Whats Your Favorite Muscle Car?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4651287 said:
Yeah, not all are.

Corvettes and Vipers aren't muscle cars either. If I remember, true muscle cars had to have more than two seats in them. This is what made them distinct from the high end super sports cars.

Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high-performance automobiles.[1] The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."[2] A large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers. Sold at an affordable price, muscle cars are intended for mainly street use and occasional drag racing.[3][4][5][6] They are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
jobberone;4651297 said:
Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high-performance automobiles.[1] The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."[2] A large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers. Sold at an affordable price, muscle cars are intended for mainly street use and occasional drag racing.[3][4][5][6] They are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing.

Even with that definition I still don't think of a Viper as a muscle car. I don't even think of newer Corvettes as muscle cars. Old school Corvettes I do. If it's fuel injected it's not a muscle car.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4651300 said:
Even with that definition I still don't think of a Viper as a muscle car. I don't even think of newer Corvettes as muscle cars. Old school Corvettes I do. If it's fuel injected it's not a muscle car.

Actually, that declares that Corvettes and Vipers are not muscle cars.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4651309 said:
Actually, that declares that Corvettes and Vipers are not muscle cars.

What am I missing? Couldn't you say [1], which is the broadest, allows a viper and corvette to fall under it's definition?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4651313 said:
What am I missing? Couldn't you say [1], which is the broadest, allows a viper and corvette to fall under it's definition?

Specifically:

A large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers.

Though in all honesty, it doesn't actually have to be a V8 engine. There are muscle cars that have turbo charged V6s. The Viper and Corvette seat 2 passengers. In other words, true muscle cars have to have a back seat.

The [1] you see if a Wikipedia reference link, not saying it has to fit into A. or B. type instance.

RS12

Reaction score
jobberone;4650916 said:
Someone ran into the back of it and destroyed it. They had no insurance. The car had been restored recently when I got it. Red and white pleated interior, new top, new paint. Nice. I loved it. Wish I had my 68 GTO, 69 Chevelle SS396, 1981 930 Porsche and 1971 Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3L as well as 73 911 restored to 71 RSR specs. But who knew.

Based on your car owning history you have been nominated as coolest mod on the board.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Wolfpack;4649896 said:
Thats really all you had to work with but also you could get an Olds 442 that looked really sharp or the not so sharp looking Grand Prix version.

The IROCs were a great looking car.

Mid 80's the IROC was the best looking car going down the road. Coming at you from the opposite direction, nothing else was in the same class.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Ok so the real question is what does everyone prefer.... muscle cars or sports cars i.e. Corvettes and Vipers? I prefer muscle cars :)

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I do not agree with that definiton...I consider the 60's Vette's Muscle Cars.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
pjtoadie;4651629 said:
Ok so the real question is what does everyone prefer.... muscle cars or sports cars i.e. Corvettes and Vipers? I prefer muscle cars :)

I enjoyed my Vettes as great all around cars - the perfect daily driver.

The Vette gives you the most bang for your buck.

Muscle cars are great hobby cars - fun to drive and play around with. A big block hot rod/muscle car gives you a feel that nothing else does. Maybe the youngters get the rice burners to go fast, but they dont have the sound or the feel or the character.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
viman96;4651636 said:
I do not agree with that definiton...I consider the 60's Vette's Muscle Cars.

The only Vette I've ever cared for was the 73' Stingray. My buddy's dad (same one that owned the 55 Chevy Deluxe), also owned a black and gold 73' Stingray.

Look like this one, but the bottom 35% of the car was gold with a mirror finish.

1.jpg

He also had a glitter purple one that had Purple Rain etched in each the driver and passenger window, but it was kind of ... well you know. He sold it. Looked neat, but I wouldn't drive it. :laugh2:

a_minimalist

Reaction score
pjtoadie;4651629 said:

Sports cars, hands down.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4651652 said:
Sports cars, hands down.

Screw those. Give me a Candy Apple Red 68' Camera SS, Black 78 Firebird, or an 85' Buick Grand National or a recent Aston Martin DB9. (which except for the fact that it isn't American is a muscle car)

I would spit on Ferrari, Lamborghini, and whatever else you throw out there.

One two seater car I would take is the Ford GT.

ford-gt.jpg

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
RS12;4651526 said:
Based on your car owning history you have been nominated as coolest mod on the board.

Why thank you! However, I was already the Koolest. I mean right behind WG. ;)

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
pjtoadie;4651629 said:

Muscle car. No question.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Sports car. For me I can enjoy it way more. If I owned a Muscle Car it would be a 3rd car.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4651643 said:
The only Vette I've ever cared for was the 73' Stingray. My buddy's dad (same one that owned the 55 Chevy Deluxe), also owned a black and gold 73' Stingray.

Not me. It would a 1963 Split Window or a 1967 427 Stingray. Or a late 50's Vette.

1958-corvette.jpg

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4651682 said:
Screw those. Give me a Candy Apple Red 68' Camera SS, Black 78 Firebird, or an 85' Buick Grand National or a recent Aston Martin DB9. (which except for the fact that it isn't American is a muscle car)

I would spit on Ferrari, Lamborghini, and whatever else you throw out there.

One two seater car I would take is the Ford GT.

ford-gt.jpg

LOL Those cars don't count if you end with a sports car. You might be them off the line, but you won't top out where most modern sports cars do :D

I couldn't even name one sports car because I love so many.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
viman96;4651854 said:
Not me. It would a 1963 Split Window or a 1967 427 Stingray. Or a late 50's Vette.

I love the 58-62 as much as the 2nd gen. Beautiful 58.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
We had a mixture of Muscle Cars and Sport Cars growing up which is why I love both. My dad had a 58 Vette (before I was born), 1969 AMX 390 w/Go Package, Turbo RX-7, 1967 427 Stingray convertible and various other performance cars.

The AMX had a Holly 750 Carb with 150 shot of N2O. That thing was a monster off the line.