Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Billyd

Reaction score
I hope the "Garrett factor" resonates with Jerry when he mentions his regrets of not winning a championship with these beloved players.

Because it should.

I doubt Jerry even remembers what somebody wrote for him!

Billyd

Reaction score
I don't think they'll win the division. They might be a border WC team. I think this team can go in a number of different ways. I think they can compete for a playoff spot or fall completely apart. I just don't know. If he gets this team to the NFCC I'd give him a final chance because it would be impressive.

I SEE some advantages with a new passing offense or lets say an augmented one. NOTHING Goes completely smooth with a change up of At least two receivers and a tight end. Not to mention three starters on defense..Dt, lbr, fs..at least as of right now..

Billyd

Reaction score
Agreed, then again if its only players, then how did he take the same players and go 5-3 rest of the way...

Billyd

Reaction score
DONT speculate if you dont remember..Wades warts showed up, and Tos cancer in the team was full outbreak..Parcells was right..Once again These issues belay the point that its not always the players, it what you do with them..Wade was a worthless head coach..

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Gtys and the Nfl are not congruent..Coaches get fired for opm or other peoples mistakes..No question..

Some people realize they make mistakes and keep good people around..Whether or not you think Garrett is a good coach or not, based soley on his ability to win the playoffs does not account for the global issues with the Cowboys..What you are saying, and lets be clear. IF Garret does not get this team to the sb this year, he should be fired.That right?

Garret should have been fired already, he has had ample time and his results have been inconsistent at best. This is professional sports and the results matter, getting to and winning playoff games is how success is measured. There is no column for moral victories or "if this or that happened" wins. His teams have underperformed and while there is a certain amount of luck involved, injuries, penalties etc., at some point you have to have your team overcome adversity to become successful.

My point in that post was that he has been given ample time, but failed to meet that level of success and that after last season, it was an opportune time to make that change based on where the team is based on personnel and recent and impending changes.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Just about any coach you hire will have more coaching experience than Garrett had before he was hired.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly, while having to deal with Jerry certainly has it's challenges and drawbacks, this team would be a very desirable destination for a potential HC. There's great building blocks in place, the OL/RB, a young promising QB, young promising secondary and DL, youth at most other positions that you can mold and coach, not already set in their ways, no long time players entrenched that would be adverse to change, a lucrative, high profile job for the most visible sports team. The challenges coaching for a team like the Cowboys are great, but the potential rewards for success are even greater.
While I’d agree with the premise here I don’t really believe anyone expects a HC to have much success here and why its a Dead End job.

Only one HC since Jimmy has ever landed a HC job elsewhere after leaving and it took Gailey years at GA Tech before rebounding to a short stint in Buffalo.

I can’t image anyone of true value we’d want unless they couldn’t land a job elsewhere or coming out of retirement for one more fling like Bill.

Billyd

Reaction score
Yea I always laugh when I hear that. The year before we were picked by many to go to the SB.

THE year before that Wade let Tony and Witten go to Cozumel the week before the playoff game against the Giants. ONCE AGAIN Who was the offensive cord? WADE WAS A WORTHLESS HEAD COACH .Wade has a worse record in the playoffs as a head coach than Garret does. LOL .

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
tenor.gif
I don’t have an issue. I just don't like talking with a hypocrite.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just about any coach you hire will have more coaching experience than Garrett had before he was hired.
Yep. Probably the least experienced HC in NFL history which makes him a perfect candidate for Jerry’s agenda.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t have an issue. I just don't like talking with a hypocrite.

No, you don't like hearing things that you don't want to hear. Inconvenient truths.

If you do, you obviously throw tantrums.

I gave you the opportunity to talk about the facts and what each of the coaches actually inherited. Instead, you chose to cry about it.

That sure looks like an issue.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
THE year before that Wade let Tony and Witten go to Cozumel the week before the playoff game against the Giants. ONCE AGAIN Who was the offensive cord? WADE WAS A WORTHLESS HEAD COACH .Wade has a worse record in the playoffs as a head coach than Garret does. LOL .
Never said Wade was a good HC. I was calling for his firing the same as I'm calling for Garrett's now. If I knew we were going to be stuck with the trainee for 8 years I might have stuck it out with old Wade. lol

Billyd

Reaction score
While I’d agree with the premise here I don’t really believe anyone expects a HC to have much success here and why its a Dead End job.

Only one HC since Jimmy has ever landed a HC job elsewhere after leaving and it took Gailey years at GA Tech before rebounding to a short stint in Buffalo.

I can’t image anyone of true value we’d want unless they couldn’t land a job elsewhere or coming out of retirement for one more fling like Bill.

GAILEY was fired with a winning record..I dont remember what Gailey did to blow it in Dallas..But I know that Jerry was heavily criticized as he rose to his level of incompetence as a GM..

I cant really blame Garret for Jerrys stupid movez, just like I cant criticize Stephen for Getting Tony a real offensive line when Garret took over..But i think it should be easy to recognize that Jeruh and his influence are the prime reasons for a lack of winning..Garrett has to take responsibility as well..I believe he does..Watch a press conference after the team loses..However JJ never really admits much unless players like Witten Bail before he could cut their necks off!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never said Wade was a good HC. I was calling for his firing the same as I'm calling for Garrett's now. If I knew we were going to be stuck with the trainee for 8 years I might have stuck it out with old Wade. lol

At the very least, Wade was an accomplished defensive coordinator. Garrett's never even earned that job title.

Despite his failures in Dallas, Wade Phillips went on and won a Super Bowl ring. And he's now the coordinator of the latest team to pass us by like we were standing still - the Rams.

Billyd

Reaction score

HAVE you ever read about Garrets dad, and his involvement with the Nfl? YOU MUST believe everything negative you hear or read about him...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HAVE you ever read about Garrets dad, and his involvement with the Nfl? YOU MUST believe everything negative you hear or read about him...

What about Garrett's Dad with the NFL?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Judging on past history, it's tough to argue against that. The question now would be, how much more involved would other people like Stephen and McClay have in searching for and evaluating possible HC candidates? The personalities and working relationships between FO and HC are always a consideration in the NFL, probably even more so here with the Cowboys, but the lure of where our roster, cap situation and resources would make it very tempting especially for a young, up and coming coach eager to prove his worth.