Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly, while having to deal with Jerry certainly has it's challenges and drawbacks, this team would be a very desirable destination for a potential HC. There's great building blocks in place, the OL/RB, a young promising QB, young promising secondary and DL, youth at most other positions that you can mold and coach, not already set in their ways, no long time players entrenched that would be adverse to change, a lucrative, high profile job for the most visible sports team. The challenges coaching for a team like the Cowboys are great, but the potential rewards for success are even greater.

A lot worse situations to step into for sure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. so you have different standards for success based on your own like or dislike of someone. Got it. Agenda driven so this conversation is over, continue on with your mindless rants.

tenor.gif

Billyd

Reaction score
I don't think he was ever involved. Like I said, another guy who was never qualified to have the job, he was simply the last of that regime left here.

Campo also had to deal with the legends reaching the end of the line and a salary cap disaster.

Doesn't mean he was good at his job, but they were mitigating factors too.

CAMPO was qualified but not as a head coach, and in no way capable of doing anything but bending over for an owner that they worked with to win a sb..Campo was a good secondary coach, but not a head coach in the Nfl..Campo was Jerry pissing off other candidates!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Again, it's my fault if I can't do the job. Regardless of who thought that I could. Their fault in hiring me doesn't absolve me of my own fault in failing in the job. How hard is this to understand?

exactly, how hard is it for you to understand.....if you are not qualified, then you are given a job, then you are given a responsibility...... you will fail...its management's fault for putting you in a position that you have no chance of succeeding.....its putting you in a position to fail....... everyone knows that.......put someone in a position to succeed, by matching their ability and skills to the task given.......garrett had no right to be in that position to begin with...jerry put him there....failure was inevitable......geesh.....that's such a simple management concept.......

Says who? You? Pffft! The fact is that the guy didn't coach anywhere after Dallas. He walked away from coaching, not Jerry Jones. Agenda destroyed.

says who? you? Pffft..... everyone knew dallas was parcells last coaching job...last big challenge....he left...he was never going to coach after dallas...succeed or fail....there was plenty of speculation and articles on that...of course parcells never directly said anything....

Uninformed opinion. Ignorance. Parcells turned this organization around and set the table for Wade Phillips to win with his roster.
yes, parcells did turn the organization...I have never argued..... he set the table for the next coach...it happened to be wade...wade royally screwed it up.....

It sure didn't help, but again, Parcells left coaching, not Jerry Jones. He was done with the grind regardless. He never coached again. In Dallas or anywhere.

no argument...again.....if you read through.....dallas was to be parcells last coaching job....he left early....he couldn't deal with jerry

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2013/07/31/star-parcells-still-has-regrets-leaving-cowboys-early

http://ryanbush.biz/how-bill-parcells-came-to-leave-the-cowboys-behind-2/

No arguments. That's where he brought in his unqualified coach Garrett.

ok, garrett was unqualified....he was given the job.....he was given the responsibility...given he was not qualified...he was going to fail. inevitable......

It is when you have the pieces Parcells never did. Context.
Agreed. But any positives he brings are undone by the noted failures as an X's and O's coach.

Draft, process, culture, all mean jack if your shortcomings in coaching cause you to lose.

I don't disagree....he helped right the ship, we just need the right coach to take it over the finish line...my concern Jerry will think he has very little time left, has a knee jerk reaction again, thinks he knows what he is doing, brings in a puppet and royally screws up again and we go back to square one...its been kind of the history with him...but again. I am a little more hopeful, because he is older, perhaps less hands on...less meddling and his son seems to play interference now....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't think he was ever involved. Like I said, another guy who was never qualified to have the job, he was simply the last of that regime left here.

Campo also had to deal with the legends reaching the end of the line and a salary cap disaster.

Doesn't mean he was good at his job, but they were mitigating factors too.
yes. campo just wanted his chance at head coaching. yes he had legends at the end of their career...but those drafts were awful.... so we lost three years of talent infusion. that was all jerry......campo or a monkey, would end up with exact same results. LOL

Blackspider214

Reaction score
8 years is well beyond learning on the job. And the fact we had a coach that had to 'learn on the job' prohibited us from ever excelling on the field.

Billyd

Reaction score
Never hold onto a mistake just because you took a long time to make it.

That's what we have in Garrett, he wasn't ready when he was hired. He's shown himself to be average and being average is the enemy of being good or great. Being bad, forces change, but being average gives you false hope that maybe, just maybe you can take that next step. Being average gets us what we've got, being mired in mediocrity.

IMO, after this last season would have been the opportune time to make a HC change, we were replacing almost the entire coaching staff already, we have a near new secondary just overhauled last year, overhauling the WRs this year and trying to implement a new passing game, with the exception of Lee, a very young LB core, transition in the TE position and a very young QB that's still learning the game and not set in his ways. Sometimes a new fresh perspective does wonders for a team and a new HC would have the building blocks and the youth to implement the needed changes.

There's no guarantee a new HC would get us into Conference Championships or Superbowls, but there's no guarantee that Garrett will either. Going into 8 years, now was the time to break the status quo and demand more than what we've

Gtys and the Nfl are not congruent..Coaches get fired for opm or other peoples mistakes..No question..

Some people realize they make mistakes and keep good people around..Whether or not you think Garrett is a good coach or not, based soley on his ability to win the playoffs does not account for the global issues with the Cowboys..What you are saying, and lets be clear. IF Garret does not get this team to the sb this year, he should be fired.That right?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
8 years is well beyond learning on the job. And the fact we had a coach that had to 'learn on the job' prohibited us from ever excelling on the field.
Jerry pee'd in our collective faces with the hiring of Garrett and then had the audacity to proclaim him a Coach-In-Training. And then strip away his on-the-field responsibilities year by year because of his outright failures.
For the Cowboys? What a joke of a thing to do to your own product.

Billyd

Reaction score
YEAH well you should hate Bum Bright who sold the team to a redneck from Arkansas!

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Gtys and the Nfl are not congruent..Coaches get fired for opm or other peoples mistakes..No question..

Some people realize they make mistakes and keep good people around..Whether or not you think Garrett is a good coach or not, based soley on his ability to win the playoffs does not account for the global issues with the Cowboys..What you are saying, and lets be clear. IF Garret does not get this team to the sb this year, he should be fired.That right?
If he gets us to the NFCC I'd be willing to give him another year but I'm not holding my breath.

Billyd

Reaction score
Jerry pee'd in our collective faces with the hiring of Garrett and then had the audacity to proclaim him a Coach-In-Training. And then strip away his on-the-field responsibilities year by year because of his outright failures.
For the Cowboys? What a joke of a thing to do to your own product.

JERRUH does that to everybody, plus we all know that several of these....Issues...Didnt happen!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not sure why no one mentions him but John Fox will likely be at the top of Jerry AND Stephen's list. Harbaugh would be great but would likely want too much control for their taste.

Billyd

Reaction score
If he gets us to the NFCC I'd be willing to give him another year but I'm not holding my breath.

WOW, i dont think this team is going to win the division..May not get into the playoffs...Questions at Wr, Te, Dt, and fs. WHY would you think Garrett has a chance to get his team into the playoffs?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yes. campo just wanted his chance at head coaching. yes he had legends at the end of their career...but those drafts were awful.... so we lost three years of talent infusion. that was all jerry......campo or a monkey, would end up with exact same results. LOL

Like Wade, I don't think Campo had much involvement in the draft. A key factor in why they were so terrible.

Billyd

Reaction score
NOW, If this were to happen then I say this..One more time..Did Garrett send Romo out to pasture, Cut Dez, And Make Witten feel like he was next?

Good thank you..Be careful what you wish for!

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
WOW, i dont think this team is going to win the division..May not get into the playoffs...Questions at Wr, Te, Dt, and fs. WHY would you think Garrett has a chance to get his team into the playoffs?
I don't think they'll win the division. They might be a border WC team. I think this team can go in a number of different ways. I think they can compete for a playoff spot or fall completely apart. I just don't know. If he gets this team to the NFCC I'd give him a final chance because it would be impressive.