Where does Dez rank in the all time great lists amongst cowboys WRs

Ekspozed

Reaction score
I figured I would include reasons:

Michael Irvin - Passionate, fearless, hard worker, and his desire to win was unmatched. Loved how he said he would cry because the Cowboys were losers when he first got to Dallas, and guys were saying don't worry because they still were going to pick up their checks on Monday. Love how he "ratted" on guys who didn't belong on the team when Jimmy Johnson became coach. "He doesn't want to win, and he doesn't want to win. He's gotta go."
Loved how he wanted the ball in crunch time and how he explained that all players don't want to be the man because they fear failing.
Always wanted the ball in his hands. Knew what routes to run and was an inspirational leader on the sideline. Even Aikman said he could close his eyes, throw the ball and know Michael would be there.

Bob Hayes - the fastest man to play the game and the "creator" of the zone defense. ;)

Drew Pearson - Mr. Clutch. He always found a way to get open. Staubach's favorite target. Hated in Minnesota to this day. :laugh:

Terrell Owens - even though I didn't want him on the team, no one can dispute his work ethic. And he was one of the best downfield blocking wide receivers in league history. Brought excitement to the game with his popcorn stunts. All great receivers are selfish, but his type of selfishness - unlike Irvin's - tore teams apart, which is why three got rid of him before his talents diminished.

Dez Bryant - Best "go-up-and-get-it" receiver in Cowboys history. Passionate but didn't have the credentials like Irvin did, so when he started demanding the ball, it became more irritating than earnest. His inability to adjust to the game along with his built-in receiver selfishness Garrett took the wrong way led to his early departure.

Tony Hill - Almost the forgotten receiver opposite Drew Pearson, but Hill had his big moments. Probably would have had more stats if he played in an era of the passing game.

Alvin Harper - Had some of the biggest moments in the biggest games. What Cowboys fan can forget "The Catch 2" in the 93 NFC Championship Game. But he thrived more because of his height and the weapons around him than his overall talent. Disappeared when he left Dallas for Tampa Bay.
So Dez is selfish for wanting to win, wanting the ball when it matters, but Mike is praised for it.

It's only good passion if you have sbs I guess.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So Dez is selfish for wanting to win, wanting the ball when it matters, but Mike is praised for it.

It's only good passion if you have sbs I guess.

Everyone isn't treated the same.
Some people can get away with it, some people can't.
I didn't make the rules. I just note them when I see them.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Anybody putting dez over TO is smoking crack

And yes I'm talking cowboys version TO
sorry TO gets a minus because hes not a homegrown Cowboy and was here a short time he loses points and slips on the list,

my list similar to others. dez for sure belongs top 5 and that good most see that.

Shane612

Reaction score
Difficult to compare players from different eras.
Heck, Lance Alworth may have been better than anyone from the 90s on.
Drew Person may have been the best, as far as we know.
WRs from the 60s and the 70s were allowed to be pushed, tugged and tackled all the way until the ball was released.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
TO was getting outproduced by Jason Witten :laugh:
That never happened though. :rolleyes: TO was double digit TDs with a inexperienced Romo. Imagine him with prime Romo. But ima let yall cook. You still think CD better than Coop lol. As the young folks say......stop the cap

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dez was 1 if the best back shoulder receivers in the league in his time with the cowboys.

Him and Romo had something there.

Who knows, if they rule it a catch maybe people think more highly of Dez and Romo.

Romo and Dez had a dominant thing going. You could cover Dez like a blanket, but Romo was going to give Dez a shot at the ball and Dez was just going to outjump and outgrab your guy.

What made the play so powerful was that it was always there. There was nothing most CBs could do against it. Dez wouldn't always come down with it, but it was an always there high percentage play. Other receivers get covered, even great ones. Dez was always open for that throw.

817Gill

Reaction score
Anybody putting dez over TO is smoking crack

And yes I'm talking cowboys version TO
Top 3 all time WR arguably, top 5 definitely. Other than the occasional drops he had zero flaws on the field.

Complete route runner, elite size/speed athlete, alpha on the field, and a WR corners hated to see. I have it as Rice, Owens, Moss personally.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let’s lighten up with the rush/Dak threads? What say you?
Dez shouldn't be on that list...

Dez would have failed with most QBs.
- Romo ran around waiting for Dez to get open and Romo was tolerant of the fact that Dez never ran routes correctly.
- Aikman or Brady would never have tolerated Dez.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Dez shouldn't be on that list...

Dez would have failed with most QBs.
- Romo ran around waiting for Dez to get open and Romo was tolerant of the fact that Dez never ran routes correctly.
- Aikman or Brady would never have tolerated Dez.

There are outliers, instances were what you say happened, but come on man that what you wrote is just silly