What was the point in winning our last game?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Loser talk .......... and these same fans complain about the Boys "giving up"

kskboys

Reaction score
It's only one player, if the Cowboys just needed one really good prospect to put them over the top, I'd be on board with it making a difference.

But that's not the case, to me winning one more game, having Dak and other young guys get game experience, even against backups, is worth much more than having a 4 or 5 spot better draft pick. Some say by tanking you're "looking to the future", well how is having Dak, Woods, Awuzie, Butler, Brown, etc. sit out making their play better next year? Players get better by playing mostly. The game was sort of like a pre-season game, you can use it to evaluate who you have, and if they are found lacking, then you have a better idea of who you need to replace next year.

Advantages both ways, winning or not winning, it's how you view it. Nobody's going to change anybody else's mind...
Zero advantage to winning.

And it really depends on the draft.

Funny, it was like a preseason game. And what is a preseason game for? Evaluating.

Dak had played all year. Playing him one more game was irrelevant. Same w/ the others.

It's like you're making my argument for me!!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t put into words how pathetic losing on purpose is. It goes against everything I find worthwhile in a sporting competition. To do it for draft position is just...lame.
Success in the draft is about selecting well. Slot positioning can potentially provide an edge but every slot depends solely upon skillfully and intelligently grabbing the right guy.

It is something though. Tom Brady won his first Super Bowl in his second season. Since then, I always think of him specifically every time one of these 'must lose for draft positioning' discussion begins, both here and in person. Makes me chuckle every time.

Big_D

Reaction score
If you think game time is useless, then yeah, but not to me...

Couldn't the same thing be said about the backup QB? Isn't it important to get him some time and see what he could do? That was a great opportunity. Maybe play Dak a quarter and Rush the rest of the way?!

Big_D

Reaction score
Giving Elliott 27 carries. It's actually comical since they don't even do that in a playoff game!! But going all out for this one? Really makes a lot of sense! lol

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Success in the draft is about selecting well. Slot positioning can potentially provide an edge but every slot depends solely upon skillfully and intelligently grabbing the right guy.

It is something though. Tom Brady won his first Super Bowl in his second season. Since then, I always think of him specifically every time one of these 'must lose for draft positioning' discussion begins, both here and in person. Makes me chuckle every time.

Yep. Definitely. But even more than that, you just don’t lose on purpose. It’s like throwing a boxing match. That’s not what the sport is about.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
people seem to forget that Dallas is a young team . So really them playing together was important to see what they need to fix for next year . Could they have thrown in some guys that got no playing time sure .... It would of been a good idea . But if Dallas goes full out and tries to lose the game , it would be worse then them trying and having a bad showing. Lets forget the Dallas fans for a min , could you just imagine what the rest of the NFL and their fans would say if it was an obvious tank job

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Definitely. But even more than that, you just don’t lose on purpose. It’s like throwing a boxing match. That’s not what the sport is about.
I know that anyone talking about the pros and cons of purposefully losing put a lot of their own self-perspective into their comments but I wonder how often we stop and think about the opinions of the athletes and coaches themselves? And whether their opinions matches our own? Maybe that is an irrelevant consideration since opinions are simply opinions but I ponder if players and coaches reading a thread like this say to themselves, "That guy is right" or "That guy is <expletive> nuts."

I kinda think its probably the latter, if players or coaches are reading CowboysZone that is. :cool:

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
people seem to forget that Dallas is a young team . So really them playing together was important to see what they need to fix for next year . Could they have thrown in some guys that got no playing time sure .... It would of been a good idea . But if Dallas goes full out and tries to lose the game , it would be worse then them trying and having a bad showing. Lets forget the Dallas fans for a min , could you just imagine what the rest of the NFL and their fans would say if it was an obvious tank job
That is a fair question but I think it is safe to say some Cowboys fans could not care less what everyone else thinks about the team gaining draft position. All they 'know' is their team will have an opportunity of getting a better player with the team losing and that illogical self-desire overrides any other possible outcome--despite comprehending the extensive NFL history of draft hits and misses.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know that anyone talking about the pros and cons of purposefully losing put a lot of their own self-perspective into their comments but I wonder how often we stop and think about the opinions of the athletes and coaches themselves? And whether their opinions matches our own? Maybe that is an irrelevant consideration since opinions are simply opinions but I ponder if players reading a thread like this say to themselves, "That guy is right" or "That guy is <expletive> nuts."

I kinda think its probably the latter, if players are reading CowboysZone that is. :cool:

It’s probably a mix, honestly. Though nobody wants to put bad tape out there. I just know I’d never throw a game, no matter what I stood to gain from it the next season, and I’d never seriously consider it.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
That is a fair question but I think it is safe to say some Cowboys fans could not care less what everyone else thinks about the team gaining draft position. All they 'know' is their team will have an opportunity of getting a better player with the team losing and that illogical self-desire overrides any other possible outcome--despite comprehending the extensive NFL history of draft hits and misses.

but its more then just Dallas fans opinions that would matter . It would not be a good look imo , although that showing probably was not much better.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s probably a mix, honestly. Though nobody wants to put bad tape out there. I just know I’d never throw a game, no matter what I stood to gain from it the next season, and I’d never seriously consider it.
You are probably right but I should have stated, "I kinda think its probably more of the latter."

These conversations make me think back to when I was playing football in my youth. Coaches would pound the philosophy of winning into my teammates and myself. For me I thought that kind of brainwashing instilled a winning attitude. Now I think back after reading others thoughts about losing for draft position and re-consider how the conditioning affected some of my teammates in retrospect to how it affected me. Maybe some of those guys were saying to themselves, "meh. winning ain't all that."

My brain hates me sometimes. :( :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but its more then just Dallas fans opinions that would matter . It would not be a good look imo , although that showing probably was not much better.
I agree but it would not be all Dallas fans' opinion. Just some Dallas fans' opinions, and again, they would not care less what the rest of the world thought as long as they sought validation of their self-conceived fallacy.

JustChip

Reaction score

My daddy instilled in me that whatever you do, you do to the best of your ability. It wouldn't be in my DNA as a player or coach to purposely do less that all I could to win a game. Besides, it's not fair to the fans that paid good money to see the game. I accept pre-season because that's a given, but not regular season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Couldn't the same thing be said about the backup QB? Isn't it important to get him some time and see what he could do? That was a great opportunity. Maybe play Dak a quarter and Rush the rest of the way?!

I would have liked to see that. Don't know why they didn't, either they wanted Dak to have as much work as possible, or else they knew they were going to pick up a veteran qb in the off season and make him the no. 2 qb?

Who knows...