Where the Jones' regime has failed the most

ArtClink

Reaction score
I have looked for any evidence of that and cannot find it.
It’s the truth and most fans around in the early 90s know Jimmy put that in his contract. The proof? We won three championships w the dynasty Jimmy built. Jerry has never been capable of building a winner once Jimmys players aged out. The past 29 seasons playoff results speak for themselves.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

What are your thoughts? Where have the Joneses failed you the most?
The iconic teams always have gotten more attention by frenzied fans and media. The Cowboys are one of those teams. We finally are building the necessary depth in the trenches and refortifying the linebacker group with more brutish, strong willed players. I shift most of our post season failures on our executive management and ownership particularly Jerry and Stephen who lack objectivity and accountability because the Cowboys are a family owned franchise of the wrong kind.

kskboys

Reaction score
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

Nope. The biggest problem is a horrific inability to evaluate talent. That is actually what you're seeing when you think it's a lack of mental toughness and physicality.

Know what you need for mental toughness and physicality? The right players. The Jones do not have the ability to select that talent.

Mental toughness and physicality does you absolutely no good if you are being owned because the player across from you is better than you.

It's talent acquisition in the right areas that is the biggest problem. We get owned on the LOS on a regular basis.

kskboys

Reaction score
My thoughts are that I’m sick and tired of all the critics. Every year is a new year. Quit whining about the past and look forward to the future. If you can’t do that, fine. Just don’t come here daily and *****.
Off topic.

If you're not interested in a topic, why do you insist on perusing that topic w/ toxic remarks?

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Lance is 3rd overall pick in 2021.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It’s the truth and most fans around in the early 90s know Jimmy put that in his contract. The proof? We won three championships w the dynasty Jimmy built. Jerry has never been capable of building a winner once Jimmys players aged out. The past 29 seasons playoff results speak for themselves.
That is not proof. That is just you applying credit.

I have proven from Jimmy's own mouth he thought it was a verbal agreement.

29 seasons ago we won a Lombardi. You need to adjust your gratuitous biasing.

silver

Reaction score

Jerry was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple. The fact that he thinks he deserves equal credit for building the 90's team with Jimmy is what has flawed this team since Jimmy left. Dude thinks he's the smartest one in the building. Results point to a mediocre GM performance. Not bad but certainly not Championship good as a GM. If anything describes Jerry is after posting three 8-8 records in years 11, 12 & 13 he asked the fans: "Aren't you entertained?" So frustrating for us fans.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nope. The biggest problem is a horrific inability to evaluate talent. That is actually what you're seeing when you think it's a lack of mental toughness and physicality.

Know what you need for mental toughness and physicality? The right players. The Jones do not have the ability to select that talent.

Mental toughness and physicality does you absolutely no good if you are being owned because the player across from you is better than you.

It's talent acquisition in the right areas that is the biggest problem. We get owned on the LOS on a regular basis.
Well considering you think the hit rate in the second round is 10% and do not take in new evidence I am not surprised.

Meanwhile the Cowboys drafted physical, talented OL and front 7 with their first 4 picks. a 320 lbs dancing bear, a 275 LBs speed to power DE, a 330 lbs mauler, and a 245 lbs ND LB that likes to run and hit.

Your takes are consistently based on make believe.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But in the 70s and under Jimmy, the hc was enpowered to make football decisions, not the owner. The past three decades, the hc has had almost no power so Jerry is making the critical football decisions and it will never work, or hasn't for 29 years.
Nothing that they are doing in 2024 fits the profile of Jerry making the decisions.

Jerry moves would be big free agent signings and/or big trades.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Nothing that they are doing in 2024 fits the profile of Jerry making the decisions.

Jerry moves would be big free agent signings and/or big trades.
Jerry’s fingerprints are all over this team the past 29 seasons. Why do you think we can’t win a div playoff game after 29 seasons? In math terms, Jerry is the only constant over the past 29 seasons and he’s still trying to win a div playoff game using his micromanagement techniques unchanged in 29 seasons.

We’re so bad in the playoffs, in the nfc only Washington is worse. That’s hanging out in the very bottom of the conference. I could care less about regular season wins.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Jerry just hasn't hired the right coach.
lol!! That’s the funniest post I’ve read in years!!

Oh you mean the head coach he will hire next who Jerry will micromanage to death and kill any chance of the next hc being an nfl hc anywhere else? Ask Wade, Dave Campo, Garrett, Switzer, and soon to be Big Mac about if they found another hc job in the NFL after Jerry destroyed their hc careers by hiring their own staff for them, making all the football decisions, and in Wades case, putting a gag order on the hc.

ArtClink

Reaction score
That is not proof. That is just you applying credit.

I have proven from Jimmy's own mouth he thought it was a verbal agreement.

29 seasons ago we won a Lombardi. You need to adjust your gratuitous biasing.
So Jerry is the only constant the past 29 seasons and it’s just bad breaks that we can’t win when it matters? Spock would throw shade at your logic.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The iconic teams always have gotten more attention by frenzied fans and media. The Cowboys are one of those teams. We finally are building the necessary depth in the trenches and refortifying the linebacker group with more brutish, strong willed players. I shift most of our post season failures on our executive management and ownership particularly Jerry and Stephen who lack objectivity and accountability because the Cowboys are a family owned franchise of the wrong kind.
I agree we are an iconic franchise. But we haven’t been an elite franchise for three decades (I know you never said we were elite, just making a point).

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So Jerry is the only constant the past 29 seasons and it’s just bad breaks that we can’t win when it matters? Spock would throw shade at your logic.
Again, we won a Lombardi 29 seasons ago. You want to mindlessly bias to 28 seasons so you can look like you are right.

It's not 'bad breaks' any more than it is all on one individual.

I hold him responsible for giving Lacewell license and drafting for backups as well as looking for sexy VFA to make fans happy and repeatedly getting burned. We don't really do it Jerry's way any more.

I certainly do not hold him responsible for every misfortune and pretend like he is the only thing that has ever been at issue. It reads like trying to cope with a complex issue using a scapegoat.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Again, we won a Lombardi 29 seasons ago. You want to mindlessly bias to 28 seasons so you can look like you are right.

It's not 'bad breaks' any more than it is all on one individual.

I hold him responsible for giving Lacewell license and drafting for backups as well as looking for sexy VFA to make fans happy and repeatedly getting burned. We don't really do it Jerry's way any more.

I certainly do not hold him responsible for every misfortune and pretend like he is the only thing that has ever been at issue. It reads like trying to cope with a complex issue using a scapegoat.
29 seasons without a divisional playoff win is gross incompetence, not all the excuses you cited.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well considering you think the hit rate in the second round is 10% and do not take in new evidence I am not surprised.

Meanwhile the Cowboys drafted physical, talented OL and front 7 with their first 4 picks. a 320 lbs dancing bear, a 275 LBs speed to power DE, a 330 lbs mauler, and a 245 lbs ND LB that likes to run and hit.

Your takes are consistently based on make believe.
Go away, child, you are embarrassing yourself. Find someone else to spat w/.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There are enough problems with the Cowboys organization that are a perennial cause of their woes. Jerry and Stephen run the team with far too little consideration of what's really important for their team to have a team to be strong enough to be true contenders for a Super Bowl bid. Rather than being proactive in the matters of having veteran free agency seriously taken, they prefer to take a route that favors contractual policies that put a priority on veteran third-tier spending that has no chance of getting their team to true SB contention. A legitimate GM wouldn't do that, but Jerry J. wouldn't consider such a notion. He's far set upon being the team's main controller of talent acquisition and vet FA spending. Doing so, he's a failure as a GM to act in such an inadequate manner. He doesn't allow Will McClay to attend to a free run of the GM responsibilities.

Last edited:

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Not purchasing enough cocaine and prostitutes for all skill positions.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Go away, child, you are embarrassing yourself. Find someone else to spat w/.
Does the big timing work in your own head?

You said they cannot evaluate talent. The moves they have made lately have been the draft picks mentioned and the likes of Claiborne, Cooks, Hankins, and Kendrick.

Do you think those players are not talented?