When is the last time you said, great off season?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yes. There is so much winning in this organization to justify that never saying “good offseason” has somebow been the wrong opinion. What a stupid post
The chiefs won the SB... boy they had an amazing offseason last year....... smh

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I thought last year was one of the better off-seasons we’ve had in years.

The trades for Brandin Cooks and Stephon Gilmore and the new contract extension for Zack Martin seemed more like an off-season where the focus was winning now. Had there been a couple more FA signings and if the 2023 draft been more immediately impactful, it would have been a great off-season. But it was better than most the last decade.

Last off-season wasn’t as aggressive as many fans would have liked, but for this front office it was more aggressive than usual. But sadly, our FO is still using an ancient model of re-tooling their roster. NFL Teams winning multiple playoff games these days are built with a combination of good drafts, smart but selective free agent signings, and flexible long term cap management.

This offseason so far has been a head scratcher by any metric.
Name me several of those teams you are mentioning that are winning multiple playoff games these days. Ill look into their offseason moves to better understand how iots done.

Im gonna suspect those teams have very good QBs.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Apparently the problem here is you don't get what a good or bad offseason looks like because fans don't get to do that here I've already seen them straight up say things like historically bad offseason you keep saying these are bad offseasons and somehow we were apparently won 36 games two division titles going to the playoffs three straight years you can't do that if you're having bad offseason what fans want and what the team does when they don't match fans say it's a bad offseason that's your problem not the front office..

Again show me the Kansas City Chiefs last three offseasons and show me where they're doing all this ridiculous all in high risk big time free agent acquisitions and stacking their teams with all the best names???

Literally just cause two or three teams decide to do it that way they try to gobble up all the big names make some fancy trades they are not ending up with the trophy yes it's nice for the fans to get the names that they want in the draft and in the offseason there are hundreds of great players they may not be elite they may not carry the big names they're still left in free agency they're available for trades you're saying this front office doesn't know what they're doing and they're not having good all seasons that's an opinion because on the field they're top 6 team..

So yes I'm calling the fan base out your opinions do not matter this is a very experienced front office a very experienced coaching staff and they literally are doing their jobs every offseason to field the best team with the parameters of the salary cap and all the other things they're tampered with you know overcoming injuries and whatnot.. Yet this fanbase has an ego that they think because it didn't go their way on their timeline like this has already been declared a bad offseason with five months left to go literally March 14th take a look at your calendar Yup it's April 5th how many weeks is that 2 now in week 3 of free agency with five months ahead of us I'd say the offseason just getting started it is not over..

I'm gonna say this for the last time the last three years these fan base collectively has declared the offseasons bad and yet somehow we managed to beat the Philadelphia Eagles twice for the division and they're supposed to be the most aggressive players in the offseason and where's somehow beating him doing nothing like not knowing what they're doing early playoff exits happen to all teams no matter how aggressive they are by the way you do realize in our division that the giants and the Commanders are should say the commanders have been more aggressive they spent more money in free agency than the rest of the division how does that help them?/​
well fans need to do is stop trying to be nostradamus stop trying to be something they are not you are not professionals you do not know anything except what you learn online what you think you see with your eyes and hear with your ears that doesn't make you a professional the professionals rely at the start they reside in the front office there are hundre.... 1200 people that work for the dallas Cowboys.. There are literally more scouts and more layers of management and people working hard behind the scenes than just the mouthpiece you don't like just because you don't like Jerry and Steven doesn't mean they don't have enough professionals to help them build a team you all think the team should be built already that's your problem but the results are just that a top six team in the league is not a bad front office it isn't even a bad year it could be so much worse we could be the team that never makes the playoffs and that struggle to get the 500..​
Here's an attempt at a concise response:

Again, the FO isn't trash, but they're actions show that they are not budging from their team building philosophy, and as such are doomed to the status quo of 12 win seasons and early playoff exits as a ceiling.

The Eagles went to the super bowl with a contrasting philosophy, and they did it without the vast majority of their super bowl winning roster from just 5 years prior.

The Chiefs are a bad comparison for the rest of the league because of Mahomes.

You're right in a sense-- it is my problem that I'm not content with the Cowboys' results. And if you are, that's entirely your business, too.

Big_D

Reaction score
What qualifies as a great offseason around here if they're not getting the results?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Name me several of those teams you are mentioning that are winning multiple playoff games these days. Ill look into their offseason moves to better understand how iots done.

Here’s one example- Detroit- (QB Jared Goff who is good, not great much like Dak) They won two playoff games last year and made it to an NFC championship game- something we haven’t done in one year since ‘95. Led by their young GM Brad Holmes, the lions have been aggressive and it’s paid off.Here are some of their off-season moves last 2 years to get to where they are.
  • Picked up two starters on offense in FA last year- RB David Montgomery and OL Graham Glasgow
  • Picked up 9 FAs last off-season, most were big contributors.
  • Had an outstanding draft last two seasons including DE Aidan Hutchinson, TE Sam LaPorta, LB Jack Campbell, and RB Jamir Gibbs- all starting or big contributors.
It takes all three phases of roster building to build a team that can win multiple playoff games- some key FAs, a good draft that has immediate impact, and wise cap management.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Here’s one example- Detroit- (QB Jared Goff who is good, not great much like Dak) They won two playoff games last year and made it to an NFC championship game- something we haven’t done in one year since ‘95. Led by their young GM Brad Holmes, the lions have been aggressive and it’s paid off.Here are some of their off-season moves last 2 years to get to where they are.
  • Picked up two starters on offense in FA last year- RB David Montgomery and OL Graham Glasgow
  • Had an outstanding draft last two seasons including DE Aidan Hutchinson, TE Sam LaPorta, LB Jack Campbell, and RB Jamir Gibbs- all starting or big contributors.
It takes all three phases of roster building to build a team that can win multiple playoff games- some key FAs, a good draft that has immediate impact, and wise cap management.
Detroit? You must be kidding. The door mat of the league for what, 50 years? They have 1 good season and we are supposed to follow their example? Cmon

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Detroit? You must be kidding. The door mat of the league for what, 50 years? They have 1 good season and we are supposed to follow their example? Cmon
What example would you suggest we follow?

And if think we’re only an Elite QB away then why hasn't our ownership seen that and tried to pursue or draft one?

I’m not sure why you are so sold on what this ownership is doing? Please explain.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I say it all the time.

Oh, you meant about this team. Can't remember that far back.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lions are a great example especially without an Elite QB.

The bigger point to make is at least these other teams have a greater opportunity to finally get it right by hiring the right person while with our leadership are stuck in a perpetual state of mediocrity or whatever you want to call it.

And I don’t see anyone else following our method of leadership.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes. There is so much winning in this organization to justify that never saying “good offseason” has somebow been the wrong opinion. What a stupid post
It’s really difficult for me to grasp how any Diehard fan could not provide criticism and cynism towards our leadership and organization this era.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Honestly going into last off season I thought we was a good WR and CB away from being dominant. So when they traded for Gilmore and Cooks, and resigned the guys I wanted them to resign I was pretty excited.
I with you buddy, I thought the same thing. Thought both were sneaky good trades.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

If it is all about the QB then why hasn’t our ownership seen we don’t have a great enough QB for deeper runs and success in the playoffs?

The Chiefs had a playoff contender with Smith but they still used a 1st round pick on a QB.

Perhaps the greatest mismanagement from our leadership is not pursuing another QB and accepting ours was good enough.

That also worked for the Rams a couple years ago. And the Bucs too. Might still work for the Jets. Just pursuing a better QB.

There’s several models out there to follow other than ours this era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Again, the FO isn't trash, but they're actions show that they are not budging from their team building philosophy, and as such are doomed to the status quo of 12 win seasons and early playoff exits as a ceiling.

The Eagles went to the super bowl with a contrasting philosophy, and they did it without the vast majority of their super bowl winning roster from just 5 years prior.

You're right in a sense-- it is my problem that I'm not content with the Cowboys' results. And if you are, that's entirely your business, too.
The level of success the Cowboys are having this era is enough for some fans to buy-in to. Jethro & Son are so pleased there’s so many buying their hype.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Whats the point of my post? to say relax. You cant judge any off season in April. Yea, yea, I know, but its been 735 years since they have done anything in the playoffs and blah blah blah.
Uhm, ok. That's basically the major point of the so called "haters". If that's just Blabla for you, then why even start this thread.

We haven't done anything for ages, so April was a good indicator for August.

Then again IF the strategy is to let Dak play out his last year and the let him go then it would be stupid to trade for quality now. Wait it out, use your draft picks to chose and develop guys for the 25 season and it all makes sense.

But since nobody knows what the FO is up to (do they know?) it's business as usual as far as our off seasons go. So while I am relaxed I don't expect anything great from them either.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They’ve accomplished more in the playoffs than we have this century, lol. Would I trade rosters, GM and HC with the lions right now? Yes I would. In a heartbeat.

Reid you asked for examples of teams that have been built well and have won multiple playoff games in a season. I just listed one (which took some research I might add) but there are others. You don't have to agree but you can’t say “no one wins multiple playoff games in a season without an elite QB”.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well said.