What's up with Reggie Nelson?

Zordon

Reaction score
Need to get over his age thing? Dude, age is important in a league where you cross the 30 mark and hit a quick decline. He's going to be 33, wants top dollar, wants so much money that the team he's had success with over the past 6-7 years are losing interest in him.

"Get over his age thing" - Are you kidding me?

the first thing you brought up was his age, not the money. i also think it's important to have decent safety play. right now we have no leaders back there. nobody we can consistently count on. if we can't draft em properly or develop em, then why don't we overpay a bit for a known commodity? you might feel better about yourself in march for saving money, but how does that help us in the fall when we're getting ripped to sheds in the passing game?

StarMan2112

Reaction score
For a reasonable contract, I'm all for it. He'd be a great mentor to Jones and he's certainly an upgrade over Church and Wilcox.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's got to have just priced himself out of the market for the time being. He'll come out of his tree sometime after the draft. Or somebody will get hurt and some team will climb up in the tree and go out on the limb with him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He's got to have just priced himself out of the market for the time being. He'll come out of his tree sometime after the draft. Or somebody will get hurt and some team will climb up in the tree and go out on the limb with him.

This is also what I was thinking. He's an after the draft signing.

Daillest88

Reaction score
That would be a very dumb contract.

Nope not really. Depends on guarantees and it's only 2 years, for a guy who was one of the best safeties last year.. not dumb at all. Front load the contract and if he stinks it up(doubt it) hardly a cap hit. Not to mention weddle got 4 years 26 million lol and most of you were crying we didn't sign him lol

Daillest88

Reaction score
Don't want to pay him that money at all.

Rather pay him than Brandon Carr who makes no plays what so ever. This guy led all safteys last year with 8 interceptions.. 2 years wouldn't hurt us at all. Barry church is getting 4.25 million next year lmao wth does he bring to the table??

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Rather pay him than Brandon Carr who makes no plays what so ever. This guy led all safteys last year with 8 interceptions.. 2 years wouldn't hurt us at all. Barry church is getting 4.25 million next year lmao wth does he bring to the table??

One is a #1 corner, the other is a 32 year old FS. He makes plays? Yeah, on a defense where he's surrounded by talent.

Daillest88

Reaction score
One is a #1 corner, the other is a 32 year old FS. He makes plays? Yeah, on a defense where he's surrounded by talent.

Scandrick and with Jones improving ,there's talent there.. Yup Carr is s corner who is going to count 14.1 million dollars against our cap and does average at best.. And church who's going to count 4.25 million million against our cap who does absolutely nothing!! You get Reggie Nelson next to Jones we were would have a hell of a saftey core, a 2 year contract wouldn't hurt us at all the problem is he wants a 4-5 year deal which would give us trouble to sign our future players

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

I'd rather draft a guy like Ramsey or Joseph and go young back there than pay a guy who has been in the league for 9 years and who got 1/4th of his total career INTs in his age 32 free agency year on a great defense.

PASS @ 9m per.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Scandrick and with Jones improving ,there's talent there.. Yup Carr is s corner who is going to count 14.1 million dollars against our cap and does average at best.. And church who's going to count 4.25 million million against our cap who does absolutely nothing!! You get Reggie Nelson next to Jones we were would have a hell of a saftey core, a 2 year contract wouldn't hurt us at all the problem is he wants a 4-5 year deal which would give us trouble to sign our future players

Scandrick is a nickel corner. Some of you here need to get it out of your head that Scandrick is a great outside corner, he's decent at best. Dude struggled to keep a jump ball from Victor Cruz in 2011, I don't even want to think about him going up against 6-2 receivers on a regular basis. Keep him in the slot. As for Jones, he's not a corner and he looked like trash playing corner last year, he's a safety.

"He does absolutely nothing" - Look I'm no big fan of Carr, but he does NOTHING is an exaggeration. For all the talk about how awful he is, I can't think of many HUGE plays he gave up. I wish he would make more plays on the ball, I wish we could replace him, but with who?

Daillest88

Reaction score
I'd rather draft a guy like Ramsey or Joseph and go young back there than pay a guy who has been in the league for 9 years and who got 1/4th of his total career INTs in his age 32 free agency year on a great defense.

PASS @ 9m per.

Lol.. Signing Nelson to a 2 year contract wouldn't stop us from drafting those guys.. As I said you give him most of his guarantees the first year, restructure Carr, cut church if he sucks, you cut him after one year and hardly take a cap hit..this is what the ravens did with Weddle..

Daillest88

Reaction score
the first thing you brought up was his age, not the money. i also think it's important to have decent safety play. right now we have no leaders back there. nobody we can consistently count on. if we can't draft em properly or develop em, then why don't we overpay a bit for a known commodity? you might feel better about yourself in march for saving money, but how does that help us in the fall when we're getting ripped to sheds in the passing game?

Exactly.. Look the guy wants to get paid.. 2 year deal front load the contract he sucks move on from him next year.. Restructure Carr, release Church there you go.. Have him and Jones as our safteys our secondary would be very solid.. And this move doesn't impact the draft .

phildadon86

Reaction score

Age really seemed to slow down AP last season, let me tell you. :muttley:

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Nope not really. Depends on guarantees and it's only 2 years, for a guy who was one of the best safeties last year.. not dumb at all. Front load the contract and if he stinks it up(doubt it) hardly a cap hit. Not to mention weddle got 4 years 26 million lol and most of you were crying we didn't sign him lol

I'm not most. That would be a dumb contract. The reason he is still a free agent is every other team/GM shares my same opinion.

Daillest88

Reaction score
I'm not most. That would be a dumb contract. The reason he is still a free agent is every other team/GM shares my same opinion.

He wants a long term deal like 4-5 years, that's why he isn't signed. That would be a dumb move

the_h0wey

Reaction score
He wants a long term deal like 4-5 years, that's why he isn't signed. That would be a dumb move

He won't get that long of a deal or anywhere close to the money you seem to think he wants. Also concerning his current team and Zimmer, his old coach, have no interest in him.