Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and garrett was a coach in the NFL...... the requirement to be a head coach is not that you have been a head coach before.....mcvey was never a head coach...until he got the rams job. John Harbaugh was a special teams coach before getting head coaching job...

not sure where you were going with that one......

Where I made going is the fact that Garrett has never accomplished anything in his entire career. He's been gifted everything he's ever gotten because of Jerry Jones.

That's the point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
then lets move to the next coach..... everyone has an idea for a candidate. all think they are right....and I am on the side that this is Garrett's last year in dallas....we will see where we are in 4 years....if we are average to below average....then we can't blame garrett....

Come see me when that happens. Until then, I'm not worried about hypotheticals nor afraid of change.

We've seen 8 years of irrelevance and disappointment. What can be worse?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I have to wonder if ANY other coach could do better with the Cowboys with Jerry in charge. Parcells was a two time SB winning coach, took another team to the SB and another to the AFC championship game, and in 4 years here never won a single playoff game. You can argue he didn't come into a good team at first, I guess, but it's hard to compare one team to another.

Still, can't just stick with the status quo forever, at some point Garrett has to "put up or shut up", to some that point was reached 2 or 3 years ago, to some he won't be at that point for another 2 or 3 or 4 years, and I believe one poster on the "official" Cowboys site basically said as long as the team is "entertaining" us, Garrett is "good enough".

Oh well, Jerry is no spring chicken, he'll be out of the picture sooner or later, and we'll see how it goes then. Some of us won't be around then, maybe not even me, but a lot of us will.

Will we like what we get then?

Stay tuned, folks...
I agree...I think 2 or 3 years ago...but 4 years ago, we lost in a controversial play....then the next year we lost QB and it was so painfully obvious our backups were not NFL QBs and couldn't adequately keep things moving forward....so it became and excuse...the next year, we did good, lost in the playoff, to GB again......so arrow was pointing up... then last year kind of fell apart again and excuse was injuries... I think this is the last year...its put up or shut up...

and jerry is getting impatient as you said...he doesn't have too many years left....getting a established NFL coach will be key for him, probably wouldn't want to train a college coach in the NFL and lose a year....so which established NFL coach would come to dallas and put up with Jerry?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bingo....bill parcells quit in dallas afer 4 years of jerry.

the problem is the coach needs to own the locker room and control over all the players...jerry meddling all the time and his relationship with players, undermines his coaches....

Bingo.

Bill Parcells took the job.

That clearly refutes anyone crying about this team not "able to hire quality coaches."

Parcells was far and away the best coach available, he met with Jerry, they worked things out, and he took the job and coached this team for four years. Until he finally retired from the grind of coaching.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Where I made going is the fact that Garrett has never accomplished anything in his entire career. He's been gifted everything he's ever gotten because of Jerry Jones.

That's the point.
that's different than saying, he has no experience as a head coach anywhere, so he is not qualified.....there are a lot of those type of coaches around.....

and I don't disagree....the thought at the time was he is the next big thing in coaching..... jerry was wrong.... same thing with Mcvey at 34 being handed head coaching job with rams...that was very risky.....it seemed to work out...same with Pederson....he was never a head coach, but did well as an OC, HC assistant....it worked out....then again Gruden in DC hasn't worked out....john harbaugh was a special teams coach then a head coach...he won a superbowl but there are those in baltimore that want him out......and slew of others around the league and their teams talents levels aren't that different than cowboys that have failed and succeeded...

Garrett took what was given to him....he didn't put a magic spell on anyone...we can't fault him for that....Jerry offered him the job. jerry wanted him. jerry thought he was the "shiets".... jerry threw money at him....that's Jerry's fault...not garrett...

prior to garrett, there were slew of others and they all failed under jerry....

and that bring me back to the point I made earlier....to come to dallas, you have to learn how to deal with jerry and accept that you have to deal with jerry...that's why Harbaugh is a bad choice...he wouldn't be able to deal with Jerry.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Bingo.

Bill Parcells took the job.

That clearly refutes anyone crying about this team not "able to hire quality coaches."

Parcells was far and away the best coach available, he met with Jerry, they worked things out, and he took the job and coached this team for four years. Until he finally retired from the grind of coaching.
they can...but lessons learned....parcells took the job. parcells was a legend. successful. turned teams around....won superbowls...took the team to two AFC championships....and he failed in dallas and left...

so now there is history....and there is 23 years of history that clearly shows Jerry's meddling ways...would the next big name coach, worth his name take this job? we have to wait and see...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Come see me when that happens. Until then, I'm not worried about hypotheticals nor afraid of change.

We've seen 8 years of irrelevance and disappointment. What can be worse?
I am not afraid of change. I think its time, so you are reading that wrong...what I initially disagreed with was the choices.......

and I don't deal in hypotheticals...the facts are that we have had 6 coaches since Johnson and they all failed...yeah some will say Switzer succeeded, but it was more despite him thant because of him...it was the team telling him to stay in the back and let them do what they do best....he was the beneficiary....the other 5 failed......that's 20+ years of jerry history.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that's different than saying, he has no experience as a head coach anywhere, so he is not qualified.....there are a lot of those type of coaches around.....

and I don't disagree....the thought at the time was he is the next big thing in coaching..... jerry was wrong.... same thing with Mcvey at 34 being handed head coaching job with rams...that was very risky.....it seemed to work out...same with Pederson....he was never a head coach, but did well as an OC, HC assistant....it worked out....then again Gruden in DC hasn't worked out....john harbaugh was a special teams coach then a head coach...he won a superbowl but there are those in baltimore that want him out......and slew of others around the league and their teams talents levels aren't that different than cowboys that have failed and succeeded...

Garrett took what was given to him....he didn't put a magic spell on anyone...we can't fault him for that....Jerry offered him the job. jerry wanted him. jerry thought he was the "shiets".... jerry threw money at him....that's Jerry's fault...not garrett...

I don't fault him for taking the job, I fault him for not being up to the title.

prior to garrett, there were slew of others and they all failed under jerry....

and that bring me back to the point I made earlier....to come to dallas, you have to learn how to deal with jerry and accept that you have to deal with jerry...that's why Harbaugh is a bad choice...he wouldn't be able to deal with Jerry.

And I'm saying that it's not any sort of a given what Harbaugh could or couldn't do. And again, the Bill Parcells example supports that. And it directly refutes any claims about who would or wouldn't come here.

I think that any sort of talk like that comes across as a weak hypothetical excuse for keeping Garrett around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they can...but lessons learned....parcells took the job. parcells was a legend. successful. turned teams around....won superbowls...took the team to two AFC championships....and he failed in dallas and left...

Define "failure".

so now there is history....and there is 23 years of history that clearly shows Jerry's meddling ways...would the next big name coach, worth his name take this job? we have to wait and see...

I know that Jerry is a factor, both positive and negative. And I also know that this is a team loaded with young talent. And I also know that it's still the highest profile team in the league. The Dallas Cowboys. America's Team.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I dont want to start another bash garret or who's going to be the next Head coach...

but I was thinking about this today, who's available and who's better than him right now at where he's at... I know he's been learning on the job.... most people do in this day and age, but looking at College coaches they have to learn Pro game... looking at coordinators they have to learn how to be a head coach. looking at Retreads, they have to learn how the game is played today...

so my question is simple Who could replace him & be better than him right now where he's at today with this franchise.

With NFL coaching experience, none amongst the ones available IMO. College coaches? They rarely do well the first couple of years in the NFL. Jimmy was a true exception. Look at Saban, Spurrier and Carrol with their first shot at coaching at the NFL level. JG is our guy for 2018. After that, who knows

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not afraid of change. I think its time, so you are reading that wrong...what I initially disagreed with was the choices.......

Feel free to add your own. The point is that Garrett hasn't set any high bar to reach and the list of qualified replacements would be a long one.

and I don't deal in hypotheticals...the facts are that we have had 6 coaches since Johnson and they all failed...yeah some will say Switzer succeeded, but it was more despite him thant because of him...it was the team telling him to stay in the back and let them do what they do best....he was the beneficiary....the other 5 failed......that's 20+ years of jerry history.

I think that's a pretty broad characterization and dismissal of a lot as "failure."

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Bruce Arians retired but gimme him over Garrett anyday. The overall record speaks for itself too (better W-L since 2013 and at least was able to beat Rodgers and make it to the conference championship game). And it would be nice to have a QB Whisperer like him for Dak

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't fault him for taking the job, I fault him for not being up to the title.

that's not his fault...that's his inability..... that's jerry's fault for keeping him on the job....it seems like you want to make this Garrett's fault...its not...he maybe not capable...he maybe doing his best. his best is not good enough...Jerry keeps him around for what ever reason......

And I'm saying that it's not any sort of a given what Harbaugh could or couldn't do. And again, the Bill Parcells example supports that. And it directly refutes any claims about who would or wouldn't come here.

I think that any sort of talk like that comes across as a weak hypothetical excuse for keeping Garrett around.

bill parcells example actually supports that even legends fail in dallas and can only deal with jerry for so long...don't mistake it...parcells quit because he had enough....TO and Jerry meddling with player personnel was the last straw...he went through it with New England when he said " if you are going to cook it, then you should be able to shop for the ingredients, which led to his departure".....

he was the first legend to come to dallas, a big one at that. he failed. there is decade more evidence that jerry is meddling. so again, which head coach worth his name would be willing to come and deal with that? and Harbauf is in fact the worst choice, since he had a tiff with 49ers management...wrong or right...there was a tiff and they don't even come close to jerry....

again, not hypothetical excuse to keep garrett....the original response, was that I didn't like neither of your candidates.... you seem to be hell bent on trying to prove that there is a chance for harbaugh and that he will succeed (which is a hypothetical onto itself)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Bruce Arians retired but gimme him over Garrett anyday. The overall record speaks for itself too (better W-L since 2013 and at least was able to beat Rodgers and make it to the conference championship game). And it would be nice to have a QB Whisperer like him for Dak
maybe...maybe not...but he didn't succeed in AZ. he had a bunch of good players, good RB, HOF WR playing at a high level, another WR that was great.....good OL......great defense...a top notch QB.....so what happened? looking at his full seasons in AZ, he was in AZ for 5 years and had a 1-2 playoff record...9.8 wins per year...garrett in 7 full seasons...8.8 wins per year...... both have 1-2 playoff record....

I am not saying garrett is good...just saying ariens may not be all that....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that's not his fault...that's his inability..... that's jerry's fault for keeping him on the job....it seems like you want to make this Garrett's fault...its not...he maybe not capable...he maybe doing his best. his best is not good enough...Jerry keeps him around for what ever reason......

It's certainly his fault that he's not able to do the job he's been hired and paid to do.

bill parcells example actually supports that even legends fail in dallas and can only deal with jerry for so long...don't mistake it...parcells quit because he had enough....TO and Jerry meddling with player personnel was the last straw...he went through it with New England when he said " if you are going to cook it, then you should be able to shop for the ingredients, which led to his departure".....

The mistake is yours. If Parcells left because of Jerry, he would have coached somewhere else. He didn't. Your mistake.

he was the first legend to come to dallas, a big one at that. he failed. there is decade more evidence that jerry is meddling. so again, which head coach worth his name would be willing to come and deal with that? and Harbauf is in fact the worst choice, since he had a tiff with 49ers management...wrong or right...there was a tiff and they don't even come close to jerry....

Parcells completely rebuilt this trainwrecks of a team. Labeling him as a "failure" indicts you, not him.

again, not hypothetical excuse to keep garrett....the original response, was that I didn't like neither of your candidates.... you seem to be hell bent on trying to prove that there is a chance for harbaugh and that he will succeed (which is a hypothetical onto itself)

You mean like where you keep trying to make the case that he won't? Despite the fact that unlike Garrett, the guy has actually accomplished a lot at both the college and pro levels as a coach. I'm not guaranteeing anything about Harbaugh, either way. Other than the well-established fact that he's better at coaching than Garrett.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Feel free to add your own. The point is that Garrett hasn't set any high bar to reach and the list of qualified replacements would be a long one.

I think that's a pretty broad characterization and dismissal of a lot as "failure."
I don't disagree.....finding the right candidate is key....6 head coaches since Johnson...history doesn't support the notion that any coach can do well with jerry...perhaps jerry is getting older and maybe less meddling, but I don't see that