Whats Your Favorite Muscle Car?

a_minimalist

Reaction score
viman96;4651883 said:
We had a mixture of Muscle Cars and Sport Cars growing up which is why I love both. My dad had a 58 Vette (before I was born), 1969 AMX 390 w/Go Package, Turbo RX-7, 1967 427 Stingray convertible and various other performance cars.

The AMX had a Holly 750 Carb with 150 shot of N2O. That thing was a monster off the line.

Every RX-7 had a rotary engine right?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Yes that is how they came from Mazda. Same with the Cosmo, RX2, RX3, REPU, RX4, RX5, JC Cosmo, RX8, and a few other Rotary vehicles :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4651862 said:
LOL Those cars don't count if you end with a sports car. You might be them off the line, but you won't top out where most modern sports cars do :D

I couldn't even name one sports car because I love so many.

You need to study up on your Ford GTs. You've got your facts wrong. ;)

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
pjtoadie;4651629 said:
Ok so the real question is what does everyone prefer.... muscle cars or sports cars i.e. Corvettes and Vipers? I prefer muscle cars :)

Problem is that Vipers and Corvettes can corner now, but muscle cars can't corner. I would still call any american car with a large engine a muscle car. I know if you are European or Japanese you think of less technologically advanced power cars as muscle cars.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4652424 said:
You need to study up on your Ford GTs. You've got your facts wrong. ;)

I think there might be a breakdown in communication. Wouldn't you consider the Ford GT a sports car?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4652544 said:
I think there might be a breakdown in communication. Wouldn't you consider the Ford GT a sports car?

I would consider the GT40 a race car and the modern Ford GT a sports car, it is a car based off a competition with Ferraris

Kristen82

Reaction score
MonsterD;4652471 said:
Problem is that Vipers and Corvettes can corner now, but muscle cars can't corner. I would still call any american car with a large engine a muscle car. I know if you are European or Japanese you think of less technologically advanced power cars as muscle cars.

What do you define as a "large" engine though? I think unless it's super- or turbocharged, anything with a V6 or lower shouldn't qualify as being a "muscle car", like a Mustang V6 looks like a muscle car but it's too wimpy.

Maybe I'm too liberal with the boundaries between the two designations, but IMHO any Corvette like my V8 C5 can fit in both "muscle" and "sports" categories - the former because of the engine and the latter because of the handling.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4652544 said:

Yes, I even noted it when I brought it up. I said I would takes muscle cars over super sports cars. I said the one exception would be the Ford GT.

MonsterD;4652591 said:
I would consider the GT40 a race car and the modern Ford GT a sports car, it is a car based off a competition with Ferraris

The Ford GT is considered in the class of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc except for the fact that the Ford GT whips the ever living **** out of them on the track. The only reason it is considered in their class is like the others, the Ford GT is street legal. :)

The Ford GT could easily be considered in the professional race car class. Though I'm not sure it was ever actually entered into a professional race.

It's a crying shame they are now out of production. I saw one parked on Greenwich Ave once. They are freaking awesome.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4652834 said:
The Ford GT could easily be considered in the professional race car class. Though I'm not sure it was ever actually entered into a professional race.

The Ford GT is definitely used in professional racing.

MARCVDS%20FORD%20GT%20N%C2%B040.jpg

MATECH-07.jpg

matech-ford-gt_600x0w.jpg

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
The simple fact some people put mustangs in here is ridiculous. (Unless it was a girl) Thread should be deleted. Lol

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
StarBoyz83;4652882 said:
The simple fact some people put mustangs in here is ridiculous. (Unless it was a girl) Thread should be deleted. Lol

Umm. The Shelby GT500s were freaking awesome. What do you consider a muscle car? Datsun 280Z? :laugh2:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4652891 said:
Umm. The Shelby GT500s were freaking awesome. What do you consider a muscle car? Datsun 280Z? :laugh2:

Older mustangs mainly that kind are ok. Theyre classics. But if people ment from like 90s to the 2005ish it must be a joke.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Ford has kept the Mustang in the racing mix and there are cars you can purchase which are not street legal from Ford. They are strictly racing. The CobraJet and the Boss are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Of course you can make a street legal Boss race ready but it's a lot of work and money. Hard to get one.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
cowboyspride1980;4652931 said:
GT40 is amazinggg

I still keep my SCCA license and I get blurbs from here and there because of that. Got an email the other day that the number one chassis GT40 of the four in that series (smaller engine) has been restored and is going to auction. They're expecting up to a $5 million for it.

cowboyspride1980

Reaction score
jobberone;4652942 said:
I still keep my SCCA license and I get blurbs from here and there because of that. Got an email the other day that the number one chassis GT40 of the four in that series (smaller engine) has been restored and is going to auction. They're expecting up to a $5 million for it.

yeah i heard that new chassis finally came out of the woodwork

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
cowboyspride1980;4652954 said:
yeah i heard that new chassis finally came out of the woodwork

Don't know who had it or where it's been. It won one race and it was used in that Steve McQueen movie at LeMans. Long time ago you could buy used up race cars for a dime. Now anything with any kind of history is golden.

cowboyspride1980

Reaction score
jobberone;4652961 said:
Don't know who had it or where it's been. It won one race and it was used in that Steve McQueen movie at LeMans. Long time ago you could buy used up race cars for a dime. Now anything with any kind of history is golden.

i love that steve mcqueen movie

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
It is my all time favorite car movie. The engine sounds and racing sequences cannot be matched.