Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In all honestly I saw improvement with in his play. I still see things he needs to work and improve on but I think he can get to that next level which is why I want to see him remain. I think Cowboys believe that as well or they would not have made the offer they made nor would they have increased that offer as the deadline got near.
I think most of us see that.

I’m playing Devils advocate here. I’m assuming Jerry really wants to resign Dak while not wanting to overpay. But sometimes to get what you want must over reach much like making a trade, etc. You sometimes give up more than you want to get what you want.

If not then you must deal with the repercussions associated. Dak will weigh his other options now much like we will. That’s the business at hand.

But my bigger stance is following the local vibe in that if Jerry truly wanted Dak he will not be cheaper next year and he’s now placed himself in a position where he didn’t lock him up for several years. It’s only a big deal if you really want him and think he’s your guy.

marius

Reaction score
I think the next draft will be a great oportunity to draft a real franquise QB that the cowboys need, only offer another 1 year deal to Dalton a make it the starter for 2021 season, and give time to the new QB for the cowboys, Dak will be a past history

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think most of us see that.

I’m playing Devils advocate here. I’m assuming Jerry really wants to resign Dak while not wanting to overpay. But sometimes to get what you want must over reach much like making a trade, etc. You sometimes give up more than you want to get what you want.

If not then you must deal with the repercussions associated. Dak will weigh his other options now much like we will. That’s the business at hand.

But my bigger stance is following the local vibe in that if Jerry truly wanted Dak he will not be cheaper next year and he’s now placed himself in a position where he didn’t lock him up for several years. It’s only a big deal if you really want him and think he’s your guy.

If Dallas places a tag next season Dak will have little to no choice. He will either play or skip 2021 and I sure as hell do not see him skipping 2021 season. As I said how this plays out will have more to do with how Dak performs than anything said or written here

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think that was their intention but again it takes 2 to make a deal happen. Dallas is going to do what they feel is best for the entire team, Dak concern is Dak and I am not faulting him for that but it is the truth. Players will look after themselves but owners and GM have a much bigger picture they are looking at and it is not just 1 player. In my view Dallas made a very good offer and if others choose to berate the organization for that fine.
That’s not in dispute. I’m still not sure your grasping my angle here. This is about if Jerry really wants Dak, he won’t be cheaper next year.

This was the time to step up and lock him in. Not that should have. I personally actually agree on many of your thoughts about Dak but I’m taking a broader view of our our ownerships thought process if they indeed really want Dak beyond 2020.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Cowboys had their opportunity and blew it this year.

Odds are most covering the Cowboys closely is this will be it for Prescott.

Time for both parties to begin exploring other options.
Yes, Dak had his chance to sign long term with the Cowboys, but he blew it.

I'd trade him right now, while the news is still hot on this and we can reap our best value. Maybe we can get a 1st and 3rd from someone? Hopefully a crappy team to reap the best trade value.

Roll with Dalton and Nooch, MM is a QB guru and Big Tuna always said he wanted a bus driver as a QB anyhow.

Maybe trade the 1st for Adams, if he still wants to give us a break like he mentioned...Since he wants to play for us. Even if he signs for 15 million, we are still 15 million better off than with Dak.

With all those moves, we should still have about 25 million cap space left, we could even go for Clowney on a 1 year deal. Those 2 defensive moves would surely make our defense move up a few spots in rank and we were at #9 or there abouts last year.

Yeah, so that is the direction I would go in at QB, to improve our defense.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Dak double-crossed Jerry last year, and no-one but no-one screws Jerry over. What can Dak do? Dak can fire his agent, apologize to Jerry for listening to his agent, and accept the Cowboy's generous offer to remain a Cowboy. All fixed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That’s not in dispute. I’m still not sure your grasping my angle here. This is about if Jerry really wants Dak, he won’t be cheaper next year.

This was the time to step up and lock him in. Not that should have. I personally actually agree on many of your thoughts about Dak but I’m taking a broader view of our ow worships thought process if they indeed really want Dak behind 2020.

Unless Dak steps up his game his price tag will not be higher. If Dak goes out and plays poorly you think anyone is going to be throwing mega dollars at him? Right now would anyone give us 2 1st rd picks? I do like Dak but I also think Dak still has areas he needs to get better at. I have seen improvement in him as he has grown but I think he will has something he must improve on to take that next step. I think Jerry was willing to just so far. Early on it was reported Dallas was looking at 6 to 7 year deal and they came down to 5 but Jerry will only bend so far. Now if Dak can go out and help this team to a championship I think Jerry will pay whatever it takes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, Dak had his chance to sign long term with the Cowboys, but he blew it.

I'd trade him right now, while the news is still hot on this and we can reap our best value. Maybe we can get a 1st and 3rd from someone? Hopefully a crappy team to reap the best trade value.

Roll with Dalton and Nooch, MM is a QB guru and Big Tuna always said he wanted a bus driver as a QB anyhow.

Maybe trade the 1st for Adams, if he still wants to give us a break like he mentioned...Since he wants to play for us. Even if he signs for 15 million, we are still 15 million better off than with Dak.

With all those moves, we should still have about 25 million cap space left, we could even go for Clowney on a 1 year deal. Those 2 defensive moves would surely make our defense move up a few spots in rank and we were at #9 or there abouts last year.

Yeah, so that is the direction I would go in at QB, to improve our defense.
Apparently those not in support of Dak are very pleased today.

I like the idea of a trade now. Cut our ties and move on. If it cost us the season we get a high pick next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unless Dak steps up his game his price tag will not be higher. If Dak goes out and plays poorly you think anyone is going to be throwing mega dollars at him? Right now would anyone give us 2 1st rd picks? I do like Dak but I also think Dak still has areas he needs to get better at. I have seen improvement in him as he has grown but I think he will has something he must improve on to take that next step. I think Jerry was willing to just so far. Early on it was reported Dallas was looking at 6 to 7 year deal and they came down to 5 but Jerry will only bend so far. Now if Dak can go out and help this team to a championship I think Jerry will pay whatever it takes.
That again would be a horrid way to manage the team. Only reward for winning a championship. Which would actually be the best time to cut him loose as he’s be the most expensive.

Which tells me you’re still missing my point here.

One more time.

The bashing of the Cowboys is :
if we were intent on retaining Dak yesterday would have been the best time financially to resign Dak.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Apparently those not in support of Dak are very pleased today.

I like the idea of a trade now. Cut our ties and move on. If it cost us the season we get a high pick next year.
That's the thing, I don't think it would cost us our season. I really don't see a drop off on offense without Dak, especially now with CeeDee on board. I think there are a lot of QBs, Dalton included, that can make our offense just as potent with or without Dak.

Now, what we can do with the extra cap room and pick now to improve our defense, this can bring us back to our new Doomsday era. Doomsday won Roger his 2 superbowls. The 92 Cowboys team had the #1 ranked defense (with no pro bowlers). Add Adams and Clowney, let's make this another Doomsday and the Dalton can join the ranks of Dilfer and Johnson!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's the thing, I don't think it would cost us our season. I really don't see a drop off on offense without Dak, especially now with CeeDee on board. I think there are a lot of QBs, Dalton included, that can make our offense just as potent with or without Dak.

Now, what we can do with the extra cap room and pick now to improve our defense, this can bring us back to our new Doomsday era. Doomsday won Roger his 2 superbowls. The 92 Cowboys team had the #1 ranked defense (with no pro bowlers). Add Adams and Clowney, let's make this another Doomsday and the Dalton can join the ranks of Dilfer and Johnson!
Very interesting. Too bad this season probably won’t be completed.

Sydla

Reaction score
Gonna be funny when Dak wakes up one morning in 2022 and wonders how he went from throwing the ball to Cooper, Gallup and Lamb to throwing to Moe, Larry and Curley in Cincinnati.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm generally indifferent on Prescott, but they wont be able to replace him all that easily and quickly.

We have debated at great length at how certain players were held back because of Garrett.

Why is it not logical that Prescott should improve under MM?

I'm leaning toward it being a very good thing to have those two work together for a season before they commit long term.

Other than that, what is there to do....sign next years Phillip Rivers, draft one high, or tag him again.

I'd like to think this is the braintrusts' logic, but I just dont get the idea they think anything through at all sometimes.

Garrett didn’t control the offense since 2014. Linehan was the play caller and Jerry specifically said he didn’t want Garrett in any way part of the offense. He even used the term that Garrett was good in an ambiguous role.

Linehan coached two much better QBs in Stafford and Romo and Stafford had a 41 TD, 16 INT season under his play calling one year. Romo threw 34 TDs and only 9 INTs and 3 of them came in the first game. Linehan was produced top ten ranked offenses in Detroit. It’s their defenses that sucked when he was there.

Last edited:

Shane612

Reaction score
Why would Dak reject $100,000,000.00 in guaranteed money to sign?
Sound more than fair....

I don't get it....but that's just me.....

:clap:

Last edited: