Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
No, you don't like hearing things that you don't want to hear. Inconvenient truths.

If you do, you obviously throw tantrums.

I gave you the opportunity to talk about the facts and what each of the coaches actually inherited. Instead, you chose to cry about it.

That sure looks like an issue.

they both inherited bad teams. They both have been successful at drafting better players. Neither has had playoff success. How you can say one is a success and one is a failure is strictly agenda driven.

Billyd

Reaction score
At the very least, Wade was an accomplished defensive coordinator. Garrett's never even earned that job title.

Despite his failures in Dallas, Wade Phillips went on and won a Super Bowl ring. And he's now the coordinator of the latest team to pass us by like we were standing still - the Rams.
WADE phillips is a great defensive cord, he was before he came to the Cowboys..My point is he was not head coaching material before he was hired by the Cowboys...That was on Jerry..Hell Sean ran like hell to get away from Jerry...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
GAILEY was fired with a winning record..I dont remember what Gailey did to blow it in Dallas..But I know that Jerry was heavily criticized as he rose to his level of incompetence as a GM..

I cant really blame Garret for Jerrys stupid movez, just like I cant criticize Stephen for Getting Tony a real offensive line when Garret took over..But i think it should be easy to recognize that Jeruh and his influence are the prime reasons for a lack of winning..Garrett has to take responsibility as well..I believe he does..Watch a press conference after the team loses..However JJ never really admits much unless players like Witten Bail before he could cut their necks off!
There's no doubt that Jerry's the most to blame. All I can do is criticize the many blunders Garrett does as HC. Jerry won't hire a real HC or a real GM. The guy could have been one of the best owners in the NFL if he wanted to and would have been beloved in Dallas. His ego just won't let him do it though.

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Chris Peterson would fit the way they do things now. They love boise state haha

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they both inherited bad teams. They both have been successful at drafting better players. Neither has had playoff success. How you can say one is a success and one is a failure is strictly agenda driven.

No, what's "agenda driven" is you trying to compare the two as if they were equal.

They weren't close to equal. And again, I invite you to discuss that fact, free from tantrums and name-calling.

We can examine both rosters both coaches inherited.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WADE phillips is a great defensive cord, he was before he came to the Cowboys..My point is he was not head coaching material before he was hired by the Cowboys...That was on Jerry..Hell Sean ran like hell to get away from Jerry...

That whole thing was screwed up by Jerry. Immediately after Parcells left, he saw fit to bring Garrett in the second he could. Parcells seat wasn't even cold yet.

And who hires an assistant coach before they hire a head coach? Oh, that's right - NOBODY!

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
No, what's "agenda driven" is you trying to compare the two as if they were equal.

They weren't close to equal. And again, I invite you to discuss that fact, free from tantrums and name-calling.

We can examine both rosters both coaches inherited.

Ok.

Position groups:

QB- Parcells - Carter Garrett - Romo Advantage Garrett - by a mile too.

RB: Troy Hambrick, Richie Anderson : Garrett Felix Jones, Demarcus Murray (Rookie): Pretty close since Murray was a big disappointment is first 3 years in the league but I will go Advantage Garrett

TE: Parcells: Campbell Garrett: Witten - Advantage Garrett

OL: Parcells: Flozell Adams, Larry Allen, Matt Lehr, Andre Gurode, Kurt Vollers. Garrett: Doug Free, Montrae Holland, Phil Costa, Kyle Kosier, Tyron Smith (Rookie).

Advantage Parcells - by a mile IMO

WR: Parcells, Gallaway and Glenn Garrett: Dez and Austin - Pretty much a push IMO

Defense:

DL: Parcells - Ekuban, Ellis, Blade, Glover Garrett: Coleman, Hatcher, Ratliff - Advantage Parcells
LB: Parcells: Nguyen, Coakley, Singleton Garrett: Spencer, Ware Lee, James, Advantage Garrett
DB: Parcells, Newman, Edwards, Woodson, Garrett: Newman, Jenkins, Elam, Sensabaugh : pretty much a push with a leaning to Parcells.

So. 4 Advantages to Garrett, 3 Advantages to Parcells and a few pushes

Again, both were bad teams they inherited. The QB was better for Garrett but the OL was better for Parcells. The DL was better for Parcells while the LB were better for Garrett, the DB were about the same imo.

I don't see a HUGE difference in talent level with the exception of QB which was somewhat negated by the horrible OL in place. The four years of drafts under Wade were horrible, very bad.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok.

Position groups:

QB- Parcells - Carter Garrett - Romo Advantage Garrett - by a mile too.

RB: Troy Hambrick, Richie Anderson : Garrett Felix Jones, Demarcus Murray (Rookie): Pretty close since Murray was a big disappointment is first 3 years in the league but I will go Advantage Garrett

TE: Parcells: Campbell Garrett: Witten - Advantage Garrett

OL: Parcells: Flozell Adams, Larry Allen, Matt Lehr, Andre Gurode, Kurt Vollers. Garrett: Doug Free, Montrae Holland, Phil Costa, Kyle Kosier, Tyron Smith (Rookie).

Advantage Parcells - by a mile IMO

WR: Parcells, Gallaway and Glenn Garrett: Dez and Austin - Pretty much a push IMO

Defense:

DL: Parcells - Ekuban, Ellis, Blade, Glover Garrett: Coleman, Hatcher, Ratliff - Advantage Parcells
LB: Parcells: Nguyen, Coakley, Singleton Garrett: Spencer, Ware Lee, James, Advantage Garrett
DB: Parcells, Newman, Edwards, Woodson, Garrett: Newman, Jenkins, Elam, Sensabaugh : pretty much a push with a leaning to Parcells.

So. 4 Advantages to Garrett, 3 Advantages to Parcells and a few pushes

Again, both were bad teams they inherited. The QB was better for Garrett but the OL was better for Parcells. The DL was better for Parcells while the LB were better for Garrett, the DB were about the same imo.

I don't see a HUGE difference in talent level with the exception of QB which was somewhat negated by the horrible OL in place. The four years of drafts under Wade were horrible, very bad.

Let's focus on this one specifically first:

How did Parcells have a better offensive line "by a mile"? And Garrett somehow had a "horrible OL in place"?

Let's tackle this one first.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Let's focus on this one specifically first:

How did Parcells have a better offensive line "by a mile"? And Garrett somehow had a "horrible OL in place"?

Let's tackle this one first.

adams, allen and gurode, were all better than anything on the OL in 2011. Smith, has been great and a wonderful pick but he was just a rookie that year and playing on the right side. Gurode, while not great was worlds better than Costa on his best day. Doug Free was very average at his best, especially at LT. Kyle was an average guard and prob the best OL on that team that year which should tell you everything you need to know.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garret should have been fired already, he has had ample time and his results have been inconsistent at best. This is professional sports and the results matter, getting to and winning playoff games is how success is measured. There is no column for moral victories or "if this or that happened" wins. His teams have underperformed and while there is a certain amount of luck involved, injuries, penalties etc., at some point you have to have your team overcome adversity to become successful.

My point in that post was that he has been given ample time, but failed to meet that level of success and that after last season, it was an opportune time to make that change based on where the team is based on personnel and recent and impending changes.
This is a sound argument but apparent the bar here is lower.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adams, allen and gurode, were all better than anything on the OL in 2011. Smith, has been great and a wonderful pick but he was just a rookie that year and playing on the right side. Gurode, while not great was worlds better than Costa on his best day. Doug Free was very average at his best, especially at LT. Kyle was an average guard and prob the best OL on that team that year which should tell you everything you need to know.

What was Matt Lehr? Far worse than anything Garrett inherited. And it's not close. How about the great Kirt Vollers. Do you think he was better than anything Garrett's had?

And Larry Allen was a declining player that Parcells butted heads with for being out of shape before he eventually had him released. It's not as if he was in his prime.

Garrett's line had four capable players at minimum. Parcells had three.

Garrett's line was as good if not better than what Parcells inherited. Certainly not worse "by a mile."

Dre11

Reaction score
Two names at the top of my list would be Michigan's Jim Harbaugh and Wisconsin's Paul Chryst.

Harbaugh is a fruit cake and a nut, he will never have sustain success in the nfl. Christ would be a rookie coach learning how to be a head coach in the nfl.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
why Harbaugh? what has he done?

He's not afraid to dig in and get to the root of the problem. He'll get his hands dirty, if necessary.

HfzeVnj.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Judging on past history, it's tough to argue against that. The question now would be, how much more involved would other people like Stephen and McClay have in searching for and evaluating possible HC candidates? The personalities and working relationships between FO and HC are always a consideration in the NFL, probably even more so here with the Cowboys, but the lure of where our roster, cap situation and resources would make it very tempting especially for a young, up and coming coach eager to prove his worth.
Not many coaches want to place their careers and reputation at risk without having more control.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Harbaugh is a fruit cake and a nut, he will never have sustain success in the nfl. Christ would be a rookie coach learning how to be a head coach in the nfl.

Both are more qualified and better coaches than the current imposter.