Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I would love to see some young up and coming hotshot with an aggressive style of play

Historically, that's the coaches who win SBs, that's the kind of coach I have been wanting every since Jimmy left. Switzer won a SB, of course, but that was with a built team. Ditto with Ditka imho.

But Landry, Noll, Belichick, Parcells, Walsh, all multiple SB winners, all relatively young when they became head coach.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Jerry needs to pick up the phone and call Mike Shanahan. He knows QBs and knows how to game plan and use his running backs. He sucked with the skins but he sure had Alfred Morris gash the.Cowboys for 200 yds in a win and your in the playoffs game.

mcmvp

Reaction score
It’s hard to say because someone like doug Peterson I couldn’t have told you about 2 years ago. But I’m not paid millions of dollars to study these things.
True. Andy Reid’s coaching tree now has 2 SB champs...even though he has yet to get it done. Nagy may eventually get one before him too. Andy said he’s the best he’s ever had on staff.

So I guess studying has a lot to do with where to look...where has there been a history of success?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no idea who is available and better but I do know this. Jason Garrett does not instill confidence in me that he can take any team to a super bowl victory. I have my doubts that he could win a super bowl even if he had the NFC pro bowl team for the playoff run. Because of that, I would love to see some young up and coming hotshot with an aggressive style of play on both sides takes the reigns of the current youth movement. Garrett should be the next domino to fall and really shut the door to the Romo-Dez-Witten era. This young team needs fresh leadership from its head coach and assistants , not ones stuck in the 80’s and 90’s with schemes that no longer work. Throw all the names out there you want, I don’t care. Just give me a young aggressive coach running current schemes and devising unique ways to score TDs and prevent the other team from doing the same and I’ll be happy for a few years.

Agreed. Those 3 guys made his career. He hasn't merited an opportunity to rebuild................but the cowboys HC gig hasn't been about merit for a very long time.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Available??? Not at this time of year. For me - David Shaw is the guy. I would hire him in a heartbeat.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Changing coaches isn't easy.
If DAL fires JG then likely you see one of Linehan or Richard hired IMHO.
That way you keep continuity on at least one side of the ball.

With "coveted" college coaches pushing 7M a year I don't know that "going pro" is what many want to do anymore.
NFL doesn't pay much more.
And any college coach has the struggle of building NFL ties to get quality assistants in place.
We've seen Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh and Nick Saban all return to college for better jobs which if I was an owner is something that would concern me about hiring a college coach.

Any coach hired has to be OK that Stephen will manage the cap and McClay will manage personnel.

I don't think Jerry/Stephen are as stupid as people assume.
If DAL hires a new coach I still expect it to be someone like Sean Payton that is an NFL lifer who's won big but may be looking for a fresh start.

Payton’s the guy I think they’d look hard at if he were available, too. He supposedly got along well with Jerry, too.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
At this point, and with a good coaching staff, a Magic 8 Ball would be a suitable replacement for Garrett. Our play calling would be less predictable, would keep Jerry occupied so he'd have less time to meddle with the team, and it has a better personality. Would a Magic 8 Ball be a better HC than Garrett?

Magic8Ball-600x402.jpg

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Payton’s the guy I think they’d look hard at if he were available, too. He supposedly got along well with Jerry, too.

I think he'd make for a great option if he were somehow available. I don't think there's any question about the man's offensive prowess. In fact, he even managed to reinvent himself and the Saints offense this past year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You answered your own question about what Harbaugh has done. As for his "tiff with management"? Harbaugh was in the right so I have no problem with that. If you'd like to side with Baalke and York, I'd love to hear your case.

doesn't matter if harbaugh was in the right...its tiff with management...and the one factor that can't be overlooked in Dallas is you have to navigate Jerry and deal with him....how do you think harbaugh will do in dallas with Jerry....would bilicheck be able to deal with Jerry's constant meddling....its not if they are good coaches or not....its the whole equation you have to consider and that includes jerry

But you're OK with a guy with zero head coaching experience or accomplishments on any level being your current head coach?

You're indicting your credibility.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
doesn't matter if harbaugh was in the right...its tiff with management...and the one factor that can't be overlooked in Dallas is you have to navigate Jerry and deal with him....how do you think harbaugh will do in dallas with Jerry....would bilicheck be able to deal with Jerry's constant meddling....its not if they are good coaches or not....its the whole equation you have to consider and that includes jerry

Bill. Parcells.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You answered your own question about what Harbaugh has done. As for his "tiff with management"? Harbaugh was in the right so I have no problem with that. If you'd like to side with Baalke and York, I'd love to hear your case.

But you're OK with a guy with zero head coaching experience or accomplishments on any level being your current head coach?

You're indicting your credibility.
and garrett was a coach in the NFL...... the requirement to be a head coach is not that you have been a head coach before.....mcvey was never a head coach...until he got the rams job. John Harbaugh was a special teams coach before getting head coaching job...

not sure where you were going with that one......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Bill. Parcells.
bingo....bill parcells quit in dallas afer 4 years of jerry.

the problem is the coach needs to own the locker room and control over all the players...jerry meddling all the time and his relationship with players, undermines his coaches....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Sorry, this isn't "2-3 years". It sure not 5-6 years either. This is 7 years and counting in the head job and over a decade overall.

This is the farthest thing from a rash decision.
then lets move to the next coach..... everyone has an idea for a candidate. all think they are right....and I am on the side that this is Garrett's last year in dallas....we will see where we are in 4 years....if we are average to below average....then we can't blame garrett....