Where are the White RB's?

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Tass said:
Have you ever been to a black church service? Don't tell me that those people don't get more emotional/fervent than their white counterparts.

LOL...and notice how no umbrage was taken at the 'slow white people' comment. heh heh heh...

Now this is my area of expertise: I am a member of a predominantly white congregation. I'm afraid to move in my seat for fear the ruffling of my dress will cause a ruckus ;) . But I'm there for the truth & the work. Every opportunity I get, I attend special gatherings (lectureships, gospel meeting, etc.) conducted by predominantly black congregations. They express themselves more freely. Same truth but different response. It's not based on emotions (which most whites believe). It's just the difference in the way the races and people express themselves. They don't feel ashamed or wrong to have a good time in the Lord.

I was in Atlanta this past weekend for this exact same reason. Not everyone at the predominantly black gathering felt the need to respond to the preacher or clap their hands during the singing. But everyone at the predominantly white congregation respond basically the same way - not at all.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Now I know you're kidding. "White" Pentecostal services are pretty lively as well.

Those are the exception to the norm, not the norm.

Of course, the idea any race is more "emotional" (inherently, as opposed to culturally sanctioned expression of emotion)

I didn't say it was inherent. It may well be cultural. Whatever the reason is, it IS.

This was the fundamental rationale for slavery, and the core of the ideology of racism.

Slavery was a worldwide phenomenon and not merely limited to black folks. As it pertains to our country, though, it was cheap labor sold to us by Africans. I'm not condoning it, that's just how it was. Racism is one race believing that their race is superior to all others. Just because I believe most black folks are more emotional than most white folks doesn't make me a racist. Heck, sometimes being emotional is a GOOD thing...just not in the 4th quarter with 3 minutes left and you're down by 10. :)

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:
They express themselves more freely. Same truth but different response. It's not based on emotions.

Expressing oneself more freely = Being more emotional.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:
Now this is my area of expertise: I am a member of a predominantly white congregation. I'm afraid to move in my seat for fear the ruffling of my dress will cause a ruckus ;) . But I'm there for the truth & the work. Every opportunity I get, I attend special gatherings (lectureships, gospel meeting, etc.) conducted by predominantly black congregations. They express themselves more freely. Same truth but different response. It's not based on emotions (which most whites believe). It's just the difference in the way the races and people express themselves. They don't feel ashamed or wrong to have a good time in the Lord.

I was in Atlanta this past weekend for this exact same reason. Not everyone at the predominantly black gathering felt the need to respond to the preacher or clap their hands during the singing. But everyone at the predominantly white congregation respond basically the same way - not at all.

It has to do with the denomination, and the tradition of the services. Not race, and probably not even culture. A predominantly black congregation of Catholics tends to demonstrate the same level of outward emotion at a service as a predominanthy white parish. Denominations differ as to the degree of active participation.

Are there cultural differences in the expression of emotion. Of course. Just travel to Europe and compare the northern and southern countries, tho "national character" is certainly overblow too. Some cultures allow more expression of public emotion, some less.

But there has never been an ounce of evidence that one race possesses more emotionality, or rationality than another. We are simply not that different.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Tass said:
Just because I believe most black folks are more emotional than most white folks doesn't make me a racist. Heck, sometimes being emotional is a GOOD thing...just not in the 4th quarter with 3 minutes left and you're down by 10. :)

I respect your position. I don't believe your view makes you racist. I believe a better term is blacks are more expressive (generally) than whites. This in no way means all. No group is all anything. But a percentage can be determined.

Eddie

Reaction score
Let me chime in on the "expression" issue. Being Asian-American, I can tell you that Asians are NOT allowed to express themselves. I still don't know why. Asians are trained early on to NEVER question their parents, and to be humble and "eat" suffering.

Soldiers who come home from from LONG tours of duty are NOT welcomed by hugs and kisses from parents and loved ones. They're given courteous bows of humility. Imagine coming home after being away for a year and having your mother bow to you??? That's some serious LACK of expression.

Did you see Yao Ming's parents' expressions when they found out he was the TOP draft pick in the NBA lottery? His mom nodded her head, and his dad gave him a delayed and forced high-five.

Compare that to the expressions of the parents of Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony. They broke down in happiness and tears of joy.

I don't know about church congretions, but living in NYC I do know the groups who tend to express themselves most freely are the Hispanics and the African Americans. I wish it was a trait Asian Americans would adapt as well.

While I don't know if it means one group is more "emotional" than another, but I do know certain cultures preclude themselves from being emotional or showing emotion.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:

You must be referring to us good ol' Southern Baptists... ;)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Tass said:
Those are the exception to the norm, not the norm.

No they are not. Certain fundamentalist denominations, whether the congregations are white or black or Hispanic, are very participatory. Others have rituals which are very sedate.

I didn't say it was inherent. It may well be cultural. Whatever the reason is, it IS.

That's good. But you'd still be hard pressed to prove "most black dudes" are too emotional to play QB. That was outrageous even in a cultural context..

Slavery was a worldwide phenomenon and not merely limited to black folks. As it pertains to our country, though, it was cheap labor sold to us by Africans. I'm not condoning it, that's just how it was. Racism is one race believing that their race is superior to all others. Just because I believe most black folks are more emotional than most white folks doesn't make me a racist. Heck, sometimes being emotional is a GOOD thing...just not in the 4th quarter with 3 minutes left and you're down by 10. :)

I don't have time to get into how slavery in this country, based on color, was different from the slavery that existed for mostof human history, which was based on warring people's enslavement of a conquered tribe/nation, and not race related, but the slavery of Africans in the west WAS unique, as it was the first time folks were enlaved merely because they had a darker colored skin. The rationale for this was they were inferior - less intelligent and more emotional than whites. The "white man's burden" was to help the inferiors, to "develop" them as far as their limited capacities could go. This was the ideology of racism, the "intellectual" underpinning of the economic institution of slavery, and which unfortunately, still resounds today. In this very thread.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
It has to do with the denomination, and the tradition of the services. Not race, and probably not even culture.

I don't worship in a denomination. I'm talking about different congregations within the same church. Not different denominations. In the church of Christ (in which I am a member) we all believe, teach, speak, and follow the same thing. Tradition may come into play but, believe me, the only time their is a obvious difference is between the predominantly black & white congregations. Most people in the church hate to hear the term "black church & white church". But, they may as well face reality. I'm talking about something I know and live every day of my life.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Btw, Tass, there is something you might want to keep in mind about that 4th down scenario, and that is that we all know how to move in and out of the varying cultural parameters in our melting pot society. Especially those coming from a minority culture - learn quickly how to exist in more than one, for survival's sake. Cultural transitioning is a way of life for anyone who leaves his own backyard.

Vinnie T might come from an Italian-American background which was much more "expressive" and allowing of displays of emotiona than a QB from a different ethnicity. But he certainly is able, in the setting of a football game, to act and react with as much cool, calm, and consideration as he has to. Joe Montana managed to, too. Italian-American QBs are not condemned to fiery displays of temper on the field, are they?

Culture is not a prison, or a set of constraints. The concept of culture today is not limiting to one way of acting. That certainly includes a black QB's ability to act "appropriately" in a fourth qtr situation.

crazylegs

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
No they are not. Certain fundamentalist denominations, whether the congregations are white or black or Hispanic, are very participatory. Others have rituals which are very sedate.

That's good. But you'd still be hard pressed to prove "most black dudes" are too emotional to play QB. That was outrageous even in a cultural context..

I don't have time to get into how slavery in this country, based on color, was different from the slavery that existed for mostof human history, which was based on warring people's enslavement of a conquered tribe/nation, and not race related, but the slavery of Africans in the west WAS unique, as it was the first time folks were enlaved merely because they had a darker colored skin. The rationale for this was they were inferior - less intelligent and more emotional than whites. The "white man's burden" was to help the inferiors, to "develop" them as far as their limited capacities could go. This was the ideology of racism, the "intellectual" underpinning of the economic institution of slavery, and which unfortunately, still resounds today. In this very thread.

OK you're sold on your own beliefs, good for you! Abet long in the tooth

You might consider moving the product to another part of the town thou, it's becoming a bit much even for a lunatic like me.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
OK you're sold on your own beliefs, good for you! Abet long in the tooth

You might consider moving the product to another part of the town thou, it's becoming a bit much even for a lunatic like me.
It's long-winded, not long in the tooth.

And you might consider moving, but I'm not considering moving my "product" anywhere. You don't have to read what you don't agree with, but censorship does not reign here. :eek:

Btw, this thread got moved because it was going socio-political, as threads of this type inevitably do. This is the "off topc" zone, where this type commentary belongs.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Btw, Tass, there is something you might want to keep in mind about that 4th down scenario, and that is that we all know how to move in and out of the varying cultural parameters in our melting pot society. Especially those coming from a minority culture - learn quickly how to exist in more than one, for survival's sake. Cultural transitioning is a way of life for anyone who leaves his own backyard.

Vinnie T might come from an Italian-American background which was much more "expressive" and allowing of displays of emotiona than a QB from a different ethnicity. But he certainly is able, in the setting of a football game, to act and react with as much cool, calm, and consideration as he has to. Joe Montana managed to, too. Italian-American QBs are not condemned to fiery displays of temper on the field, are they?

Culture is not a prison, or a set of constraints. The concept of culture today is not limiting to one way of acting. That certainly includes a black QB's ability to act "appropriately" in a fourth qtr situation.

God job. Excellent analogy with Vinny.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:
God job. Excellent analogy with Vinny.
Actually, as a fellow "Italian-American" (tho not "full blooded" like VT), I've always secretly yearned to see Vin go Tony Soprano on somebody. ANYBODY. Just once. LOL

I mean Tuna, who is another half Ital-Amer, is so much more Jersey badda bing than VT. :p

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Actually, as a fellow "Italian-American" (tho not "full blooded" like VT), I've always secretly yearned to see Vin go Tony Soprano on somebody. ANYBODY. Just once. LOL

I mean Tuna, who is another half Ital-Amer, is so much more Jersey badda bing than VT. :p

Have you seen this year's Last Comic Standing? There's this comic named Tammy Pescatelli (sp) who I love. She is Italian to the bone.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:
Have you seen this year's Last Comic Standing? There's this comic named Tammy Pescatelli (sp) who I love. She is Italian to the bone.

I hated she got voted off... I didn't realize there were other comics on there til she left...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:
I've never seen that show, is it any good?

What is it ,an American Idol for comics? (I've yet to check that one out either, but I know there is some judge named Simon who makes a dressing down from Tuna seem a treat)

crazylegs

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
It's long-winded, not long in the tooth.

And you might consider moving, but I'm not considering moving my "product" anywhere. You don't have to read what you don't agree with, but censorship does not reign here. :eek:

Btw, this thread got moved because it was going socio-political, as threads of this type inevitably do. This is the "off topc" zone, where this type commentary belongs.

"It's long-winded, not long in the tooth. "

No it's long in the tooth, if you don't understand..well you never will.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I've never seen that show, is it any good?

What is it ,an American Idol for comics?

Yes, basically. But these people are professionals. Just not household names. They do standup for a living. People who like standup comedy recognize most of them.