Where the Jones' regime has failed the most

NumOneQB

Reaction score
As always, it comes down to personnel and personnel decisions by the FO. This offseason is a perfect example of the ineptitude. When your job is never on the line you get what we see around here every single offseason.

kskboys

Reaction score
As always, it comes down to personnel and personnel decisions by the FO. This offseason is a perfect example of the ineptitude. When your job is never on the line you get what we see around here every single offseason.
When Jerry's pathetic attempts at building a team fail, he is always completely confused as to what to do next. Dude just doesn't have an NFL brain.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

What are your thoughts? Where have the Joneses failed you the most?
Excellent analysis and I completely agree. McClay has done a really good job with talent acquisition but we are and always have been soft since the day we left Wichita Falls for training camp. It’s like when Apollo Creed pulled Rocky out of the fancy gym and trained him in a workout dungeon.

I would add that another factor is having our GM negotiating Victoria Secret deals for the stadium while other GM’s are scouting a kid at Drexel.

He’s disgraceful.

But again - great post!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jerry signed checks. Jimmy had in his contract that Jimmy had the final say in football matters cause he knew what kind of person Jerry was.

“Jimmy gettin’ upset!” - George Costanza
I've even posted the proof of that several times, and yet the same people keep trying to perpetuate a proven lie as if nobody can google and find that info themselves very easily.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Yes and they delegated power and authority to the football experts. The solution is really just that in a nutshell.
I'm convinced at this point that the only reason Jerry still insists on staying GM is because he doesn't want the fans to be proven right about Jerry the GM. The worst thing that could happen for Jerr's ego is to step back, hire a GM, and then that GM engineers a SB win shortly after, thus proving over 20 years of fan opinion of Jerry the GM being incompetent.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

What are your thoughts? Where have the Joneses failed you the most?
Well...it starts with the hierarchy and how they allow all the coaches have a say in the offense and defense. Case in point....Keller Moore. He could never get his offensive game plan together because too many other coaches had input. You would see a sprinkle of Kellen's offense...then we would see a completely different set...and everyone knows it's McCarthy's offense. We weren't fooling anyone on offense. We are practically telegraphing the plays. That's was just one problem....Another big issue is how players are coddled here...trying to prevent injuries. Which leads to just the opposite effect. Makes this team unprepared because they don't practice @ 100% speed. Come game day...and when it's time to play fast...this team hasn't practiced that way....it's all new...and the timing is off.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I did find:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-03-30-sp-40126-story.html

That means it was a supposed verbal agreement. Jimmy of course had kittens when Jerry traded for Everett.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ry-jones-on-gm-claims-during-super-bowl-runs/

“The time I was with the team, I had complete and total responsibility over the football operation,” he told Horn earlier this week. “That meant personnel, the draft, coaches, including the strength coach. Everything. It was always in my contract. …

“When we signed that first contract, Jerry said, ‘I’ll be in charge of the finances, you’ll be in charge of the football,’ we’ll make history,” Johnson added.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

TheCritic

Reaction score
There were enough quality posts in this thread to make it one of best threads of the offseason. Special thanks to everyone who gave an honest effort. Much appreciated!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ry-jones-on-gm-claims-during-super-bowl-runs/

“The time I was with the team, I had complete and total responsibility over the football operation,” he told Horn earlier this week. “That meant personnel, the draft, coaches, including the strength coach. Everything. It was always in my contract. …

“When we signed that first contract, Jerry said, ‘I’ll be in charge of the finances, you’ll be in charge of the football,’ we’ll make history,” Johnson added.
You guys are arguing that Jimmy had EXCLUSIONARY executive power. You are handwaving at him saying he had executive power.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
My three favorite items in the article:
  1. Mark Heisler saying, "Jones has now fired Tom Landry and lost Johnson, the local equivalent of pulling two heads off of Mt. Rushmore."
  2. Jimmy Johnson's joke on The David Letterman Show.
  3. The key events timeline near the end.
It's a good article. That Jerry tried to take back Jimmy's executive control in the last negotiation was new info to me.