RB would work best in our offense?
man i miss BM24 that dude could bowl over people. but at the same time i miss that ES22 type of back that can do just enough to avoid you and still enough speed to take it to the house.

sbark

Reaction score
Give me a Rb that will "press" a gap, suck in defense and bounce
A J.Gibbs, plachenko type

Would help the O.Line tremendously

Pollard seemed to be predominatly a quik slash to a gap back....defenses adapted.