What's Next? Cowboys' LB corps is in dire straits

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a GREAT article about the LB situation. It needs some major additions this off season. And for goodness sake move Bell back to safety please! Must read article.

What's Next? Cowboys' LB corps is in dire straits
Feb 09, 2024
Patrik Walker

ccaouwzm6fgnu41pdjce.jpg

FRISCO, TX — One thing was made evident in 2023 by the Dallas Cowboys' defense, and that's the fact that linebackers do, in fact, matter. Some of the struggles in run defense were attributable to the lack of size in the LBs room, Damone Clark notwithstanding, and a career-threatening injury to Leighton Vander Esch only made matters instantly worse.

With Dan Quinn now in Washington with the Commanders, and Mike Zimmer replacing him as defensive coordinator, it's likely the Cowboys revisit their approach to the linebacker position.

It feels like a foregone conclusion that they will, considering just how prominent linebackers have historically been to Zimmer's defenses in the past.

And that would be welcome news, in my opinion.

Take a look below at where everything stands now, and where it should soon.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/what-s-next-cowboys-lb-corps-is-in-dire-straits
Another bust with a # 1 pick.
Ok, Jerry is inept and there's nothing we can do about that but why does Will McClay still have a job?
Taco, Mazi, bossman.a ton of # 2 picks wasted??????
Just like the team our draft picks if you look with open non-agenda eyes are just like our team............. OVER RATED!

shabazz

Reaction score
There are simply too many holes to fill in one season.

The Niners and Packers blowout games should have made that painfully clear.

Resigning Dak, Lamb and Parsons makes it all but impossible to remedy it through free agency in a MEANINGFUL way.

Next season is gonna be tough....I'm looking well beyond that for real change

conner01

Reaction score
The LB corp is nonexistent. LVE will not be back, Overshown might be too light. and the mouth is now a rusher.

LB will be a major concern in the draft. Probably around round 5 or later. "In Jerry, we trust, in Jerry we die"

We need a new TE in the first, the new guy is not looking good.
I’d sign a FA and then draft one. Can’t wait till late if you expect a starter. By signing a get you don’t have to pick one early if the quality isn’t there

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
There are simply too many holes to fill in one season.

The Niners and Packers blowout games should have made that painfully clear.

Resigning Dak, Lamb and Parsons makes it all but impossible to remedy it through free agency in a MEANINGFUL way.

Next season is gonna be tough....I'm looking well beyond that for real change
so no super bowl next year?

conner01

Reaction score
Ok, Jerry is inept and there's nothing we can do about that but why does Will McClay still have a job?
Just like the team our draft picks if you look with open non-agenda eyes are just like our team............. OVER RATED!
Not really. No team hits on every pick but we hit on more than most

Havic

Reaction score
Deep OL class, I want to see two of the top 3 picks be on the O-line. LB is a priority but I'd like to see us address it in FA and then focus on 2025 draft for Lber need.

rambo2

Reaction score
Overrated? They have won 37 games over the last 3 years. Compare that to every other team in the league. All of them.

stiletto

Reaction score
You right I missed that....my bad. Just tired of this team relying on rookies when no other contender does
They need to sign a legit NFL LB'er or two for sure. Never hurts to draft a couple either but yeah I don't agree with relying on the draft for all needs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They need a complete overhaul on the inside.

Parsons and Overshown are your starting points.

Clark is good depth, Vander Esch cannot be counted on.

Simple fix sign Josey Jewell as your starter, then sign a cheaper vet like Chaisson ($3 million) and draft Junior Colson early and a guy like Tommy Eichenberg or Dallas Gant on day 3.

You can then line up MICAH-JEWELL-OVERSHOWN (Vet to play if Overshown needs more time)

You groom Colson to be your future LB and Clark can eat snaps when needed.
Oversshown is Undersized.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
How about trading our last year 2nd TE (Schoonmaker) or McKeon for a LBer (or picks?). We still have Hendershot and Stevens that looked great in pre-season as backups?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Simply fix would be adding a veteran starter via fa, but you know how Stephen operates. They probably will be forced to draft a linebacker within their top two selections. If it was up to me, probably would sign a starting NT like Reader in fa and add a veteran linebacker as well. In the draft, find a few developmental guys behind them.