Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Dre11

Reaction score
Couldn't care less. The man wins, unlike Jason Garrett.

I'd rather a winning coach who acts crazy than a loser who gives great talks.

Whatever, how long you think he would last, hence why he didn’t lat in San Fran

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Wade was running the team, as Garrett is now. The team Garrett inherited from Wade was 1-7. When he took over they went 5-3. Only change was the coaching. Spin that however you like, but it's the truth.
Garrett was completely in charge of that offense. Wade didn't know what was going on with it.

Haimerej

Reaction score
It also "truth" that they were 1-7 with Garrett running half of it. "Spin" however you want to if you think you're getting Garrett off the hook. You're not.

Why does a coordinator hold as much responsibility as the HC for a poor performance? You don't get a better apples to apples comparison than taking over a team midseason and winning 5x more with the same players.

Wade was hired after Garrett was. And was making more money than Wade was at one time. It's the truth.

That's nice. Irrelevant, but nice to know.

But it's obvious that you want to blame everything on Wade while giving Garrett a pass. Not happening.

I blame 1-7 on Wade and I blame 5-3 on Garrett. If anyone is giving anyone a pass here, it's you trying to protect Wade by saying 50% of his failure was because of Garrett.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Holy hell, are people still defending Wade just to pile on JG? That's just lazy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett still had high quality players at the most important positions.

Any talk of the cupboard being bare is inaccurate.
he had some high quality players...again, we lost a couple of years to bad drafts....I am not arguing if garrett had less than parcells. parcells had way less and it was amazing how quickly he rebuilt the team.

again, we all agree that garrett leaves some to be desired in the Xs and O's dept.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
At the very least, Wade was an accomplished defensive coordinator. Garrett's never even earned that job title.

Despite his failures in Dallas, Wade Phillips went on and won a Super Bowl ring. And he's now the coordinator of the latest team to pass us by like we were standing still - the Rams.

so what? John Harbaugh was never any coordinator...he was special teams coach....

it was also proven that wade can take a good thing and ruin it quickly as a HC, he was a good DC and that's his role in the NFL...nothing wrong with that...

and yes he won a superbowl ring as a coordinator, never coming close as a HC....

Haimerej

Reaction score
The team played better because the players got scared for their jobs that's all.

Any player needing that kind of motivation to give their all isn't worth having on your team. You've just undercut stash's argument about the players Garrett inherited. Apparently, he inherited a bunch of guys who couldn't be motivated without the threat of losing their jobs. No wonder Garrett had to rebuild.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does a coordinator hold as much responsibility as the HC for a poor performance?

When that "coordinator" was hired before the "head coach."

You don't get a better apples to apples comparison than taking over a team midseason and winning 5x more with the same players.

Nor a more damning indictment than a coach who's offense scores 20 points a game until the head coach gets fired, and then suddenly scores 9 more points a game after that head coach is fired.

That's nice. Irrelevant, but nice to know.

Nice try. Show me where else that happens. What other normal-functioning team does that? I'll wait...

I blame 1-7 on Wade and I blame 5-3 on Garrett. If anyone is giving anyone a pass here, it's you trying to protect Wade by saying 50% of his failure was because of Garrett.

As I've said, I know who's offense was putting up lousy numbers before Wade was fired and far better numbers afterwards. But I'm sure that's just darn coincidence right?

Here's the awful truth for the non-homer crowd:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2010.htm

And if anyone wants to hear the story about who's offense gakked up the week one game against the Commanders by passing the ball from his own end just before the half, let me know and I'll tell that one too.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No, what's "agenda driven" is you trying to compare the two as if they were equal.

They weren't close to equal. And again, I invite you to discuss that fact, free from tantrums and name-calling.

We can examine both rosters both coaches inherited.
I think what he is saying, history not withstanding, based on results.

both had bad teams.
both brought process to the fore front.
both lost in the playoffs.
neither got to the eventual goal.

so looking at results for the period, both were average.

Parcells had a history of winning prior to dallas.

are we comparing them for their work in dallas? or their entire career? if the latter, then there is no comparison....if the former, then results say they accomplished as much.

as for who had worse roster.... its an argument to be had...I am with you...parcells had worse roster....he had a great DC that he didn't realize and jettisoned.....so he can do 3-4

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That whole thing was screwed up by Jerry. Immediately after Parcells left, he saw fit to bring Garrett in the second he could. Parcells seat wasn't even cold yet.

And who hires an assistant coach before they hire a head coach? Oh, that's right - NOBODY!
exactly...and that's jerry for you

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like an indictment of Wade Phillips.

Sounds like you hear just what you want to hear.

After all, you think it's "irrelevant" that Garrett was hired first and at one time got paid more.

As if any sane organization does that.
:facepalm:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let's focus on this one specifically first:

How did Parcells have a better offensive line "by a mile"? And Garrett somehow had a "horrible OL in place"?

Let's tackle this one first.
holy cow...you are kidding right? parcells OL was heck of a lot better...

now, that's how they started..... Garrett fixed the OL issues a couple years in through draft, were after 3 years, we have a great OL....

one thing I give garrett credit...we had never ever before drafted OL in the first round, under garrett he convinced Jerry to do it three times...one in top 10....

if nothing else. I give him credit for that..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what he is saying, history not withstanding, based on results.

both had bad teams.
both brought process to the fore front.
both lost in the playoffs.
neither got to the eventual goal.

so looking at results for the period, both were average.

Parcells had a history of winning prior to dallas.

are we comparing them for their work in dallas? or their entire career? if the latter, then there is no comparison....if the former, then results say they accomplished as much.

as for who had worse roster.... its an argument to be had...I am with you...parcells had worse roster....he had a great DC that he didn't realize and jettisoned.....so he can do 3-4

Yes, Parcells had the far worse roster. It's not close. The team couldn't get quarterback right for years before he got here. He fixed that and got the team Romo.

If he did nothing else, he deserves a ton of credit for fixing that and righting the ship at sports most valuable position.

Garrett was gifted what Parcells built.

Romo, Ware, Witten. Perennial Pro Bowl talents. Wasted.