"When It Mattered Most Tony Romo Delivered" - John Lynch

khiladi

Reaction score
They got burned by it couple times, but for the most part they handled it all right. That smoke route to Dez, for one. I do agree tho, that they could use more hot route plays in their repertoire.

Most part? That was one time they handled it right. That whole last series, the Commanders didn't blitz at all except for that smoke screen, if it was one. I can't remember.

The 3rd and nine, where Romo hit Dez for a TD, the Defense broke free. If not for Romo spinning out of it, another blown play. We blew a lead, going down two scores, cause we couldn't handle the blitz.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Most part? That was one time they handled it right. The 3rd and nine, where Romo hit Dez, the Defense broke free. If not for Romo spinning out of it, another blown play. We blew a lead, going down two scores, cause we couldn't handle the blitz.

If you're able to go back and watch the game again, you'll see plenty of times when we picked it up well enough to make a play. At least one of those sacks, Romo went down way too easily.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Most part? That was one time they handled it right. That whole last series, the Commanders didn't blitz at all except for that smoke screen, if it was one. I can't remember.

The 3rd and nine, where Romo hit Dez for a TD, the Defense broke free. If not for Romo spinning out of it, another blown play. We blew a lead, going down two scores, cause we couldn't handle the blitz.

And that is why Romo is so important to this team. He can escape and do some amazing things. Plus, when he cannot escape, at least this year he is not trying to do to much, he just takes the sack without a fumble.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
If you're able to go back and watch the game again, you'll see plenty of times when we picked it up well enough to make a play. At least one of those sacks, Romo went down way too easily.

As he should have! You want him to challenge a big growling dude trying to take his head off?

khiladi

Reaction score

Sorry, 226 total yards passing, eight seven yards on the last drive, meaning effectively a third of the yardage on a drive where the Skins played conservative. 4-10 on 3rd down conversions when the Commanders blitzed primarily, one of those the TD I referred to. No, we didn't.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
As he should have! You want him to challenge a big growling dude trying to take his head off?

That's not the play I was referring to. It was the where Meriweather came from the outside and barely got a hand on Romo before he went down. They sent at least 7 on the pllay, and the pocket was collapsing, but it looked like he could have gotten it off. I don't mean to nitpick, because he was a little beat up going into the game, and he's usually saving the OL with his escapability. And we do still have some trouble with those inside blitzes, but I think it's more based on having a C and 2 G's that aren't yet all that good in pass protection.

khiladi

Reaction score
Commanders controlled the clock by ten minutes, and we had only one more drive than them. Nothing impressive about this win, other than talent overcoming incompetence in our coaching.

khiladi

Reaction score
That's not the play I was referring to. It was the where Meriweather came from the outside and barely got a hand on Romo before he went down. They sent at least 7 on the pllay, and the pocket was collapsing, but it looked like he could have gotten it off. I don't mean to nitpick, because he was a little beat up going into the game, and he's usually saving the OL with his escapability. And we do still have some trouble with those inside blitzes, but I think it's more based on having a C and 2 G's that aren't yet all that good in pass protection.

Yet, our OL held the Commanders off quite easily when pass protecting outside the blitz. Even the read in the first, where the Commanders overloaded the right side and Witten was a FB, they didn't account for the extra blitz.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Sorry, 226 total yards passing, eight seven yards on the last drive, meaning effectively a third of the yardage on a drive where the Skins played conservative. No, we didn't.

So because we didn't throw for many yards, it was all because we couldn't pick up a blitz? We're the two TOs due to not being able to pick up a blitz? Your cause and effect doesn't work there. We picked up 11 first downs passing the ball. Romo completed almost 2/3 of his passes, 8 yards/pass, and was only sacked twice, despite being gimpy for a chunk of the game.

Coy

Reaction score
Haters "against a 3 team win" "not do or die" "he nearly cost us with the Int"
I say, way to go Tony, heck of a game, heck of a clutch win in a must win game.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Dude, you should not dog the offensive line this year! They have been doing a pretty damn good job this year.

Murray would not have the yards he has this year. The first back since how long to surpass 1000 yards?

Did you watch that Fredbeard guy? Many times he made his block and went to the second level and took out a linebacker! Did you see Tyron protect Romo's blindside? Nobody came close to Romo from that side.

Up the middle blitzes is where Romo got into trouble, but, again, Romo actually made some great plays and made a blitzer or two eat their socks to make a play.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Yet, our OL held the Commanders off quite easily when pass protecting outside the blitz. Even the read in the first, where the Commanders overloaded the right side and Witten was a FB, they didn't account for the extra blitz.

Sounds like you're contradicting yourself...again. They held it off easily, but didn't account for the extra blitzer? They kept 8 in to block on that pllay, and only sent two out. Meriweather had to come from all the way outside, and only got a hand on Romo, and he went down.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Dude, you should not dog the offensive line this year! They have been doing a pretty damn good job this year.

Murray would not have the yards he has this year. The first back since how long to surpass 1000 yards?

Did you watch that Fredbeard guy? Many times he made his block and went to the second level and took out a linebacker! Did you see Tyron protect Romo's blindside? Nobody came close to Romo from that side.

Up the middle blitzes is where Romo got into trouble, but, again, Romo actually made some great plays and made a blitzer or two eat their socks to make a play.

I'm not ripping on them. They've been much better this year, especially in the run, but they're still somewhat weak at times in the middle against the pass. Not trying to hate, just saying they still have a ways to go in that area.

khiladi

Reaction score
So because we didn't throw for many yards, it was all because we couldn't pick up a blitz? We're the two TOs due to not being able to pick up a blitz? Your cause and effect doesn't work there. We picked up 11 first downs passing the ball. Romo completed almost 2/3 of his passes, 8 yards/pass, and was only sacked twice, despite being gimpy for a chunk of the game.

No, im saying you claimed we picked up the blitz well. We only threw for less then 120 yards against a sucky secondary until the last drive when the Commanders went conservative. If we were picking up the blitz well, how come we only threw for 120 yards until the Commanders went conservative?

BTW, romo was 17/27... That 2/3 you claim as an example of some impressive stats against the blitz is a joke. We were 4/10 on third.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Someone tell Ed Werder he can stop with his 'breaking' news nonsense. No one cares right now. Another one for butthurt Ed Werder. He was so hoping we would lose today. Sorry Ed.

What? Why would you take offense to that tweet?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I'm not ripping on them. They've been much better this year, especially in the run, but they're still somewhat weak at times in the middle against the pass. Not trying to hate, just saying they still have a ways to go in that area.

I remember the start of the season how bad the offensive line was going to be. I'm pretty surprised they are doing the job they are doing!