What will your draft day experience be?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was easy when it was just Saturday and Sunday and my wife or even any of my ex girlfriends back in the day would know I will be unreachable for two days. Now we have to get more creative. I will be taking off Friday to make a weekend out of the draft. Will have my draft info laid out and on the laptop. Will be down at the Jersey Shore sitting at our tiki bar watching. Probably with some seafood and/or pizza from the area and plenty to drink. I am slowly turning a Jet fan friend of mine into a draftnik. He will be there watching too. Last year was the first time he understood why I watch the entire draft every year. Obviously a good amount of people on this board get very into the draft but for fans that don't pay attention to the process (college games, senior bowl practices and game, east west shrine, combine and school pro day workouts, reading every draft expert or wannabe expert you can find) and do some of your own homework are missing out on my favorite time of year. I love it when you have your own list of players and the draft is winding down. And you still know who will probably get snatched up in the compensatory picks because there are still guys available that you have watched and read up on. People will ask us how can you watch past the first round? I always say well if I were you and only knew ten players in this draft I wouldn't watch it all either! I don't always love our teams picks. But I love the draft. Just start the darn thing already!!!

Were the wife and girlfriends during the same draft year?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One year I decided a was going to drink and get sloshed. That turned out to be the Quincy Carter draft. So no getting sloshed again. This year it will be ESPN on the TV as I don't currently have NFLN. The tablet will be tuned to 1310 the ticket with Norm's draft show. And the wife's laptop to surf the zone.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate the Thursday/Friday/Saturday setup with a passion.

Oh, I'll follow every second of it, but it was great being able to cross off the whole weekend as being devoted to the draft.

I miss it, Mikey. An entire weekend spent in the bunker. AWOL from the world.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
If I'm home, I will watch the first round. Most likely I will read about our draft on the web after it happens...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One year I decided a was going to drink and get sloshed. That turned out to be the Quincy Carter draft. So no getting sloshed again. This year it will be ESPN on the TV as I don't currently have NFLN. The tablet will be tuned to 1310 the ticket with Norm's draft show. And the wife's laptop to surf the zone.

Yes, the local sports talk radio is obviously the most knowledgeable about the Cowboys issues. I remember both Norm and Mickey screeching when Max Unger got drafted before the Cowboys pick in 2009. They obviously knew he was the target beforehand. It's also the best place to get the details on what is happening in the Cowboys War Room.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I only watch lpart of the first round. Then dvr it and see who the Cowboys all pick

DVR totally makes the draft bearable for those people with lives. i may not even watch any of it - I far prefer to follow on the internet and be able to just freaking read the analyses I want

NJ22

Reaction score
DVR totally makes the draft bearable for those people with lives. i may not even watch any of it - I far prefer to follow on the internet and be able to just freaking read the analyses I want

Doesn't mean you have a life chief means you aren't as in to the draft that's all.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
I miss the old format, where my friends and I would hit the sports bar for 6+ hours on Saturday. Now I just cook out and have some friends over. My wife is a crazy Pats fan, so she is pouring over magazines of player evaluations why she is watching with us.

Fredd

Reaction score

I have a terrific life...I just choose to watch the entire draft

NJ22

Reaction score
I have a terrific life...I just choose to watch the entire draft

Exactly. It is like a holiday weekend for me. The other side of this is if you didn't invest the time before the draft you are not allowed to complain about the picks because you never heard of the players.

Fredd

Reaction score
Exactly. It is like a holiday weekend for me. The other side of this is if you didn't invest the time before the draft you are not allowed to complain about the picks because you never heard of the players.

Exactly! that's why I take the time to put the NFL Draft Spreadsheet together and share it in here. I use that thing every year - it makes it more enjoyable to see if guys falls where I have had them slotted

NJ22

Reaction score
Exactly! that's why I take the time to put the NFL Draft Spreadsheet together and share it in here. I use that thing every year - it makes it more enjoyable to see if guys falls where I have had them slotted

Always fun to have a guy that you think was a 2nd round pick when no one else did and he goes later or not at all and turns into a stud so you can say yeah I knew that. Colsten was my best case of that. He came 2 players away from being undrafted completely and I thought he was a top 5 wr that year. Of course there are always the other guys that you think will be Joe Montana and they turn into chad Joe Blow like Chad May for instance. That's what makes it fun. I do not envy teams trying to evaluate qbs.

ChooChoo73

Reaction score
I will be trying to get my kids' homework done and get them to bed while trying to enjoy the draft. I live in Maryland and used to get two bushels of crabs from the waterfront every sat AM and have a draft/crab party with my friends. Now I am resigned to the BS Thurs. night garbage where I am juggling my week night routine as a single dad with my kids trying to enjoy and soak up the draft. I love the draft but the Thursday night deal has made it difficult to fully enjoy. I will be all over this site though. Love the Zone during and after the draft.

Fredd

Reaction score
I was in that boat until Goodell screwed it up. Moving the draft to a 4 day event is going to make it even worse.

I wouldn't want a 4th day, but I would still watch it...can't get enough...it is quite the let down for me once it is over...

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I was in that boat until Goodell screwed it up. Moving the draft to a 4 day event is going to make it even worse.

Just wait- 10 years from now it will be a Round a day starting on a Monday.
The NFLN will make a new Draft Network just to show it and year 'round analysis.
And you will have to pay for it to watch it.

I'll just stick with my radio, booze, beer and recreational medications.
If it goes for a week though...

I might not survive, or at least a hospitalization will be inevitable.

NJ22

Reaction score
I will be trying to get my kids' homework done and get them to bed while trying to enjoy the draft. I live in Maryland and used to get two bushels of crabs from the waterfront every sat AM and have a draft/crab party with my friends. Now I am resigned to the BS Thurs. night garbage where I am juggling my week night routine as a single dad with my kids trying to enjoy and soak up the draft. I love the draft but the Thursday night deal has made it difficult to fully enjoy. I will be all over this site though. Love the Zone during and after the draft.

Agreed the Saturday Sunday draft was best. What I don't understand is why make it Thursday Friday and Saturday when Friday night Saturday and Sunday does not screw up your work week and weekend.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Man- those Draft parties sound great!
Wish I lived nearby when you were throwin' 'em.