What's the Difference between a "Key" Player Loss and a "Regular" Player Loss?

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
superpunk said:
12.5 sacks

in 10 games.

6th round rookie Rob Pettiti, who was battling weight among other things, gave up 13, in 16 games.

So let's see.....on the one hand, we have Rob Pettiti, sixth round rookie, who gave up 0.81 sacks per game.

OTOH, we have third year pro Torrin Tucker, who gave up 1.25 sacks per game, being replaced by Flozell Adams.

Hmmmmm....

im just throwing prayers to every god i can think off that Pettiti turns out to be the next great offensive linemen

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Vintage said:
PT.

Tucker is not a key loss. At all. He is bad.

Now, when your Eagles begin to cut their roster down, do you count those cut people as key losses to your team? You know....the training camp bodies? Are those key losses?

Just one quick example ...using your concept. TO is a valuable threat to any opponent, he's a play-make and a talent. Yet, I don't look at TO as a "key"
loss to the Eagles ...in fact, he is a good loss to the Eagles; inspite of our WR corp.

TO is not a key loss. At all (SIC). He was bad for the Eagles!

cowboyfreak

Reaction score
Here's the deal....

PT's problem lies in vocabulary.

He is confusing a loss with something discarded.

For example,

I threw away some smelly fish heads this morning,
I did not lose them
!

I flushed something unmentionable down the toilet last night,
I did not lose it!

I kicked my wife out yesterday, I did not lose her!...........:p:

The Cowboys told Tucker to hit the road, They did not lose him!

superpunk

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Just one quick example ...using your concept. TO is a valuable threat to any opponent, he's a play-make and a talent. Yet, I don't look at TO as a "key"
loss to the Eagles ...in fact, he is a good loss to the Eagles; inspite of our WR corp.

What in the name of all that is holy are you talking about?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

TO WAS the eagles recieving core, now Donovan has to go back to throwing to who? whats his name and that one guy? so to me he would be qualified as a key loss...he made Donovan look alot better then he really is, as he did for Garcia and he'll make Bledsoe look even better also....time to go pick up NCAA 07 :)

superpunk

Reaction score
BTW.....9:05 Eastern time....post #42....the thread turns to.....

Terrell Owens.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

Except, in your amazing ability to take something out of context....

Read the ENTIRE post. Tucker is not a loss bec. he was a poor player (not talented), because he'd been down on the depth chart, because he'd likely have been cut and not make the roster.

T.O. issues aside, he WOULD have made your roster from a talent standpoint.

Tucker wouldn't have made ours.

Therefore, not a key loss.

HUGE difference.

Now. Answer my question. Is someone who gets cut when rosters get trimmed down a key loss?

Because Tucker would likely have suffered that fate. He would be 5th on depth chart at OT.

Your answer has to be yes for you to have any real arguement here.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Adams, Pettiti, Fabini, and Columbo is light years better than Tucker, Pettiti (rook), Columbo, and Vollers(?).

I don't see how it's even close. Allen, Rivera, Peterman, and Gurode vs Kosier, Rivera, Peterman, and Gurode is more complex. Rivera will likely be a better player as will Peterman and Gurode fighting for his football life. Kosier will be better in blitz pickup, stunt pickups and run blocking while Allen was better in short yardage and interior pass protection.

Al Johnson has supposedly improved his strength at the point of attack, and so I believe he has only improved over last season.

I think overall the Dallas OL has improved greatly gaining more of a push up the middle in the running game (except short yardage) and far better pass blocking on the edges. Moreover the OL has become a bit more balanced so the defense does not have a point to stack against without sacrificing elsewhere.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I'll cut PT some slack on the Owens thing.

He didn't bring it up to talk about Owens.

He brought it up as an example to try and undermine my statement. Unfortunately for him, he butchered it.

superpunk

Reaction score
How does "He is being replaced by Pro-Bowl Offensive Lineman Flozell Adams" not end this thread?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Adams, Pettiti, Fabini, and Columbo is light years better than Tucker, Pettiti (rook), Columbo, and Vollers(?).

This is the key... No one had mentioned Fabini. Our offseason at the OL position was basically getting Flozell back, Petitti getting another year of offseason training under his belt... and replacing Tucker with Fabini. Now if Adams goes down again, he will be replaced by Fabini, who may even be our starting RT (Fabini would move over to LT and Petitti would play RT).

I would agree with the premise PT, that Tucker's loss COULD HAVE been key as we saw last year OL depth was the reason for the ultimate meltdown last season. But because we replaced Tucker with Fabini, and there is no real debate as to the upgrade there, Tucker's loss specifically was not a key loss.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Seriously PT, Direct me to a good Eagles MB. And not the one with the "tate'rs".

I always laugh about post counts too. I simply dont notice or care. I respond to threads I want to respond to and choose to ignore others.

I have a hard time referring good football fans (like yourself) to other Eagle MBs. Primarily because I wouldn't want to be responsible for referring you to a board that bashes you because of your fandom. Look ...I Get bashed sometimes, that's one of the reasons I'm so thick skinned. Of course the Zone has also helped thicken my skin too.

Disclaimer

I don't want you to come back later and ask me why I referred you to any particular MB. But if I absolutely had to refer you somewhere, it would be philadelphia Eagles (dot) Com

Enter at Your own risk. but I'll say One thing ...if you can survive there, you can survive anywhere!:rolleyes:

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Vintage said:
:shoot2: :shoot1: :shoot3: :clubbed: :chainsaw: :fight: :spanking: :chop: :bomb:

Is that enough?

What is this nonsense? I sure hope that post isn't being observed as consideration for some type of MB recognition.:confused:

Since there has been a lot of discussion about post counts, I'd like the Mods to direct their attention toward unrelated topics, and post squanderings filled with nonsensical emotion icons simply to raise thier numbers. Isn't that infringing upon other poster's time and memory space, showing a lack of appreciation toward the proprietor? I mean come on ...where's the Reality
in this?

AtlCB

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I disagree with you there Vintage. I believe there's a huge difference between "Key" player and "play-makers." Any player loss effects a team. Now granted, some losses have more impact long term than immediate ...but a loss will affect some players as "Key" and Others as "regular. Let's take the DL coach ...Torrin Tucker's loss is not as much of a "Key" loss to the DL as it was for the OL coach.
Torrin Tucker is not a Key loss to the OL coach. He would not have been a starter or an important backup. With the signing of Fabini, I seriously doubt that Tucker would have made the team this year. If Adams wasn't injured last year, Tucker would have not been on the Cowboys' regular season roster.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
What is this nonsense? I sure hope that post isn't being observed as consideration for some type of MB recognition.:confused:

Since there has been a lot of discussion about post counts, I'd like the Mods to direct their attention toward unrelated topics, and post squanderings filled with nonsensical emotion icons simply to raise thier numbers. Isn't that infringing upon other poster's time and memory space, showing a lack of appreciation toward the proprietor? I mean come on ...where's the Reality
in this?

That post was merely a joke. Relax.

If you honestly think I care about my post count, you are losing it more than I originally thought. If I cared about my post count here, I would ONLY post here, to up it to its full max.

Yet, I post on a couple of message boards.

The Falcon Scout Message board, the Saints Scout message board, basketballboards.net, and here.

Seems to me, if I truly cared about a post count, I would only post on one message board to up my count. And seeing as how I primarily post on basketballboards.net, it further takes away from my post count here...which, apparently, I "care" so much for.

You can't attack my football related posts. So you went after something else.

Time for you to answer the following question:

Except, in your amazing ability to take something out of context....

Read the ENTIRE post. Tucker is not a loss bec. he was a poor player (not talented), because he'd been down on the depth chart, because he'd likely have been cut and not make the roster.

T.O. issues aside, he WOULD have made your roster from a talent standpoint.

Tucker wouldn't have made ours.

Therefore, not a key loss.

HUGE difference.

Now. Answer my question. Is someone who gets cut when rosters get trimmed down a key loss?

Because Tucker would likely have suffered that fate. He would be 5th on depth chart at OT.

Your answer has to be yes for you to have any real arguement here.

superpunk

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

in this?

:):bang2::(:laugh1::banghead::confused::starspin:eek::star::lmao2::rolleyes::mad::cool::lmao::p::lmao::lmao::lmao2::rolleyes::starspin:eek::star::star::star:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon said:

in this?
Nope. :cool:

As a discussion board, people tend to express themselves in different ways. Obviously he felt that your post deserved an extreme diet of Zone emoticons.

superpunk

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

As a discussion board, people tend to express themselves in different ways. Obviously he felt that your post deserved an extreme diet of Zone emoticons.

Actually, it was my post.

They were trying to shoot superman.

It was pure folly.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

I am not sure there is an emoticon to describe PT.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
Actually, it was my post.

They were trying to shoot superman.

It was pure folly.
Oops. I didn't want to go thru the whole thread and actually have to read all of PT's posts in the process. He makes me think too hard. And it's too early for that w/o coffee. :p: