What type of RB would you like to see as our starter?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Not sure I understand the logic. If we have a need at RB and the 40th player based on talent is an RB do you not think we'd take him over the 100th-best player at another position. I don't think teams feel the same as you do about positional importance, otherwise Bijan and Gibbs don't go in the first last year. Players went about where they were projected to go. In fact, Gibbs went higher than many thought that he would. It mainly seems to be fans who undervalue RBs.
You don't think the NFL has severe positional importance?

Bjan is a great example. Easily one of the 2 best FOOTNALL players in the draft...but went 8....and he was the best RB prospect in ages.

Marvin Harrson Jr is by far the best player in this upcoming draft...and WR is actually one of the most important positions in the modern NFL, and he'll end up going 4th.

RBs just have short shelf life...so if he's the 10th best player in the draft a RB would likely be selected late 20's or 30s.

If he's the 30th best player talent wise....he's at best a 3rd rounder.

This really isn't a agree to disagree situation...it's just how it's done now.

A RB who is say the 40th best football player, will absolutely take a back seat to an OT, pass rusher, WR, CB or QB that's the 75th best football player in the draft. Draft isn't to fill needs...it's to build your future. Free Agency is for 'needs'

basel90

Reaction score
Amazing how the loss to GB clarified many holes this team has . Jerry and Stephen have a watered down roster in key positions . Actually not sure this team has any identity on offense .
DL is weak , Running game is weak with a leaky OL , and the QB is not a difference maker . that cannot be a good outcome for any GM .
the losses to the niners and Arizona and Miami should have been an early warning .

Momanpr100

Reaction score
I wouldn't count on that happening. There isn't any reason too.
Jerry is probably thinking all we need is a running game. Pollard ain't coming back, they not gonna get Henry. So it's a high probability that RB will be our first pick.

quickccc

Reaction score
The biggest problem was the RBs and OL. Pollard had a career high 252 carries which was 59 more than last season. He was coming off an injury and was having to face fresh defenses as a starter. He wasn’t being kept fresh and wasn’t as effective in that role. Both he and Dowdle aren’t real big. The OL was an issue with the injuries and players not playing as well.
- Gibbs and Montgomery are not real big
- Arron Jones who murders us every time he plays us .. is not big
- James Cook Bills is not even near 200 lbs,.. and another one who killed us
- Rams Kyren Williams was 3rd in NFL in rushing at only 195 lbs.
- McCaffrey, Travis Etienne, Austin Eckler.. etc.
- Dolphins employ a Shanahan like run scheme that is based off speed,(Mosteft - Achane) rather than size/power

As i've said several here on this board, many fans are accustomed to size and bell cow pounding - that's what we've had for past years, (ala emmitt, Murray, zeke) and we cannot seem to decide and accept differently.
And this coach staff has failed to utilize all purpose like backs in either run or pass game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You don't think the NFL has severe positional importance?

Bjan is a great example. Easily one of the 2 best FOOTNALL players in the draft...but went 8....and he was the best RB prospect in ages.

Marvin Harrson Jr is by far the best player in this upcoming draft...and WR is actually one of the most important positions in the modern NFL, and he'll end up going 4th.

RBs just have short shelf life...so if he's the 10th best player in the draft a RB would likely be selected late 20's or 30s.

If he's the 30th best player talent wise....he's at best a 3rd rounder.

This really isn't a agree to disagree situation...it's just how it's done now.

A RB who is say the 40th best football player, will absolutely take a back seat to an OT, pass rusher, WR, CB or QB that's the 75th best football player in the draft. Draft isn't to fill needs...it's to build your future. Free Agency is for 'needs'
There is positional importance, but when you have a need and a player is rated around where you draft or even higher, you generally take them. This is why Bijan went in the top 10 despite being a running back. This is why Detroit took Gibbs at 12 despite being a running back. A RB takes a back seat when one of those positions of greater positional importance is an equal or greater need. I disagree that the 75th-best player at a position that a team doesn't need would go before the 40th-best player at a position of need. As the drafting of running backs shows, that isn't how it is done.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
- Gibbs and Montgomery are not real big
- Arron Jones who murders us every time he plays us .. is not big
- James Cook Bills is not even near 200 lbs,.. and another one who killed us
- Rams Kyren Williams was 3rd in NFL in rushing at only 195 lbs.
- McCaffrey, Travis Etienne, Austin Eckler.. etc.
- Dolphins employ a Shanahan like run scheme that is based off speed,(Mosteft - Achane) rather than size/power

As i've said several here on this board, many fans are accustomed to size and bell cow pounding - that's what we've had for past years, (ala emmitt, Murray, zeke) and we cannot seem to decide and accept differently.
And this coach staff has failed to utilize all purpose like backs in either run or pass game.
Most of those backs are more talented and have better OL’s. Neither Pollard or Dowdle are starting caliber backs.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
There is positional importance, but when you have a need and a player is rated around where you draft or even higher, you generally take them. This is why Bijan went in the top 10 despite being a running back. This is why Detroit took Gibbs at 12 despite being a running back. A RB takes a back seat when one of those positions of greater positional importance is an equal or greater need. I disagree that the 75th-best player at a position that a team doesn't need would go before the 40th-best player at a position of need. As the drafting of running backs shows, that isn't how it is done.
I guess I should have said SMART teams don't draft RBs high. Very little bang for the buck...b4 they're gone.

Sequin.
Zeke.

These teamsndraftbthemnin the 1st....and then let them walk when they're 26 orn27 yes old, because they're shot by then.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
pollard was a 2022 pro bowl back
That was last season with Zeke playing ahead of him. Our running game was ranked higher last season. Pollard wasn’t as good this season as the lead back. It was obvious to everyone.

kskboys

Reaction score
I guess I should have said SMART teams don't draft RBs high. Very little bang for the buck...b4 they're gone.

Sequin.
Zeke.

These teamsndraftbthemnin the 1st....and then let them walk when they're 26 orn27 yes old, because they're shot by then.
DET
Chiefs

Two of the Champ game participants just did, and SF gave up 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks for McCaffrey.

You've got this one incorrect.

JPostSam

Reaction score
punishing north-south runner with some
burst, who can also block a free rusher

Ken

Reaction score
I have had Josh Jacobs circled. If he makes it to FA....GET HIM. draft another in 3 or 4th round.