Which concerns you more: RB situation or DT situation?

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Neither, I'd say the concerning part is the front office. Every year this team has some glaring hole on the roster. It can be clear as day to everyone in the world and the 2 morons in the front office ignore it. Every year this happens

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we make the playoffs, which we probably won’t, we will lose AGAIN because we can’t stop the run. We have not been able to stop the run since the Prohibition.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
DT position is more concerning because we have to be able to stop the run and win the battle in the trenches or it will continue to be our downfall in critical games.

Gambit

Reaction score
I don't think they are done with either position. We still have open spots unless there are some UDFAs not been announced yet. But I do think you see a DT brought in and maybe a RB later in camp after giving the ones in the room a chance.

A trade for a RB would not shock me in the slightest.

CB0711

Reaction score
Would Jerry be vindictive enough to purposely not draft/add a decent running back to see if Dak can earn his pay on his own before giving him a big money deal? Almost looks like it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
A lot of talk about our RB situation, but almost as often, it has been mentioned that our DT situation was not addressed adequately in the draft either.

So, just curious, if we assume Zeke gets signed, which one gives you stronger concern?

(a) a RB room featuring Zeke and Dowdle as the two leads, Luepke or Freeman getting the FB/ST role, and Vaughn as the change of pace guy

or

(b) a DT rotation that includes Diggyzoo and Chauncey at 3-tech, with Fehoko theoretically also getting into that mix... and Mazi and a 7th rounder Rogers at 1-Tech...

Oh, and just gonna throw this out there... don't be too surprised if, besides Zeke, we also add another vet FA in a minimum contract named James Lynch.

No kidding, Lynch played DE, and 3-tech, and even a little 1-tech for Minny apparently... but mostly 3-tech... after being drafted by Zimmer and his old team out of Baylor in 2020.

Here's why. Of course, we've lost along the D-line Armstrong, Fowler and Gallimore. Sam Williams gets Armstrong snaps conventionally speaking. Tyrus Wheat gets Fowler's snaps. And Fehoko moves into Gallimore's role.

Then, Kneeland comes into camp penciled-in to Williams old third-string slot, with a decent chance to pull ahead of Wheat before game #1. But other than Durrell Johnson on a futures contract, there's really no one to occupy Wheat's old third-string slot. Enter James Lynch... who, quite possibly, would also pull ahead of Wheat, or perhaps would claim the other 3-tech slot and force Fehoko to compete on the edge with Wheat.

Lynch is coming off a lost season due to an ACL tear in preseason. But every indication is that he should be ready for 2024. Knows Zimmer's defense, and one would assume the two have some affection for each other.

This is a great question. I would like to say both but if I had to pick one I would say RB. DT is a more important position but at least there are a couple guys there. They have nothing at RB and I consider Zeke to be nothing at this point too.

I can’t believe some are glad he is back.

75boyz

Reaction score
They're in a neck and neck race for biggest team position liability.
1a and 1b.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I couldn't care any less about who's at RB. It won't matter with this McCarthy playbook.

The defensive trenches (DTs and LBs) is WAYYYY more alarming, and is much more of dire need...to have a successful defense.

On offense, it's all on Dak and the o-line this coming season. This offense was only ever going to go as far as Dak and Big Mike's playcalling will take us. Hard to trust either of them in the playoffs, but no RB was going to put this McCarthy-led offense over the top.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
RB more of a concern. I think Cowboys and Zimmer might very well pull off a reclamation on Mazi Smith. But I could be wrong.

tm1119

Reaction score
DT hands down. There will be serviceable RBs in the street as teams cut players. There is not nearly as much D Line talent likely to be available.
While this is true…I fear they don’t want to add to RB because they actually think Zeke and Freeman filled the hole. I can buy not drafting a RB because of how the board fell, but not going after any of the top UDFA’s is puzzling.

I can see them for sure adding a cheap DT if available

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I’m by no means a Dak hater but if his cap hit is more than 30m this team is going nowhere. There’s always gonna be a hole somewhere. This year it’s DT and RB.
Unfortunately just his presence on the roster ensures we are going nowhere. We're on the Dak hamster wheel.