Which concerns you more: RB situation or DT situation?

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke looked finished last year although he did score double digit TD's. I can't imagine he has much left.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
DT the biggest issue, I just do not see how you can go into the season with what we have. I just have to believe they will attempt to address it via trade or camp cuts.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
DT the biggest issue, I just do not see how you can go into the season with what we have. I just have to believe they will attempt to address it via trade or camp cuts.
DT or running back. Could it be that the left hand don't know what the right hand is doing. As in the front office.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Zeke looked finished last year
Disagree with this, but I get it that it's the prevailing notion. Watched his 2023 Pats highlights last night. He did not look like 25 yr old Zeke, granted. He did look something like he looked last time he wore blue and silver, though. And if he's sharing the load with a healthy Dowdle (healthy being a relatively new phenomenon *knocks on wood*) and if we see Deuce get a legit opportunity to show he can do in the NFL what he did in the Big 12... I'm okay with that. Not enthusiastic. Just okay. I think we can be adequate-to-good as we sit here today. But/and I'll quickly ascend to enthusiastic as soon as I see Deuce begin to assert himself. I feel like it's quite plausible that if Deuce gets the ball behind our starting O-line, he's going to turn some heads. It's just that, last year, that almost never happened, and so many of his carries were TFLs due to his blockers failures to prevent penetration.

DT the biggest issue, I just do not see how you can go into the season with what we have.
If they do, I'll interpret that as Zimmer having big confidence in Mazi. And I won't be surprised if that's exactly what happens. My inclination is that they'll make one more addition (... see OP).

LysleE

Reaction score
I’m going to say RB; without a consistent, productive run game Dallas will become one-dimensional and defenses will tee-off on Dak and take away CD and Ferguson…leaving Dak with no receivers he trusts…leading to panic throws and subsequently interceptions.
The DL has been ignored by the FO since the post Super Bowl era…and when they have drafted d-linemen they were fitting a square peg and a round hole. They did the same thing with Mazi…one would think they would learn the importance of a good d-line given teams run the ball on the defense with impunity.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The run game problems are more blocking, scheme, and plan/adjustments. If we have addressed it....rbs will be ok. Maybe watch fir a cut somewhere.

Stopping the run will be critical. Im tired of watching parsons chase runners up the field.

erod

Reaction score
DT by far.

RB isn't the issue everyone is making it out to be.

erod

Reaction score
I’m going to say RB; without a consistent, productive run game Dallas will become one-dimensional and defenses will tee-off on Dak and take away CD and Ferguson…leaving Dak with no receivers he trusts…leading to panic throws and subsequently interceptions.
The DL has been ignored by the FO since the post Super Bowl era…and when they have drafted d-linemen they were fitting a square peg and a round hole. They did the same thing with Mazi…one would think they would learn the importance of a good d-line given teams run the ball on the defense with impunity.
That issue is with the offensive line, not the running backs. There was no room to run last year. Adrian Peterson in his prime wouldn't have solved it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DT, easily.
RB can be handled via committee.
I am a big fan of big 12 exes SaRoderick Thompson and Deuce Vaughn as young depth guys.
And I suspect Zeke/Dowdle can get you a combined 800-1K yards.
It isn't pretty but it is workable.
For what they paid last year, they could not run it a lick when it mattered most so even if it is bad it'll be familiar.

J-man

Reaction score
Well if it's not close, then explain to me why we continuously lose in the playoffs because we can't stop the run.
Because they focus on stopping and/or effecting the pass more than the run. That's coaching and scheme more than anything else. It's easy to run on a stunting, get upfield over aggressive front like we play.
I'm hoping Zimmer is gonna change that. I think the Kneeland and Rogers picks are evidence of that.

MikeT22

Reaction score
When we have to hope a player another team cuts can be better than our recent 1st round pick, it’s not good.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree with this, but I get it that it's the prevailing notion. Watched his 2023 Pats highlights last night. He did not look like 25 yr old Zeke, granted. He did look something like he looked last time he wore blue and silver, though. And if he's sharing the load with a healthy Dowdle (healthy being a relatively new phenomenon *knocks on wood*) and if we see Deuce get a legit opportunity to show he can do in the NFL what he did in the Big 12... I'm okay with that. Not enthusiastic. Just okay. I think we can be adequate-to-good as we sit here today. But/and I'll quickly ascend to enthusiastic as soon as I see Deuce begin to assert himself. I feel like it's quite plausible that if Deuce gets the ball behind our starting O-line, he's going to turn some heads. It's just that, last year, that almost never happened, and so many of his carries were TFLs due to his blockers failures to prevent penetration.
I based my comment on watching several games last year, not on any prevailing group think. I'm sure he looked good on a highlights video and I admitted he found the endzone in double digits. That said, I don't see how he can be counted on as a RB1. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
A lot of talk about our RB situation, but almost as often, it has been mentioned that our DT situation was not addressed adequately in the draft either.

So, just curious, if we assume Zeke gets signed, which one gives you stronger concern?

(a) a RB room featuring Zeke and Dowdle as the two leads, Luepke or Freeman getting the FB/ST role, and Vaughn as the change of pace guy

or

(b) a DT rotation that includes Diggyzoo and Chauncey at 3-tech, with Fehoko theoretically also getting into that mix... and Mazi and a 7th rounder Rogers at 1-Tech...

Oh, and just gonna throw this out there... don't be too surprised if, besides Zeke, we also add another vet FA in a minimum contract named James Lynch.

No kidding, Lynch played DE, and 3-tech, and even a little 1-tech for Minny apparently... but mostly 3-tech... after being drafted by Zimmer and his old team out of Baylor in 2020.

Here's why. Of course, we've lost along the D-line Armstrong, Fowler and Gallimore. Sam Williams gets Armstrong snaps conventionally speaking. Tyrus Wheat gets Fowler's snaps. And Fehoko moves into Gallimore's role.

Then, Kneeland comes into camp penciled-in to Williams old third-string slot, with a decent chance to pull ahead of Wheat before game #1. But other than Durrell Johnson on a futures contract, there's really no one to occupy Wheat's old third-string slot. Enter James Lynch... who, quite possibly, would also pull ahead of Wheat, or perhaps would claim the other 3-tech slot and force Fehoko to compete on the edge with Wheat.

Lynch is coming off a lost season due to an ACL tear in preseason. But every indication is that he should be ready for 2024. Knows Zimmer's defense, and one would assume the two have some affection for each other.

DT and defense stopping the run has been the Jonesboys problem for a long time.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because they focus on stopping and/or effecting the pass more than the run. That's coaching and scheme more than anything else. It's easy to run on a stunting, get upfield over aggressive front like we play.
I'm hoping Zimmer is gonna change that. I think the Kneeland and Rogers picks are evidence of that.
I may not agree, but good answer.

NotForLong

Reaction score
A lot of talk about our RB situation, but almost as often, it has been mentioned that our DT situation was not addressed adequately in the draft either.

So, just curious, if we assume Zeke gets signed, which one gives you stronger concern?

(a) a RB room featuring Zeke and Dowdle as the two leads, Luepke or Freeman getting the FB/ST role, and Vaughn as the change of pace guy

or

(b) a DT rotation that includes Diggyzoo and Chauncey at 3-tech, with Fehoko theoretically also getting into that mix... and Mazi and a 7th rounder Rogers at 1-Tech...

Oh, and just gonna throw this out there... don't be too surprised if, besides Zeke, we also add another vet FA in a minimum contract named James Lynch.

No kidding, Lynch played DE, and 3-tech, and even a little 1-tech for Minny apparently... but mostly 3-tech... after being drafted by Zimmer and his old team out of Baylor in 2020.

Here's why. Of course, we've lost along the D-line Armstrong, Fowler and Gallimore. Sam Williams gets Armstrong snaps conventionally speaking. Tyrus Wheat gets Fowler's snaps. And Fehoko moves into Gallimore's role.

Then, Kneeland comes into camp penciled-in to Williams old third-string slot, with a decent chance to pull ahead of Wheat before game #1. But other than Durrell Johnson on a futures contract, there's really no one to occupy Wheat's old third-string slot. Enter James Lynch... who, quite possibly, would also pull ahead of Wheat, or perhaps would claim the other 3-tech slot and force Fehoko to compete on the edge with Wheat.

Lynch is coming off a lost season due to an ACL tear in preseason. But every indication is that he should be ready for 2024. Knows Zimmer's defense, and one would assume the two have some affection for each other.

RB position will be solved once the season is about to start and veteran contracts are trimmed because the new young stud can hold down the fort

Tick tock . . . just an amount of time until we find the 2024 starter

Jumbo075

Reaction score

or

The NFL is just entertainment. Any fan that "worries" about the team is wasting emotional energy. It is certainly interesting to talk about, but after almost 30 years of disappointment, the Cowboys don't merit the emotional energy needed to "worry" about any position. Just enjoy the games, root for the team, and let it go during the offseason - like we used to do back before social media, and the internet gave us the resources to do exhaustive research on prospects, and spend time readying every other fan's "expert" opinion.

I don't know anyone for being interested or being a fan of the team. But it is much more enjoyable to simply assume (I know, I know) that the Cowboys are doing the best they can, and hope for improvement. That way, you can stay positive about the team, and not allow it to drag you down when they fall short - either in off-season maneuvering, or during the games in the Fall and Winter.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
DT.

Look, much as I love Emmitt, Tony and Garrison, et al with the exception of Barry Sanders and maybe Jim Brown, no running back does great without a good line. Emmitt had lots of runs where he was able to make 2-3 yards before having to deal with defenders. His moves, etc. after that is what got him the NFL's all time rushing records. Same with Dorsett.

So regardless of who is the leading rusher, be it Freeman, Zeke, Rico or some other guy (and it would have applied to Benson or whatever running back Dallas could have drafted), if the blocking isn't there, you're not seeing a great rushing attack. That depends on Smith, Martin, Steele and whoever ends up at LT and C. If they do well, then Freeman or whoever will be able to make yards and score tds.

But the DTs are the ones mainly responsible for stopping/containing the run, they have to perform. We know DLaw, Parsons and Odighizuwa can play, the question is what will we see from Mazi and others?