What's up with Reggie Nelson?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Doesn't anyone know what is going on with this guy? I mean I haven't heard a thing about him, and its almost like there is no interest, from anyone. Did something happen off field that makes this guy untouchable and we haven't found out yet? It seems weird that a guy of his talent level and production is just sitting there unsigned.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He's 32, what is the surprise here? Teams aren't going to jump and give him a big contract. I'm sure he has been contacted, Bengals included. Seems he's wanting to get a good contract with the Bengals, which is probably the only team to give him one.

Throw him in a one or two year contract, he declines, move on. He'll be 33 years old at the beginning of the season.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Doesn't anyone know what is going on with this guy? I mean I haven't heard a thing about him, and its almost like there is no interest, from anyone. Did something happen off field that makes this guy untouchable and we haven't found out yet? It seems weird that a guy of his talent level and production is just sitting there unsigned.

I really think it's the age thing working against him

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
As a couple of people have already responded, the article pasted below indicates that his age is the thing working against someone signing him. That said, I'm like you...a little surprised that someone hasn't had him in for a visit yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/15/age-appears-to-be-working-against-reggie-nelson/

phildadon86

Reaction score
He's 32, what is the surprise here? Teams aren't going to jump and give him a big contract. I'm sure he has been contacted, Bengals included. Seems he's wanting to get a good contract with the Bengals, which is probably the only team to give him one.

Throw him in a one or two year contract, he declines, move on. He'll be 33 years old at the beginning of the season.

That's a valid point. But even at 33 he is better than anyone we have at the position on this team. Would you rather Goldson or Nelson? lol

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Ive wanted this guy from start of FA. Can play SS or FS.

But if wants break bank money, no way. And for the deal we would want him for he prob stays in Cincy.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're at a point now with the draft a month away where most teams are going to stick with what they have until after the draft unless they can sign free agents to cut-friendly contracts.

LittleD

Reaction score
The case has never been closed on the 2007 possible Aaron Hernandez/Reggie Nelson shooting. That and his age
probably puts him in the box as far as the Cowboys is concerned.

Zordon

Reaction score

I really think it's the age thing working against him

You guys really need to get over this age thing. We seem to be obsessed about it as an organization. Give me a guy in his 30s who knows how to play over these guys in their 20s who still don't know how to take the correct angle on tackles (Wilcox). This organization has been so obsessed with staying young the last few years, they've missed out on some decent vets that could have helped us. A guy like Charles Woodson would have been a tremendous help the last few years. How about Charles Tillman? This organization doesn't even show interest to these guys for some reason.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You guys really need to get over this age thing. We seem to be obsessed about it as an organization. Give me a guy in his 30s who knows how to play over these guys in their 20s who still don't know how to take the correct angle on tackles (Wilcox). This organization has been so obsessed with staying young the last few years, they've missed out on some decent vets that could have helped us. A guy like Charles Woodson would have been a tremendous help the last few years. How about Charles Tillman? This organization doesn't even show interest to these guys for some reason.

Need to get over his age thing? Dude, age is important in a league where you cross the 30 mark and hit a quick decline. He's going to be 33, wants top dollar, wants so much money that the team he's had success with over the past 6-7 years are losing interest in him.

"Get over his age thing" - Are you kidding me?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/3/22/11283898/reggie-nelson-drawing-interest-from-titans

According to ESPN's Paul Kuharsky, the Titans have "touched base" with Nelson and several other free-agent safeties, though it doesn't sound like there was significant interest from both parties. Like pretty much every other team that's looked into Nelson, no one appears to be high enough on him that they're ready to offer a sizable contract.

This is why he's not signed. Dude wants a big pay day before he leaves the NFL.

LittleD

Reaction score

Not gonna happen with the Cowboys.. He and Leon Hall want lots of money and long deals which the boys are not going to hand out
this close to the draft. The NFL rule is never pay age or if you do...look out below!

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I'm in favor of signing aging vets if they're that one piece the teams missing. We're more then 1 player away. If we don't draft a safety in the top 3 rounds then you go and get Nelson