What's Next? Cowboys' LB corps is in dire straits

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
This team is always late with replacing players who have proven that they cannot be counted on for a whole season. Look at Tyron Smith, same deal. LVE has been a risk since the day he was drafted. Yet here we are still talking about what they do with LVE.

rambo2

Reaction score
Simply fix would be adding a veteran starter via fa, but you know how Stephen operates. They probably will be forced to draft a linebacker within their top two selections. If it was up to me, probably would sign a starting NT like Reader in fa and add a veteran linebacker as well. In the draft, find a few developmental guys behind them.
It will be interesting to see what they do. They did tweak their method of operation last year when they traded for Gilmore and Cooks.

rambo2

Reaction score
This team is always late with replacing players who have proven that they cannot be counted on for a whole season. Look at Tyron Smith, same deal. LVE has been a risk since the day he was drafted. Yet here we are still talking about what they do with LVE.
I would say that no players can be counted on for 20 games. The ones that make it beat the odds.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what they do. They did tweak their method of operation last year when they traded for Gilmore and Cooks.
It was a small gamble giving up late rd picks. Let’s see if Stephen opens up his checkbook for an outside fa, then I’ll be a believer

rambo2

Reaction score
It was a small gamble giving up late rd picks. Let’s see if Stephen opens up his checkbook for an outside fa, then I’ll be a believer
I would think that they would want to gamble on 1 high priced free agent this go around. At least 1 veteran linebacker and or defensive tackle. Maybe a 3 million dollar running back, although they claim they will draft 1.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I would say that no players can be counted on for 20 games. The ones that make it beat the odds.
True to a degree, but some players have enough of a history to show that they cannot be counted on and some of that is gleaned from age and injury history. Tyron Smith played a lot of seasons where he didn't miss a game until age and injuries started getting the better of him. LVE came into the league with an injury history. Can't tell me that you are counting on 17, 18, 20 etc games from these guys? Sure, you expect the best and plan for the worst.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would think that they would want to gamble on 1 high priced free agent this go around. At least 1 veteran linebacker and or defensive tackle. Maybe a 3 million dollar running back, although they claim they will draft 1.
They haven’t signed a high priced fa in over a decade

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yeah Zimmerman isn’t going to roll with the trash linebacking squad we’ve been playing with here.

I’m hoping they stock the shelves with dudes that can actually play the position this offseason.
I’d look for LB in the 2nd round. All depending on Tyron returning.

(RB1 in the 1st. Sorry RB haters. )

I’m a huge LVE fan, but I dont want him to risk his health.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The LB corp is nonexistent. LVE will not be back, Overshown might be too light. and the mouth is now a rusher.

LB will be a major concern in the draft. Probably around round 5 or later. "In Jerry, we trust, in Jerry we die"

We need a new TE in the first, the new guy is not looking good.
Dallas does not need a TE. They have not drafted this position well since Witten left, and they won nothing with him.

starfan1

Reaction score
The Super Bowl is a roulette wheel. 2 numbers out of 32 land there and there is only one winner in the end.
Yes too many fans don’t get that but I understand their frustration

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Along with some LBs in FA and the draft.....need to get a new LB coach too... Sean Lee, come on down. Get rid of this Scott McCurley guy who came with MM from GB. PRONTO....:mad:
Do we know what McCurley can really do?
He was given nobodies at LB as we don't know about Overshown. LVE was playing well until his injury. Then he was given S's for LB's.
Get some real LB's, and maybe he will be ok coaching them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The LB corp is nonexistent. LVE will not be back, Overshown might be too light. and the mouth is now a rusher.

LB will be a major concern in the draft. Probably around round 5 or later. "In Jerry, we trust, in Jerry we die"

We need a new TE in the first, the new guy is not looking good.
I would not count on LVE, but you know what this team does. They hang on to their guys.
Also Overshown, he may start TC on PUP, it is what this team does. Any injured players from the previous season, most of the time start on PUP, or misses half of TC doing sideline work. Then does not play in PS games do to ...precaution ...

TE is the least worry going into TC, but they still may draft one or sign a FA. We currently have 5 TE's and 1 FA that no one will sign.
And we have 6 LB's, if you count Micah, 2 injured but do not count LVE in that, and the rest are...who cares types.

If the FO ignores Zimmer request for LB's in FA and the draft. Then another nail in the coffin, that the team doesn't care. If I was Zimmer, I would walk out of the war room if they do not or have not addressed this.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get excited over FA. Because nothing happens that makes a difference. We will sign half of our own, and some mid to low level guys. Probably one year deals again.
Only thing to look forward to FA this year is, will they get LB's for Zimmer. And how many. No, they will not get big names.
And will they announce, Micah will play more of a traditional LB role, but also use him to pass rush, but better disguised.

Gambit

Reaction score
True but sometimes it takes awhile for lbs to click. But yes, it would be risky since he didn't pop until Roquan got there but we are in dire need of real men in the back 7. Queen is an enforcer
Because like Clark, he was playing out of position