What's the deal with Tyrone Crawford

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lol what? TC is a rotational piece at best. He's limited all across the line. Too small to play inside and no bend and quickness to put pressure on the qb consistently. I would say any defense that has him starting probably has a bad defense which this team has had for most of his career starting.
Gonna just link you this article which spells out the obvious:
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...an-still-positively-impact-the-dallas-defense

I'd prefer TC be the 6th guy which is what I actually stated.
But I'm not dumping my GF for Rihanna without you know having Rihanna.
There is a time and place to make moves and you don't have to make them just to make them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Which would be beyond terrible. Do you know how many sacks Crawford has from that position? Few, if any, actually do.

I see nothing "ideal" about that.

I'm nit letting Crawford 'compete' and risk more injury at the current $9 million contract.

Gregory and Smith didn't cost me $10 million for next to nothing last year or $9 million this year.

Any way anyone wants to spin this, it's not good.
Again, you have hated TC for about a decade so this is nothing new and you aren't adding anything.
They aren't cutting him just to cut him which would be stupid.

IF they need his cash they could cut him, or they could simply wait and see how the DL shapes up.

He is STILL the DL leader on this team even after DLaw got paid.
Right now he offers them some proven play as a RDE run stuffer and DT pass rush option.
MO ONE ELSE on the team offers that mix and they are light at BOTH.
Aldon Smith MAY be that guy but we gotta see it.

TC in a contract year may not be a bad thing.

kskboys

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...an-still-positively-impact-the-dallas-defense

There is a time and place to make moves and you don't have to make them just to make them.
Esp since Craws has said he'd be open to a lower salary.

He'd seriously be a quality rotational piece at 3 mil.

erod

Reaction score
Jeffcoat shouldn't be in that list. He was a stud starter who played for bad teams most of his career. He had 10 sacks on our 93 super bowl team, but wasn't noticed due to having so much talent. Top 30 all time in career sacks.
Hence why I said the later version of him in the 90s.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

We can't cut him because this front staff has been inept at bringing in talent on the DL. doesn't make him good. Makes you stay married to him so you don't pay child support and alimony. The fact we can't upgrade from him speaks more about the front office and coaching staff. Same way i felt about barry church and bumdrick.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If Poe and McCoy have been "pretty bad the past two years", then Crawford has been atrocious by comparison.

This is a truly uninformed take.
so they are all bad. none of them at this point is a proven capable commodity...and thus the throw people at the problem I stated......poe and McCoy were part of a pretty bad defense in Carolina. we can write up all the excuses as it was everybody else and not them....but they are to make us feel better. those two are names from the past, which we all hope (including myself) can give us a couple of good years....

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1) Crawford is a really good fit for Mike Nolan’s defense because he can play a lot of positions

2) It’s no coincidence that Tank’s numbers were much higher when he had Crawford next to him. Lawrence is great coming off a stunts and stunts are one of Crawford’s strengths

3) There’s going to be stiff competition on the defensive line this year so he could still yet be cut.

Last year 10 defensive linemen made the final 53. I think that Lawrence, Poe, McCoy, Aldon Smith, Gregory and Gallimore are locks today make the roster, that’s 6 of the 10.

Also high probability are Anae, Woods and Armstrong. That’s 9.

For reasons 1 and 2 above, I think Crawford makes the team; but if one of the UDFAs makes a serious push, or one of the rookies from last year (Hill, Joe Jackson, Jelks, etc) it could make things interesting.

I'm not necessarily feeling it with Armstrong. I was hoping to see more from him last year. Right now, I think he's an OK rotational player, but that's it ... and that might not be enough at end this year. So I think it comes down to him instead of Crawford and the players you mentioned. Anae might belong in that group, too, as there are reasons he fell to the fifth round. He could end up falling into the Ryan Russell or Brandon Williams category of DE picks by us.

So I'd say Lawrence, Poe, McCoy, Smith, Gregory, Gallimore, Crawford and Woods are probably in the safe group with Armstrong maybe slightly ahead of the others (Anae, Hill, Jackson, Jelks, Carter, Hamilton, Marino). Crawford's spot is only in jeopardy if there are a couple of ends who can play run downs better than him and at least two 3-techs better than him. Hill and Gallimore's progress might have the most impact on his roster spot.

DanA

Reaction score
so they are all bad. none of them at this point is a proven capable commodity...and thus the throw people at the problem I stated......poe and McCoy were part of a pretty bad defense in Carolina. we can write up all the excuses as it was everybody else and not them....but they are to make us feel better. those two are names from the past, which we all hope (including myself) can give us a couple of good years....

Are you rating the team or the players? Because that defense was woeful. McCoy and Poe were the 2nd and 3rd best players on that defense behind Luke Kuechly by a country mile. The edge rushers were lead by Bruce Irvin and saw the amazing Effe Obada (remember him?) regularly rotating through. The secondary routinely got smoked, and it's not like they were protected by a good offense lead by Kyle Allen at QB.

Good players can play on bad teams. The Commanders going 3-13 doesn't make Da'ron Payne and Jonathan Allen bad players.

gimmesix

Reaction score

There is statistical evidence that shows that Carolina was quite a bit better against the run when Poe was out there, but didn't play as well when he was hurt.

McCoy led the defensive line with 37 tackles and the second-most pressures with 22. He did that while playing more of a part-time role than he wanted and at end in a 3-4 scheme.

Who knows what they have left, but I think looking at the defense overall instead of the players individually doesn't tell the whole story.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is statistical evidence that shows that Carolina was quite a bit better against the run when Poe was out there, but didn't play as well when he was hurt.

McCoy led the defensive line with 37 tackles and the second-most pressures with 22. He did that while playing more of a part-time role than he wanted and at end in a 3-4 scheme.

Who knows what they have left, but I think looking at the defense overall instead of the players individually doesn't tell the whole story.
Not to mention that McCoy did something really stupid and tried to be a vegan. Nothing wrong w/ that unless you're trying to play in the NFL!!!!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Are you rating the team or the players? Because that defense was woeful. McCoy and Poe were the 2nd and 3rd best players on that defense behind Luke Kuechly by a country mile. The edge rushers were lead by Bruce Irvin and saw the amazing Effe Obada (remember him?) regularly rotating through. The secondary routinely got smoked, and it's not like they were protected by a good offense lead by Kyle Allen at QB.

Good players can play on bad teams. The Commanders going 3-13 doesn't make Da'ron Payne and Jonathan Allen bad players.
they were part of a bad defense....tthey were starters on a defense that ranked bad against the pass and the run. they were 2nd and 3rd best player as you said, on a bad defense....what does that say about them?

I am not going to pass judgement one way or the other, but we will see in preseason and upcoming season. but there is defintley some doubt..... like I said, we can write up excuses, point finger at everybody else and exclude these guys from the list, but I am not comfortable, there is doubt so lets keep Crawford, that right now is not costing anything, and we can cut him in preseason and nobody else we are missing on signing anyway.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

there is doubt about health, how much they can play, how much they have left in the tank. I am not willing to declare that we found our DTs...but like I said, I am not opposed to cutting Crawford, but cutting him right now to please a few fans that don't like him because of his contract doesn't make sense...he is on the books. he is not blocking us from signing anyone. we can wait until camp is over and make the call one way or the other....

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, you have hated TC for about a decade so this is nothing new and you aren't adding anything.

IF they need his cash they could cut him, or they could simply wait and see how the DL shapes up.

Right now he offers them some proven play as a RDE run stuffer and DT pass rush option.

He's a dud as an outside pass rusher. He should not be starting at RDE but that appears what the front office wants to do.

This is a case of the front office overvaluing what they have. And the fact they are eating up $9MM of cap space for it is also kind of chuckleworthy. I have zero issue with Crawford on the roster........... IN THE RIGHT ROLE.

That role isn't as a starting RDE with a $9MM cap hit.

gimmesix

Reaction score
there is doubt about health, how much they can play, how much they have left in the tank. I am not willing to declare that we found our DTs...but like I said, I am not opposed to cutting Crawford, but cutting him right now to please a few fans that don't like him because of his contract doesn't make sense...he is on the books. he is not blocking us from signing anyone. we can wait until camp is over and make the call one way or the other....

I agree on cutting Crawford. There's no reason to do it right now, and considering how he's been better than players who were supposed to start ahead of him, I won't be surprised if he's the third DT or splits time starting at RDE again. I'm a little more confident in McCoy and Poe because they both played well last year when they were in the game. Now, a drop-off can come at any time at their ages and injuries become a bigger issue, but the evidence we have doesn't show that they are finished yet ... and shows them to be an upgrade to the players filling their positions on this team last year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nothing "new" at all. I've been right. It wasn't me who wasted $45 million on a miscast role player. Specifically not when I said they should have cut him last year. Instead, they wasted $10 million that I wouldn't have. Nothing new here.

Far less "stupid" than grossly overpaying a role player for little return.

Or they could be as "stupid" as they were last year, as they appear to be so far.

Which translates to nothing on the field.

Which a guy off the street could do for vet minimum, not helping the case at all.

Are they? I can find 10 guys that would allow the team to get by just fine.

No doubt there. But it has nothing to do with Crawford staying or going because he gives nothing to pass rush at RDE anyway.

Him off the team is a better thing, that contract for sure Smart teams don't do dumb things with their roster and cap like this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

McCoy has been great for a long time. I'm not about to discount him based on one year being miscast in a screwed up scheme in Carolina. Same for Poe.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
McCoy has been great for a long time. I'm not about to discount him based on one year being miscast in a screwed up scheme in Carolina. Same for Poe.
proof is in the pudding.....lets wait and see.....McCoy is 32.....so how much does he have left in the tank in a very demanding position....we can wish them to be anything we like...that's being hopeful as I am too. but my response was that there is defintley some doubt, the DT and RDE right now is a mess.....even if McCoy and poe were starters and Gilmore the rotation guy. that makes 3, we need 5.

LDE is Lawrence and then who?

RDE is a total mess, with a lot of unknowns right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
proof is in the pudding.....lets wait and see.....McCoy is 32.....so how much does he have left in the tank in a very demanding position....we can wish them to be anything we like...that's being hopeful as I am too. but my response was that there is defintley some doubt, the DT and RDE right now is a mess.....even if McCoy and poe were starters and Gilmore the rotation guy. that makes 3, we need 5.

I agree about RDE having far too many questions and unknowns, but not defensive tackle. Other than RDE, the defensive line looks far better than it has in years!

LDE is Lawrence and then who?

How many LDE's do you need? I think they can play Joe Jackson there in a backup role.

RDE is a total mess, with a lot of unknowns right now.

I agree with you here. That's why I think they should cut Crawford and use that money to get a real, actual, bonafide RDE in Everson Griffen before someone else does. He's a better defensive end than Crawford stepping out of bed. All day, every day.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree about RDE having far too many questions and unknowns, but not defensive tackle. Other than RDE, the defensive line looks far better than it has in years!

How many LDE's do you need? I think they can play Joe Jackson there in a backup role.

I agree with you here. That's why I think they should cut Crawford and use that money to get a real, actual, bonafide RDE in Everson Griffen before someone else does. He's a better defensive end than Crawford stepping out of bed. All day, every day.

I do think we have more potential at DT, but I would still like to see more from them....regardless, we drafted a good DT, so hopefully the trend continues and hopefully he is not another Malik Collins. with that said, there is Poe, McCoy, Hill (yuck?), Gilmore....so having Crawford he can be a swing DT, RDE might give us position flexibility to keep 9 DTs instead of 10....he is not spectacular, but he is reliable and steady..

Lawrence will take majority of snaps, but we still have to find out who is his back up..perhaps Jackson...we shall see...he is not going to wow anyone with anything....

I am a bit concerned about griffen. ont he surface, it make sense, but why is he still on the market? why is his current team not signing him and they have a need....there must be somethings that are not publicized about him that's making him still available.....so I am a bit weary...

like I said and I think we have drifted on from the initial response, I am not a big fan of Crawford, nor do I hate him like some seemingly do because of his contract....he is on the books. he is not stopping us from signing anyone including griffen. we don't have to cut him until after training camp and see where the dust settles on all these players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think we have more potential at DT, but I would still like to see more from them....regardless, we drafted a good DT, so hopefully the trend continues and hopefully he is not another Malik Collins. with that said, there is Poe, McCoy, Hill (yuck?), Gilmore....so having Crawford he can be a swing DT, RDE might give us position flexibility to keep 9 DTs instead of 10....he is not spectacular, but he is reliable and steady..

I have my 4 defensive tackles already - two starters in McCoy and 3T and Poe at 1T. And backups for each in Gallimore and Antwaun Woods. I don;t need Crawford there either.

Lawrence will take majority of snaps, but we still have to find out who is his back up..perhaps Jackson...we shall see...he is not going to wow anyone with anything....

You mean like Crawford?

I am a bit concerned about griffen. ont he surface, it make sense, but why is he still on the market? why is his current team not signing him and they have a need....there must be somethings that are not publicized about him that's making him still available.....so I am a bit weary...

The Vikings don;t have the cap space and I think to date Griffen's asking price has been too high. But I think if a team offered him $8 - $10 million for a one year deal, he would take it. Cutting Crawford gives you $8 million of that.

like I said and I think we have drifted on from the initial response, I am not a big fan of Crawford, nor do I hate him like some seemingly do because of his contract....he is on the books. he is not stopping us from signing anyone including griffen. we don't have to cut him until after training camp and see where the dust settles on all these players.

If we have Crawford on the books, we have about $5 million in cap space remaining, not even for Griffen. If we want him, we cut Crawford for that money and sign a real right defensive end.