Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Based on what? They have the franchise tag they can use in 2021 and with the exclusive he can't negotiate with another team and would cost another team 2 1st rd picks. That is why the exclusive franchise tag was place on him as opposed to the non exclusive franchise tag. there is a difference. Right now only thing on Dak mind should be this upcoming season because the results of his play will go a long way in achieving the deal he would like.
So , you don’t think the Cowboys will be exploring other potential options or will they be solely tuned in to signing Dak again?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So , you don’t think the Cowboys will be exploring other potential options or will they be solely tuned in to signing Dak again?

I think how they deal will be determined on how Dak plays. I don't think Cowboys have an issue to signing players to top money, the offer they made was indeed top money, if they did not believe in him their offer would not have been near what they put on the table. I think if Dak can go out and produce at a high level and can get this team back to the top that his asking price will be along the lines of Mahomes but if he does not produce at a high level and this team is missing post season then it will be hard to pony up that kind of money given the fact Dallas had paid those other weapons on this offense. Dak wanted a short deal? he got it now 1 year 31 mill ball is in his court and I hope like hell he gets it done and this team is sitting there with a championship in hand.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'm hoping they trade diehardblues to the giants, so he can be reunited with his love interests, maybe that other guy too who was singing the Garrett blues.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think how they deal will be determined on how Dak plays. I don't think Cowboys have an issue to signing players to top money, the offer they made was indeed top money, if they did not believe in him their offer would not have been near what they put on the table. I think if Dak can go out and produce at a high level and can get this team back to the top that his asking price will be along the lines of Mahomes but if he does not produce at a high level and this team is missing post season then it will be hard to pony up that kind of money given the fact Dallas had paid those other weapons on this offense. Dak wanted a short deal? he got it now 1 year 31 mill ball is in his court and I hope like hell he gets it done and this team is sitting there with a championship in hand.
In other words Daks contract is dependent on the success of the team not on his personal performance ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No his personal performance and like it or not it gets tied to team success or failure which is why QB are paid as they are.
Not true at all. Bad teams have the same Salary Cap as good teams and are paid similar. It’s based more on your talent level .

It’s fans who associate the more winning teams with better QB’s which is true sometimes.

The Cowboys didn’t step up to the plate with Dak because of his talent level not the fact the team hadn’t had more success.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not true at all. Bad teams have the same Salary Cap as good teams and are paid similar. It’s based more on your talent level .

It’s fans who associate the more winning teams with better QB’s which is true sometimes.

The Cowboys didn’t step up to the plate with Dak because of his talent level not the fact the team hadn’t had more success.

QB play is a big part in winning or losing. Dak can't play poorly when we are facing top teams, his play matters. I pull for Dak but he is not elite at this stage of his career yet is being offered elite money. It is his choice to not take this deal and I am fine with that but how he plays will determine a lot. When we face top teams is he going to step up and produce to the highest level? Mahomes did and so do other elite QB. Even Aikman could put up stat wise an avg season but when we hit post season his number were much higher and he produced in the big games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
QB play is a big part in winning or losing. Dak can't play poorly when we are facing top teams, his play matters. I pull for Dak but he is not elite at this stage of his career yet is being offered elite money. It is his choice to not take this deal and I am fine with that but how he plays will determine a lot. When we face top teams is he going to step up and produce to the highest level? Mahomes did and so do other elite QB. Even Aikman could put up stat wise an avg season but when we hit post season his number were much higher and he produced in the big games.
Aikman produced highly when he had great teams. Little team success early and late in his career on lesser teams.

Many Elite QB’s aren’t winning championships every year. Only when they have great teams.

It’s not unusual for fans to strictly associate great QB’s with championship teams but that’s not always the case .

It takes a keener eye evaluating great talent on lesser teams but that’s why we have individual awards to recognize talent because it’s not always as visible to the common eye on lesser teams.

Some still only associate greatness with winning.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Aikman produced highly when he had great teams. Little team success early and late in his career on lesser teams.

Many Elite QB’s aren’t winning championships every year. Only when they have great teams.

It’s not unusual for fans to strictly associate great QB’s with championship teams but that’s not always the case .

It takes a keener eye evaluating great talent on lesser teams but that’s why we have individual awards to recognize talent because it’s not always as visible to the common eye on lesser teams

Dak has some great talent around him, one of the best OL in the game, Zeke is one of the best RB in the game. Cooper, Gallup both over 1,000 yards> Fact is look at the top paid QB they were all in post season last year except Dak. I like Dak but he still needs to step up his game and the offer the Cowboys made showed me they believe he can but he is not elite at this stage yet was offered top money despite that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Craig Morton a great example. Never had a winning record at California but was still a 1st round pick .

We see great players drafted every year from dormant teams in college.

And there’s Pro Bowlers and Hall of Famers who never win a championship.

Seems like this generation of casual fans seem to only associate greatness with winning. Unfortunate because they will overlook many great talents.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There's plenty of time between now and 2021 free agency to work out an agreement. The key is gonna be; how much does Dak want to stay in Dallas and how much can we pay while still fielding a contender?

To me, the key is representation. See, CAA has to save face here. They can't settle for less IMO because that sends a bad message for their brand. They caused Dak to lose 30 mil in 2019 and now he's playing on a tag for 4 mil less then what he could have been playing for in 2020, it they play at all, and he has no long term contract. This is not a good look, IMO, for CAA. So it kinda comes down to this. Will Dak keep CAA and France as his representation or will he cut ties and hire new representation? I, personally, don't believe we will see a deal get done if CAA is still in the picture.

JMO

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Anywhere from Staubach, Montana to Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.

Except Brad Johnson never got the elite money nor did Dilfer. The player still has to play at a certain level to get paid as such.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak has some great talent around him, one of the best OL in the game, Zeke is one of the best RB in the game. Cooper, Gallup both over 1,000 yards> Fact is look at the top paid QB they were all in post season last year except Dak. I like Dak but he still needs to step up his game and the offer the Cowboys made showed me they believe he can but he is not elite at this stage yet was offered top money despite that.
Your preaching to the wrong choir. I’m not an ardent Dak supporter. As a matter of fact I’m more of a critic.

My stance on this contract signing is purely about critiquing our ownerships handling of their QB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Your preaching to the wrong choir. I’m not an ardent Dak supporter. As a matter of fact I’m more of a critic.

My stance on this contract signing is purely about critiquing our ownerships handling of their QB.

And I will continue to say they made a very good offer. I don't see anything wrong in how they conducted it. They stuck by their guns on what they felt was in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys. Dak is doing what he feels is best for him. His production this coming season will either increase his value or lessen it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Except Brad Johnson never got the elite money nor did Dilfer. The player still has to play at a certain level to get paid as such.
And I don’t believe they ever had top10 passing stats or a #1 offense. Those championships were won by defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I will continue to say they made a very good offer. I don't see anything wrong in how they conducted it. They stuck by their guns on what they felt was in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys. Dak is doing what he feels is best for him. His production this coming season will either increase his value or lessen it.
That’s fine. I applaud that . But not if your intentions were to get him signed.

And that’s why our Mgmt are being bashed.

You must move off your mound if you truly want to sign your guy. They obviously were more interested in potentially moving on without him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Set aside the teams success what level would you say Dak played at last year?

In all honestly I saw improvement with in his play. I still see things he needs to work and improve on but I think he can get to that next level which is why I want to see him remain. I think Cowboys believe that as well or they would not have made the offer they made nor would they have increased that offer as the deadline got near.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That’s fine. I applaud that . But not if your intentions were to get him signed.

I think that was their intention but again it takes 2 to make a deal happen. Dallas is going to do what they feel is best for the entire team, Dak concern is Dak and I am not faulting him for that but it is the truth. Players will look after themselves but owners and GM have a much bigger picture they are looking at and it is not just 1 player. In my view Dallas made a very good offer and if others choose to berate the organization for that fine.