Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I still think the uncertainty with the current state of the NFL and the country may have played a role in not getting a deal done. I think Jerry and stephen were very hesitant to go all in long term,until maybe things simmer down. Its a legit concern. ANY other year,I think this would have been done. This isnt any other year tho.
Other teams stepped up signing their guys. The Chiefs certainly weren’t concerned.

Rayman70

Reaction score
MAYBE Dallas didnt want to be on the hook for all that money and the guarantees until some clarity was had?Just a thought.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Obviously it’s too early for you to begin exploring other options yet. I appreciate your comments and contributing to the thread. Go Cowboys!

Yet some are claiming that he is gone after this year? lol obviously it is too early for that as well. Dak has a season in front of him and his success or failure will play a big part in his future with Dallas or any other team on a mega deal. You think given the talent of weapons Dallas has that Dak can afford to have so so season and another 8-8 year and get paid big? Dallas believes in Dak or else they would not have made the offer they did.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yet some are claiming that he is gone after this year? lol obviously it is too early for that as well. Dak has a season in front of him and his success or failure will play a big part in his future with Dallas or any other team on a mega deal. You think given the talent of weapons Dallas has that Dak can afford to have so so season and another 8-8 year and get paid big? Dallas believes in Dak or else they would not have made the offer they did.
He hasn't failed yet. What makes you think he will now after adding ceedee lamb lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Reports I’ve read haven’t said he’s gone for sure. But much more likely today since we didn’t get a deal done.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He hasn't failed yet. What makes you think he will now after adding ceedee lamb lol.

Your right he has not failed and I hope he does have a great season and leads this team to a SB and then cashes in with a mega deal in Dallas. I'm not against Dak at all. Now if you ask me if Dallas made a fair offer to Dak then I would say yes. Dak would be the 2nd highest paid behind only Mahomes. Asking me today which is the best QB, I would say Mahomes.

cern

Reaction score
The odds of that happening aren’t as likely since the price will be much higher than this year.

Why would our FO be willing to pay several million a year more than this year?
Easy. What will be offered will be based on performance. And i doubt the duration will change from 5 years which gives the fo more flexibility to spread out his cap hit.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Other teams stepped up signing their guys. The Chiefs certainly weren’t concerned.
and btw, ,many experts are aready saying the deal he signed as well as chris jones will hamstring them for years to come and its gonna be hard for them to pay players going forward. Its a real catch 22 when you devote that much cap and money to a couple players. It really limits what a team can do to stay good.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Reports I’ve read haven’t said he’s gone for sure. But much more likely today since we didn’t get a deal done.

what was that you just told me? "Obviously it’s too early for you to begin exploring other options yet" lol I have no doubts if Dak pulls off a great season that Cowboys will once again be making big offers to Dak and with the franchise tag in their back pocket. I would much rather see a longer term deal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
and btw, ,many experts are aready saying the deal he signed as well as chris jones will hamstring them for years to come and its gonna be hard for them to pay players going forward. Its a real catch 22 when you devote that much cap and money to a couple players. It really limits what a team can do to stay good.

With a 10 year deal KC will be able to restructure that contract to free up money. That is the great part of the long term deals for teams. It is much easier to manage a long term deal as opposed to a shorter term deal.

cern

Reaction score
I’m following the local media and press lead that this will most likely be Prescott’s last season with the Cowboys as they’ve decided he doesnt fit into their plans financially .

And will be much more expensive next year. Any big season he has in 2020 will further enable his value and pursuit of another team.

The Cowboys had their shot of resigning Dak and blew it.
That's a very narrow, short sighted pov. One with which i don't agree.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
With a 10 year deal KC will be able to restructure that contract to free up money. That is the great part of the long term deals for teams. It is much easier to manage a long term deal as opposed to a shorter term deal.
Cowboys had their opportunity and blew it this year.

Odds are most covering the Cowboys closely is this will be it for Prescott.

Time for both parties to begin exploring other options.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's a very narrow, short sighted pov. One with which i don't agree.
It’s my nature and instinct to follow the Dallas Cowboy beat writers and local media over the last 6 decades . I understand if you want to align yourself with ownership. Not something I feel comfortable with.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys had their opportunity and blew it this year.

Odds are most covering the Cowboys closely is this will be it for Prescott.

Time for both parties to begin exploring other options.

Based on what? They have the franchise tag they can use in 2021 and with the exclusive he can't negotiate with another team and would cost another team 2 1st rd picks. That is why the exclusive franchise tag was place on him as opposed to the non exclusive franchise tag. there is a difference. Right now only thing on Dak mind should be this upcoming season because the results of his play will go a long way in achieving the deal he would like.

fredp22

Reaction score
If you want to keep him you continue countering offers until he accepts. Or begin by making him an offer he can’t refuse as the local critics were suggesting. Otherwise you risk losing him. That’s how professional sports works. Players have other options. They don’t have to accept the offer.

And that’s how the cookie crumbles . Must be prepared to move on if your not willing to step up to the plate for whatever reasons even if you feel they're fair or justified.

Apparently Jerry made Dak his best offer and it wasn’t enough. Dak wants to look into other options and offers next year. That doesn’t make Dak a bad person.
cant keep countering unless u start low. Jerry came in high to say "we're serious and we want you". 33m yr and 100 guaranteed is more than fair. Again he also gets side offers for being the Dallas Cowboy QB.
Daks done nothing to warrant more or even the amount he was offered. He got greedy. He wants to be highest paid-fine. Lets see how much he enjoys Buffalo or whereever he ends up.
Hell I'd take a little less and be happy because its the Cowboys. If hes that firm on a few million more which is peanuts for this contract fine...enjoy Buffalo

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
It’s my nature and instinct to follow the Dallas Cowboy beat writers and local media over the last 6 decades . I understand if you want to align yourself with ownership. Not something I feel comfortable with.
I align myself with neither. I just go by what actually transpires. I like common sense. Last year after Stephen signed jaylon and collins, he told dak the pie was getting smaller by the day. I said then no deal would be reached. Now that the deal fell through, both sides have a better understanding of what to anticipate for round 2. I think they'll get it done next year. Presupposing dak plays well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I align myself with neither. I just go by what actually transpires. I like common sense. Last year after Stephen signed jaylon and collins, he told dak the pie was getting smaller by the day. I said then no deal would be reached. Now that the deal fell through, both sides have a better understanding of what to anticipate for round 2. I think they'll get it done next year. Presupposing dak plays well.
I’m not close enough to the situation to draw any of my own conclusions. And I certainly don’t trust Jerry or Stephen. There’s a slight chance they could sign Dak next year but it won’t be for less than it could have been this year and why the Cowboys Mgmt are being bashed.