What was the worst coaching move by Garrett in the 2018-2019 season?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing against Cooper either but I just know that these coaches will make him a no show for stretches.

Garrett is the same head coach the Cowboys had when Dez had in 2012, 2013 and 2015 when he averaged over 1,311 yards and 13.7 TDs per season.

Garrett hasn't got the job done, so I agree he should be replaced, but lets at least be fair about him. Things changed for Dez when he had some injuries and when Linehan became the play caller. Linehan is out, and the new, better toy (Cooper) is healthy. I won't guarantee how much things will change, but let's not act as if a Garrett led team has never gotten consistent production out of a top receiver.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact he didn't retire was his biggest coaching mistake in 2018.

It depends on your perspective. Garrett got $5 million dollars and got a couple of rounds into the playoffs, so it was a pretty good decision for him.

RichmondFan

Reaction score
Assuming all our moves were on his idea (which of course they weren't), what would you say was the worst decision he made this past season? It could be personnel related, a particular play called, situational decision, etc.

When Garrett-Top consistently allowed Dak and Linahan to call running plays into 8 and 9 man fronts all season long. They are in shot-gun formation way too much also.

Oh, and the punt coverage play where Goodwin or Lenoir hit the ball carrier 7 yards out of bounds at the 15 yard line garnering the 15 yard personal foul penalty. When the guilty party ran across the field and onto the sideline Garrett-Top was clapping the whole time and patting the culprit on the back saying "way to go".....What IS that!!?
More hating with the usually hater's exaggerations. It's funny how just 2 years ago those same coaches and Prescott ran into 8 man fronts and Elliott lead the league in rushing and the Cowboys went 13 - 3. Oh wait, Elliott lead the league in rushing again last season too. Oh some more exaggeration, the Cowboys and Elliott faced 9 man fronts only on 3rd or 4th and short or goal line but then every team does that but the haters think that the Cowboys faced 9 man fronts all the time and it only happened to the Cowboys. And then there's the hit 7 yards out of bounds which would have put it at least 4 yards BEYOND the 3 yard wide sideline markers and it's funny I don't recall any Cowboys hitting any player THAT FAR out of bounds. As for the clapping the haters often bring up Garrett clapping but do they ever mention that TWICE Pete Carol in the wildcard game was shown clapping on the sidelines after his offense went 3 and out and he was clapping to get their attention and to fire them up. Funny how when Garrett does that the haters claim some other moronic reason for it fueled by their hatred.

Who cares about Pete Carol? Certainly not me. When I'm thinking of top 5 coaches, Pete does not come to mind. Do I like him? Yes. I don't hate Garrett-Top, he's a good guy. He's just a bad coach and he hasn't improved much since the days when he had no clue about clock management and was fond of icing his own kicker. Good coaches never do the above stuff and many other things that define a poor head coach.

Yes they did face 8 man fronts often on 1st and second downs. You have a short memory! Leading the league in rushing is awesome but Elliott could have done even better with calls that did not run him into 8 and 9 man fronts 10 times a game. And they really should have passed more often on 1st down. They did get better with that during their winning streak, but they lapsed back into running too much on 1st late in the season. As for the 13-3 season in '16, yes it worked well until the playoffs, and besides, you don't think defenses geared up for that in '17 and '18?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garrett is the same head coach the Cowboys had when Dez had in 2012, 2013 and 2015 when he averaged over 1,311 yards and 13.7 TDs per season.

Garrett hasn't got the job done, so I agree he should be replaced, but lets at least be fair about him. Things changed for Dez when he had some injuries and when Linehan became the play caller. Linehan is out, and the new, better toy (Cooper) is healthy. I won't guarantee how much things will change, but let's not act as if a Garrett led team has never gotten consistent production out of a top receiver.

Yeah and the offense was terrible then too but Romo was absolutely brilliant.

The scheme was trash with TO too.

I've never said great players can't overcome Garrett to some extent. Obviously they can.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Garrett-Top consistently allowed Dak and Linahan to call running plays into 8 and 9 man fronts all season long. They are in shot-gun formation way too much also.

Oh, and the punt coverage play where Goodwin or Lenoir hit the ball carrier 7 yards out of bounds at the 15 yard line garnering the 15 yard personal foul penalty. When the guilty party ran across the field and onto the sideline Garrett-Top was clapping the whole time and patting the culprit on the back saying "way to go".....What IS that!!?

Who cares about Pete Carol? Certainly not me. When I'm thinking of top 5 coaches, Pete does not come to mind. Do I like him? Yes. I don't hate Garrett-Top, he's a good guy. He's just a bad coach and he hasn't improved much since the days when he had no clue about clock management and was fond of icing his own kicker. Good coaches never do the above stuff and many other things that define a poor head coach.

Yes they did face 8 man fronts often on 1st and second downs. You have a short memory! Leading the league in rushing is awesome but Elliott could have done even better with calls that did not run him into 8 and 9 man fronts 10 times a game. And they really should have passed more often on 1st down. They did get better with that during their winning streak, but they lapsed back into running too much on 1st late in the season. As for the 13-3 season in '16, yes it worked well until the playoffs, and besides, you don't think defenses geared up for that in '17 and '18?

Yeah, Garrett was congratulating people for a job well done when they committed a stupid penalty ...:facepalm:

RichmondFan

Reaction score
Assuming all our moves were on his idea (which of course they weren't), what would you say was the worst decision he made this past season? It could be personnel related, a particular play called, situational decision, etc.

More hating with the usually hater's exaggerations. It's funny how just 2 years ago those same coaches and Prescott ran into 8 man fronts and Elliott lead the league in rushing and the Cowboys went 13 - 3. Oh wait, Elliott lead the league in rushing again last season too. Oh some more exaggeration, the Cowboys and Elliott faced 9 man fronts only on 3rd or 4th and short or goal line but then every team does that but the haters think that the Cowboys faced 9 man fronts all the time and it only happened to the Cowboys. And then there's the hit 7 yards out of bounds which would have put it at least 4 yards BEYOND the 3 yard wide sideline markers and it's funny I don't recall any Cowboys hitting any player THAT FAR out of bounds. As for the clapping the haters often bring up Garrett clapping but do they ever mention that TWICE Pete Carol in the wildcard game was shown clapping on the sidelines after his offense went 3 and out and he was clapping to get their attention and to fire them up. Funny how when Garrett does that the haters claim some other moronic reason for it fueled by their hatred.

Yes they did face 8 man fronts often on 1st and second downs. You have a short memory! Leading the league in rushing is awesome but Elliott could have done even better with calls that did not run him into 8 and 9 man fronts 10 times a game. And they really should have passed more often on 1st down. They did get better with that during their winning streak, but they lapsed back into running too much on 1st late in the season.

As for the 13-3 season in '16, yes it worked well until the playoffs, and besides, you don't think defenses geared up for that in '17 and '18?

Zman5

Reaction score
It depends on your perspective. Garrett got $5 million dollars and got a couple of rounds into the playoffs, so it was a pretty good decision for him.

Yeh we get it. You love JG and the one playoff win he gets every few years. Yeppy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Sammy Watkins is worth 14 Mill then yes Dez is still worth 10.

He had an awful year by his standards and still caught 70 balls for 840 yards and 6 TD's.

Dez was put in a position to fail by his coaches. His QB cant throw into tight windows and lining him up in the same spot play after play running the same route over and over was doing him no favors.

He deserves some blame for the dropped passes but Dallas coaches failed him.

Sammy Watkins is NOT worth million. Is that how you justify Dez by comparing him to the worst contracts in the NFL for a WR.

Lets just forget about money for a monite. Dez is over the hill, lost a step, a headache, isnt committed to being a WR, doesnt get open, runs poor routes. And on top of that, he will NEVER play in the NFL again. His career is over.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sammy Watkins is NOT worth million. Is that how you justify Dez by comparing him to the worst contracts in the NFL for a WR.

Lets just forget about money for a monite. Dez is over the hill, lost a step, a headache, isnt committed to being a WR, doesnt get open, runs poor routes. And on top of that, he will NEVER play in the NFL again. His career is over.

That was the market......

Allen Robinson got paid too. He's a good WR but he got a lot of money.

Dez's contract was very reasonable after watching free agency. That's my point.

I thought his contract was bad as well but then the market showed me the reality.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah and the offense was terrible then too but Romo was absolutely brilliant.

The scheme was trash with TO too.

I've never said great players can't overcome Garrett to some extent. Obviously they can.

You are deflecting. Your comment was that the coach would make a quality WR disappear for long stretches, not that he would get great production out of a quality WR but still have a terrible offense.

Besides, that 2014 offense you say was terrible ... it was tied for 4th in the NFL in points per game. The terrible offense in 2013 was 5th in points per game.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Maybe some reading lessons will help you. I DID NOT say that the Cowboys didn't face 8 man fronts, they did and quite often, but what I did reply to was the user who was TRYING to use 9 man fronts as a common occurrence. Now what I did say is the Cowboys only faced 9 man fronts on 3rd and 4th and short or goal line. Defenses are not dumb enough to do it when it's not an obvious run down because they can get burnt to easily on a pass and they know this. Next I never ranked carol as a coach and only used him as an example of how many coaches clap after something bad happens to get their team coming off the field attention and to fire them up as the same Garrett does but the Garrett haters have moronic reasons for the clapping. Lastly even in Elliott's rookie season early on when it was obvious he had a shot at breaking the rookie rushing record that every announcer and studio person talked about every week, yes the defenses even back then were gearing up to stop Elliott. They did just start it in 2017 and 2018.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You are deflecting. Your comment was that the coach would make a quality WR disappear for long stretches, not that he would get great production out of a quality WR but still have a terrible offense.

Besides, that 2014 offense you say was terrible ... it was tied for 4th in the NFL in points per game. The terrible offense in 2013 was 5th in points per game.

He will because he doesn't scheme guys open.

YEah. The scheme is trash. I said it when it was happening the scheme was trash. It's trash.

They got rid of Garrett as the OC because it was trash and switched to Linehan so he would call more run plays.

Our coaches stand on Romo's shoulders. In 2014 our Oline was imposing their will.

We're an execution offense. We're not scheming guys open.

We're running a formation and calling pass plays based on how teams usually defend.

Dallas runs a bottom of the barrel basic scheme. The production from it has nothing to do with the coaches. It's a base offense that anyone can call.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will because he doesn't scheme guys open.

YEah. The scheme is trash. I said it when it was happening the scheme was trash. It's trash.

They got rid of Garrett as the OC because it was trash and switched to Linehan so he would call more run plays.

Our coaches stand on Romo's shoulders. In 2014 our Oline was imposing their will.

We're an execution offense. We're not scheming guys open.

We're running a formation and calling pass plays based on how teams usually defend.

Dallas runs a bottom of the barrel basic scheme. The production from it has nothing to do with the coaches. It's a base offense that anyone can call.

None of this changes the fact you are still saying Garrett isn't capable of getting consistent production out of a WR in spite of the fact that he has gotten consistent production out of a WR before.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
None of this changes the fact you are still saying Garrett isn't capable of getting consistent production out of a WR in spite of the fact that he has gotten consistent production out of a WR before.

Dez disappeared for stretches. That has been a problem with all of our WR's.

He doesn't call plays that just simply get the ball in their hands.

TO and Dez are monsters when they have the football but Garrett wants them running 30 yard vertical routes down field just so they can pull some coverage and get Witten a 4 yard gain.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That was the market......

Allen Robinson got paid too. He's a good WR but he got a lot of money.

Dez's contract was very reasonable after watching free agency. That's my point.

I thought his contract was bad as well but then the market showed me the reality.

Not sure how to make this clear for. I thought he wasnt worth the money. Apparently neither did the Cowboys. If you think he was then I'm happy for you.

Cowboys are way better off spending that money on a WR that can get open like Cooper. If you disagree then Im happy for you.