Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gonna be funny when Dak wakes up one morning in 2022 and wonders how he went from throwing the ball to Cooper, Gallup and Lamb to throwing to Moe, Larry and Curley in Cincinnati.
Not if he’s making more money in a more secure situation.

Amazing how fans feel that this business is all about winning. It’s about making money .

Same reason we uproot our family and loved ones moving them across the country in less desirable climates or environments to make more money.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
With Stephen talking so much lately (4 years too late) about the benefits of having a quarterback on a rookie contract, I think they will target a QB in the 2021 draft.

We'll be too good to have a shot at Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields, but a Trey Lance or Brock Purdy might be within range.

5e1927af52c0b.image.jpg

EP-190419664.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

fivetwos

Reaction score
Garrett didn’t control the offense since 2014. Linehan was the play caller and Jerry specifically said he didn’t want Garrett in any way part of the offense. He even used the term that Garrett was good in an ambiguous role.

Linehan coached two much better QBs in Stafford and Romo and Stafford had a 41 TD, 16 INT season under his play calling one year. Romo threw 34 TDs and only 9 INTs and 3 of them came in the first game. Linehan was produced top ten ranked offenses in Detroit. It’s their defenses that sucked when he was there.
You can blame it on the waterboy if you like, but I expect to stop hearing from opponents as far as they knew what was coming out of what formation etc, and the "they do what they do" mess.

Someone decided to play things close and scared on the road. Whoever it was, I'm confident they are no longer here.

As far as the rest of this, I just dont even know what to make of a pro Linehan comment by picking out one season by Stafford and one by Romo.

The guy was a garbage HC and a garbage coordinator. Glad he is long gone and I'm not alone.

You dont by any means have to expect the offense to be better under MM than it was before.

I personally do, and it's been widely discussed here. That's all I said.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Even harder to believe that some think that Quarterbacking a team with the #9 ranked defense, to an 8-8 season and failing to reach the playoffs in the worst division in football, is not failing.

Look, its over. Hes done. Face it. Hes a stop gap till MM can get HIS Qb. these negotiation were started during the Garrett era and now MM is here to put an end to this nonsense.

............He had his chance, and thank God, he blew it. Time to move on without Quincy Carter 2.0 as the future.

Get to Steppin
1427aca0-0a29-4310-bdf4-29f1f7df4b42_750x422.jpg
The defense was ranked 19th. Lets stop the misinformation please

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think at this point the team has to just let the season play out and make decisions from there.

If the offense and Dak are both highly effective, the team will have to revisit the chance to work out a long term deal with Dak. They tagged Lawrence one year and worked out a long term deal the next, so they have done that before.

But if they aren't satisfied with Dak and the offense after the season, other options would need to be considered. As you said, the draft might be tough because the team likely isn't going to draft high enough to have a shot at the best QB prospects. I'm not sure who the free agent options might be. Maybe they sign a free agent and draft someone.
Were you responding to me

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but IF the Cowboys had their doubts, as some suggest, why not use the non-exclusive tag to gauge his value. Instead, they offered him $100M+ contract and used the prohibitive tag preventing him/his agent from talking with any other team. I'm I missing something?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’m following the local media and press lead that this will most likely be Prescott’s last season with the Cowboys as they’ve decided he doesnt fit into their plans financially .

And will be much more expensive next year. Any big season he has in 2020 will further enable his value and pursuit of another team.

The Cowboys had their shot of resigning Dak and blew it.
this is pretty much it, and why I started the dak or dalton thread.

Dak wants to be the highest paid qb , except for maybe mahomes. So if they extend watson or some others after this season, he will want more than them.

Dak wants to be the highest paid qb , more than he wants to be the qb of the cowboys.

I think if they had used the other tag, where teams could bid on him, and IF another team offered him more money and the 4 year deal, he would
have taken it and said bye bye to the cowboys.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If dak has good stats, and the cowboys go 8-8 again is that a good year? still want to pay him big?
If dak has bad stats, plays poorly at times, but team finishes 11-5 and wins 1 playoff game then loses next one, is that a good year? still want to pay him big?

Thing is dak supporters go on about his stats if it is a bad year, and the record if it is a good year, and they always ignore the playoffs records, or say
he did as good as romo lol.

But no matter what , if jones boys cant get him to sign a contract, what good is he really?? They can only franchise him one more year, or let him
dictate terms of the contract, and say yes sir dak here you go just like you want it, 4 years 40 mil all guaranteed .

now dak is a decent qb, the problem is he wants way too much money to play, that is why he wasnt signed! He wants more than his skill set warrants.
So the best option like it or not is to move on from him now or as soon as possible, let him play for money somewhere else.

csirl

Reaction score
My prediction.

This is Daks final year with us.

MM will acquire HIS QB next offseason - by draft or FA.

This is a trial year for Dalton to see if he can be our version of Fitzmagic.

csirl

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but IF the Cowboys had their doubts, as some suggest, why not use the non-exclusive tag to gauge his value. Instead, they offered him $100M+ contract and used the prohibitive tag preventing him/his agent from talking with any other team. I'm I missing something?

That's a good question.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think the Cowboys didnt want to sign Dak to a long term deal now, but wanted to postpone any decision until after the 2020 season. With the non-exclusive tag, there is a chance some team would have made a multi year offer - which would force the Cowboys into a decision. Paying a small amount more via using the exclusive tag guaranteed the team that they could postpone any decision until 2021.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Dak is on very thin ice ,there is a realistic chance we may move on from him next year if we fail to make the playoffs,he will never get an offer like he did if that happens.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If dak has good stats, and the cowboys go 8-8 again is that a good year? still want to pay him big?
If dak has bad stats, plays poorly at times, but team finishes 11-5 and wins 1 playoff game then loses next one, is that a good year? still want to pay him big?

Thing is dak supporters go on about his stats if it is a bad year, and the record if it is a good year, and they always ignore the playoffs records, or say
he did as good as romo lol.

But no matter what , if jones boys cant get him to sign a contract, what good is he really?? They can only franchise him one more year, or let him
dictate terms of the contract, and say yes sir dak here you go just like you want it, 4 years 40 mil all guaranteed .

now dak is a decent qb, the problem is he wants way too much money to play, that is why he wasnt signed! He wants more than his skill set warrants.
So the best option like it or not is to move on from him now or as soon as possible, let him play for money somewhere else.
And that’s fine. I have no problem with that. Dak would have priced himself out of the job. My point in this thread wasn’t about arguing his value .

And the bashing from the local media I’ve read isn’t either. It’s about if you want Dak then he’s not going to be cheaper next year.

Pounding our chest over standing firm not caving in to Dak only makes sense if we don’t cave in next year.

And the other issue they are bashing the Cowboys on is potentially placing a roster ready to contend now in jeopardy of not having a franchise QB.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And that’s fine. I have no problem with that. Dak would have priced himself out of the job.

My point in this thread wasn’t about arguing his value . And the bashing from the local media I’ve read isn’t either. It’s about if you want Dak then he’s not going to be cheaper next year.

Pounding our chest over standing firm not caving in to Dak only makes sense if we don’t cave in next year.

And the other issue they are bashing the Cowboys on is potentially placing a roster ready to contend now in jeopardy of not having a franchise QB.
Next year the floor is 37 or so. That’s at least 2 million more. And no telling what watson and jackson get. I am guessing negotiations will stall on Daks side to see if they raise the market.

Its all a game from france.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's a good question.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think the Cowboys didnt want to sign Dak to a long term deal now, but wanted to postpone any decision until after the 2020 season. With the non-exclusive tag, there is a chance some team would have made a multi year offer - which would force the Cowboys into a decision. Paying a small amount more via using the exclusive tag guaranteed the team that they could postpone any decision until 2021.
That’s a possibility but the reports I’ve read is the Cowboys thought they could get a deal done this year. They are still shocked it didn’t happen despite not making much effort besides making what they considered a fair offer.

And this reaction is why they are being bashed cause standing firm has cost them that opportunity . And by most accounts it’s not going to be cheaper next year.

Pounding our chest we didn’t cave in only makes sense if we don’t intend to cave in next year costing the franchise more financially not to mention the effects of leaving our franchise without a QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Next year the floor is 37 or so. That’s at least 2 million more. And no telling what watson and jackson get. I am guessing negotiations will stall on Daks side to see if they raise the market.

Its all a game from france.
Could very well be. France is being criticized but he might actually be raising the bar for all QB’s next year.

This is where fans get weighed down much like owners can be as they assume everyone wants to play for their team and be happy with whatever they offer since it’s millions of dollars securing them financially.

These contract opportunities every 4 or 5 years and actually their second contract after Rookie deal is when they really go after maximizing their value.

Plus I think Dak is extra incentivized because unlike most of these star QB’s didn’t make millions his first contract cause he wasn’t a 1st round pick. And still not getting the respect. He has an agent which is demanding the respect.

And I’m not endorsing if Dak is worth it. I’m just respecting the process cause I think the players should fight for everything they can get as their career could end in the next snap and these owners will dump them the first sign of any decreasing production or ability diminishing. This is the nature of the business side of professional sports.

But there are many fans out there that surprisingly side with the owners resenting these athletes making tens and now hundreds of millions while the owners fatten their pockets with billions as a result of these players.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I support Dak and think he is a top 10 QB and should be the QB going forward. All that being said, I highly doubt Dak will be the QB after this season. History shows no QB has resigned with the team that franchise tags them.

I would look to the draft for QB and use a first round pick. Next year said be a good draft for QB but Lawrence and Fields isn't realistic. I'm looking at QBs that could be available between 10-25 pick and I like Tanner Morgan from Minnesota. His anticipation throws are elite right now and has great accuracy especially on deep throws.

Flamma

Reaction score
Depends on Dak. If he goes out produces big numbers and helps advance this team in post season then I fully expect him to remain as the Cowboys QB. If he bombs then Cowboys will be in search of a QB.

That's what I'm not so sure about. If the cowboys didn't like the 4 year arrangement this year, what will make them agree to it at a higher price? They're not going to pay him for what he did, but based on what he could do in the future. I think if Dak puts up big numbers he prices himself out of Dallas. To a less talented team with more cap space.