What's the Difference between a "Key" Player Loss and a "Regular" Player Loss?

superpunk

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Oops. I didn't want to go thru the whole thread and actually have to read all of PT's posts in the process. He makes me think too hard. And it's too early for that w/o coffee. :p:

No problem.

You gave me a chance to use "folly" in a sentence. I've now used it twice in one morning. It's a good day.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
A "key" loss is a superstar player or a solid player who the drop off to who replaces him is big.

For example, Flozell Adams was a "key" loss because of the drop off from him to Tucker.

Roy Williams would be a "key" loss because he is a legitimate superstar. Terrell Owens from the Eagles in 2004 and then again in 2005 was a "key" loss. They battled through it in 2004, it and the "key" loss of a healthy Donovan McNabb sunk them in 2005.

A "regular" loss is one where the backup comes in and plays just as well, or even better. The Packers lost Don Majkowksi and in the process discovered Brett Favre. The Patriots lost Drew Bledsoe and in the process discovered Tom Brady.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
:gassy3: :trophy: :horse:

That's just......ownage.

Unfortunately, I still want him to answer my question. But I think he has run off.

Oh well. I guess I will have to wait for tomorrow's thread.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
the kid 05 said:
Phoenix-Talon said:
TO WAS the eagles recieving core, now Donovan has to go back to throwing to who?

Some of the same people he was throwing to to get the Eagles to the NFC Championship games over the past 4 years (minus the year of injuries ...2005)

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
PT, in case you missed it...

Vintage Refusing to Let PT Ignore This said:
Phoenix-Talon Trying to Desperately Change Topic said:
What is this nonsense? I sure hope that post isn't being observed as consideration for some type of MB recognition.:confused:

Since there has been a lot of discussion about post counts, I'd like the Mods to direct their attention toward unrelated topics, and post squanderings filled with nonsensical emotion icons simply to raise thier numbers. Isn't that infringing upon other poster's time and memory space, showing a lack of appreciation toward the proprietor? I mean come on ...where's the Reality
in this?

That post was merely a joke. Relax.

If you honestly think I care about my post count, you are losing it more than I originally thought. If I cared about my post count here, I would ONLY post here, to up it to its full max.

Yet, I post on a couple of message boards.

The Falcon Scout Message board, the Saints Scout message board, basketballboards.net, and here.

Seems to me, if I truly cared about a post count, I would only post on one message board to up my count. And seeing as how I primarily post on basketballboards.net, it further takes away from my post count here...which, apparently, I "care" so much for.

You can't attack my football related posts. So you went after something else.

Time for you to answer the following question:

Vintage Pwns PT said:
Except, in your amazing ability to take something out of context....

Read the ENTIRE post. Tucker is not a loss bec. he was a poor player (not talented), because he'd been down on the depth chart, because he'd likely have been cut and not make the roster.

T.O. issues aside, he WOULD have made your roster from a talent standpoint.

Tucker wouldn't have made ours.

Therefore, not a key loss.

HUGE difference.

Now. Answer my question. Is someone who gets cut when rosters get trimmed down a key loss?

Because Tucker would likely have suffered that fate. He would be 5th on depth chart at OT.

Your answer has to be yes for you to have any real arguement here.

burmafrd

Reaction score
BUT the NFC East is not the joke it was; the Birds are no better then they were in 2003; while the rest of the division is. 8-8, maybe 9-7 this year.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
the kid 05 said:
Some of the same people he was throwing to to get the Eagles to the NFC Championship games over the past 4 years (minus the year of injuries ...2005)

lets be honest, those four years the NFC was complete and utter trash. now im not trying to take away from their accomplishment, but even with To and Moss i doubt the eagles could do that again especally after the way the NFC has shappened up

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Now. Answer my question. Is someone who gets cut when rosters get trimmed down a key loss?

Dayam ...that's a great question ...I'm so glad you asked it.

In some instances trimming down a roster could actually mean loosing a player that may have key characteristics or as a result of the roster loss/trim down the impact has an indirect domino effect.

For example ...Tucker's loss may not necessarily be viewed as a direct key loss to the team, but may be a key loss to the OL (e.g., depth, rotation, back ups to solidify a position during a cintingency situation).

Your answer has to be yes for you to have any real arguement here

My answer is not necessarily. How could you possibly know what Impact (direct or otherwise) Tucker's removal from the roster, will have on the OL?
Time will tell.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Time for you to answer the following question:

I answered It ...give me a chance to respond. You are merely focused on me ..whereas, I am responding to everyone else including you! A little patience if you please!

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Dayam ...that's a great question ...I'm so glad you asked it.

In some instances trimming down a roster could actually mean loosing a player that may have key characteristics or as a result of the roster loss/trim down the impact has an indirect domino effect.

For example ...Tucker's loss may not necessarily be viewed as a direct key loss to the team, but may be a key loss to the OL (e.g., depth, rotation, back ups to solidify a position during a cintingency situation).

My answer is not necessarily. How could you possibly know what Impact (direct or otherwise) Tucker's removal from the roster, will have on the OL?
Time will tell.

If Tucker was going to be our 5th OT, there is almost 0% chance he plays at all this year.

What possible impact could he have on the team to be construed as a key loss?

None. You are grasping for straws here. And failing. Miserably.

What key characteristic are we going to miss from Tucker? Besides giving up 12.5 sacks in 10 games? What key characteristic is missing with his "key loss?"

the kid 05

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I answered It ...give me a chance to respond. You are merely focused on me ..whereas, I am responding to everyone else including you! A little patience if you please!

this is america we expect things right away! hurry pT! :laugh1: just messin budd :p:

superpunk

Reaction score
Well, I think our "bug-eyes" ratio dropped about 80%... That's "key"....

s6693.jpg

the kid 05

Reaction score
Vintage said:
If Tucker was going to be our 5th OT, there is almost 0% chance he plays at all this year.

What possible impact could he have on the team to be construed as a key loss?

None. You are grasping for straws here. And failing. Miserably.

What key characteristic are we going to miss from Tucker? Besides giving up 12.5 sacks in 10 games? What key characteristic is missing with his "key loss?"

3 OT's get hurt that means our 5th one is getting playing time...he was refuring to the fact that injuries happen, that happened to us when we let someone go last year because Coach Parcells felt out line was good and didn't need him. then Adams went down and we could have used the fella we released

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Well, I think our "bug-eyes" ratio dropped about 80%... That's "key"....

s6693.jpg

I am waiting for PT to explain to us that those 12.5 sacks were "key sacks" for our QB to take, as it reinforced the belief that Bledsoe can survive a beating, and kept Pettiti from giving up more sacks...which makes us think we have a future RT...

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
the kid 05 said:
3 OT's get hurt that means our 5th one is getting playing time...he was refuring to the fact that injuries happen, that happened to us when we let someone go last year because Coach Parcells felt out line was good and didn't need him. then Adams went down and we could have used the fella we released

Do you think we are going to carry 5 OT's on game day?

What happens if our top 3 QB's go down? We probably should carry a 4th QB on game day too.

And if our starting 4 LB's go down, we should probably carry at least 10, if not more LB's.

the kid 05

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Do you think we are going to carry 5 OT's on game day?

What happens if our top 3 QB's go down? We probably should carry a 4th QB on game day too.

And if our starting 4 LB's go down, we should probably carry at least 10, if not more LB's.

the 10 LB's is possible with Coach Parcells :rolleyes:

they might not be listed as OT but im sure we have players that can play other positions