Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Roy, his agenda is for people to blame Jerry instead of Garrett. You’ll just have to agree to disagree and move on or this conversation will repeat itself for years.
Garrett certainly holds some responsibility but the reason we have him and he’s still here despite the results is on Jerry.

This notion or narrative it’s all on Garrett is absurd. Obviously as I stated above whenever we have more talent on the field we have more success.

The bigger issue with Jerry is he’s limiting the type of coach and front office we’d all prefer to have so ultimately that is on him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Third most wins? Is that because he has been here longer than anyone but Landry? LOL Sorry buddy, the ONLY coach in Cowboys history with a worse winning percentage than Garrett is Campo. Facts are stubborn things. Gailey and Wade both have higher winning percentages.

Is that horrid coach the same guy you called a puppet? Same guy you said we need Tom Brady to overcome? Yah, what a great coach. Your hero.

Your ditch keeps getting deeper and deeper.
actually....the percentage winning of parcells was also lower than garrett....yes, facts are very stubborn things....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Because Dak is a great young stud QB. He is only going to get better. You might have to struggle through some pro bowls and league MVP races with Dak. I know it will be hard for you.
you know there are many many on this board that want to get rid of Dak and recent rankings have him in the lower half of the NFL QBs. which makes him average in the NFL. but whatever.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would rather have Wentz without the injury. For the next 10 years there are few QB's i would rather have. But Dak might be the best of all of them.
I love to have wentz. I was hoping and screaming for us to trade up and get him. he just had the "it" factor, but I am not sure if I take Dak over a lot of other QBs.... right now based on 2 year performance, he is average. he can't carry a team and needs a lot around him to succeed, but he is capable of taking that group and lead them to victory. he defintley is not in the top 10 of the QBs...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and you came up with that percentage how exactly?
Roy is right . The franchise deserves better but this is a major flaw in his evaluation because that’s not a reality with Jerry.

And why Plan B is in order. Continuing to want Plan A when it’s not a viable option is not facing or coming to terms with our situation.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This guy doesnt get that point. Brady wouldnt win any SB's had he been here and Romo in NE. And Romo probably wins at least a few.
speculation..... Brady is probably the best QB ever to play the game. and a great QB like him make the coachs and lead teams to championships. Aikman did it for Switzer. otherwise switzer was a moron. he rode the coat tails of Johnson and the loaded team he left behind. he did manage to screw the team from three straight superbowl wins, and the next year the team tuned him out and took it upon themselves to do the things that needed to be done to get another championship.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
you know there are many many on this board that want to get rid of Dak and recent rankings have him in the lower half of the NFL QBs. which makes him average in the NFL. but whatever.
If Dak can perform closer to the level he did in 2016 then he might be serviceable if we have a better defense.

But what happens if we don’t and or we lose our RB and an OL. Then we’re reduced to a shell of a team. Do we love Dak that much to invest without more success.

This isn’t personal . It’s a business decision. It’s why teams invest a 100 million on an elite QB because they won’t need as much support.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak is light years ahead of Romo after two seasons. Tony hadn't even taken a snap yet.
why? because he started for two years, that already makes him better? Romo didn't have the OL that Dak has. Romo didn't have his Zeke. the one year that he did, the team went 12-4.

Romo's ceiling may have been higher than Dak. getting to start immediately, was more luck, than him taking it away. If romo. doesn't get injured, dak is still on the bench.

its like saying Dak is light years ahead of brady, because Dak started his first year and brady was a back up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
with only one exception....bilicheck...... somehow he always squeezes blood out of rock.
But even Bill along with Brady need some supporting cast to go all the way.

And Bill had never made it to a championship game without Brady. Bill is a great great defensive coach . And he has best QB in NFL. It’s an awesome duo.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You took good logic and made the wrong analysis out of it:

If Garrett is only as good as his talent then what good is he? So when Garrett's teams go 13 o 12 wins its because of the talent he has and not his coaching ability. Any fool can win with good talent. When a few of those pieces get hurt, he bombs.
how many coaches are better than their talent.

let me start....Bilicheck.... name the rest, lets compare the talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
how many coaches are better than their talent.

let me start....Bilicheck.... name the rest, lets compare the talent.
I’d even challenge Bill. We saw what he was in Cleveland. Bill is a great defensive coach and has the best QB.

The examples are plentiful . Did Jimmy suk in Miami or his first year in Dallas or have less talent ?Why did Landry have off years?

It’s all about the talent. Great coaching influences assembling the talent. Those who amass the most in the right places usually have the most success.

It’s why great coaches wouldn’t want to come here because of Jerrys meddling with assembling the talent because ultimately they know their fate resides with the talent they compile.

kevm3

Reaction score
We've rolled over the entire roster. The old guard is completely gone. If we have yet another disappointing season, then it's clear as day where we should be looking at... but then again, the scapegoat has already been laid out to be Dak or maybe the new, inexperienced coaches who did all they could do in a rebuild year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Come on now! With the talent this team has had Garrett is an under achieving HC. This team consistently comes up short in games to get into the playoffs, or playoff games. Also, Philly just won the Superbowl with a QB who has never been called elite. That just shows what elite coaching can do for a team. Peterson consistently put his Offensive players in position to make plays in that Super Bowl. Garrett just cheerleads, fight boys, fight. I said fight boys, as he claps. We don’t need a cheerleader as our coach. We need a coach who consistently game plans to put his players in position to beat his opponent. There are ways to scheme our receivers open, but Garrett had them run the same basic and predictable patterns all year. Teams figured out Beasley last year and Garrett never adjusted. Chaz Green got beat like a drum vs Atlanta all game and Garrett never adjusted(chipped for him). If we under achieve this year, I will be surprised if Garrett is not the main reason.
what talent? the defense has been lack luster in talent for years. only recently couple of players have stepped up and found success like Lawrence...that defense had been undermanned for YEARS...

the OL has had talent, perhaps thanks to garrett for being able to be convincing enough to draft OL men in the first round. whether we admit it or not....the first time ever we drafted OL men in the first round in cowboys history. but go ahead give credit to McClay, because it doesn't suit the agenda...if McClay is all that, he wouldn't be in Dallas and would have been snatched long ago....a Scout and Coach work together to build a team that fits the vision of a philosophy. its not random picking of players.

on offense we have had some good players recently, and we have seen the results. 12-4, 13-3....once Romo was provided an OL, which took three drafts, once he was protected, once he was given some run game support from the likes of Julius jones and marion barber, we have seen the team in position to succeed. you have to make it to the big dance to have a chance....granted, I don't disagree that we haven't had the success we want in the post season.

Peterson had some talent, lets not dismiss that fact. he didn't exactly put filet mignon on the plate from a pile shiet. Wentz was #2 pick in the draft...Dak a 4th round pick. they had a great OL in place already, they acquired some talent through FA and had one of the best DL in the NFL with the likes of FLetcher Cox, so please don't act as if somehow Peterson is this unbelievable Guru...he has talent....and yes, this is were I agree, when he had the talent, he cashed in.

but how many other Peterson's? all other winning superbowl coaches, became average once they lost their talent, except perhaps bilicheck. Pittsburgh still has a HOF QB, a potential HOF RB and WR and great OL...yet they have been losing in the playoffs....is Mike Tomlin an average coach? he won a superbowl when he had great defense, young Rothlisberger and great Offense. cashed in. lose the talent....and they are just another team benefiting in being with Cleveland and Cinci in the same division.

Harbaugh had benefit of three HOF players on his defense on his way to his superbowl victory and Ravens have been average since...he has had several years to turn the team around and has failed.

now, with all of that said...I agree, we were stagnant last year. which part of the blame falls on Linehan? after all he has the offense....Pittsburgh churned their OC and DC....I blame garrett for not doing some of that...although we did churn some position coaches this past summer.

and finally, if we under achieve this year, yes, its time for a change......sometimes it just is...Philly moved on from Reid and Reid was a successful coach. including superbowl appearance....sometimes you just have to move on

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’d even challenge Bill. We saw what he was in Cleveland. Bill is a great defensive coach and has the best QB.

The examples are plentiful . Did Jimmy suk in Miami or his first year in Dallas or have less talent ?Why did Landry have off years?

It’s all about the talent. Great coaching influences assembling the talent. Those who amass the most in the right places usually have the most success.

It’s why great coaches wouldn’t want to come here because of Jerrys meddling with assembling the talent because ultimately they know their fate resides with the talent they compile.
I guarantee you, even if we win the superbowl this year, these garrett haters want him gone....they will say we should have won three and we didn't so he should be gone....they will give credit to jerry and assistant coaches........based on their illogic they just hate garrett and for most its personal....they actually want us to lose so they can point and say garrett sucks....they actually would hate for us to win because it would prove them wrong.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Landry was one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. Only HC to appear in a championship game with 4 different QB’s in 3 different decades but only one QB won a championship for him.

Is it a coincidence he was the most talented QB Landry had? Merideth certainly was a very talented QB. Led NFL in passing and equivalent to MVP. Morton was 1st NFL QB to lead 2 different teams( Denver) to a Super Bowl and Danny held most of the Cowboys passing records until Romo came along.

But they all went up against better or more talented teams coming up short except Staubach who was most talented . There is no substitute for talent . Great coaching assembles talent to fit their schemes and vision. The one who assembled the most wins.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I guarantee you, even if we win the superbowl this year, these garrett haters want him gone....they will say we should have won three and we didn't so he should be gone....they will give credit to jerry and assistant coaches........based on their illogic they just hate garrett and for most its personal....they actually want us to lose so they can point and say garrett sucks....they actually would hate for us to win because it would prove them wrong.
I understand . That’s fine. It’s part of the Internet social media culture with anonymous members and no accountability which is more about being right.

They can throw it out there until they’re proven wrong spinning the facts to support their narrative. We often call it propaganda reporting or fake news.

This is why it’s so important to push back and offer our narrative and views.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
At this point, I would proclaim I am a Garrett hater and want him gone. I think he is a liability on the sidelines on game day that makes winning more difficult. If we win the SB, I would gladly say I was wrong. It won't be the first time I was wrong, and it won't be the last time I was wrong. I was a big Garrett supporter for 5.5 years. I guess at this point, I could say I was wrong about Garrett during the time I supported him. I thought he would eventually learn from and correct decisions that contributed to losing games which probably should have been won and it doesn't appear he has done so.

That said, winning this year won't change the fact I believe the team has underachieved during his tenure up til now. I have a hard time believing this team making the playoffs twice and only winning 1 wild card game over his 7 full years as coach was the best that could have been accomplished. Yes, we have had weaknesses which probably eliminates winning a SB from the expectation list, but I don't think NY 2011, Washington 2012, Philly 2013, and GB in 2016 and the teams that beat us in 2017 were great teams we shouldn't have been able to overcome some of them to have had more success than what was delivered. Those teams also had weaknesses. The Cowboys have had opportunities to extend seasons and have failed miserably at doing so during Garrett's tenure. Since he still has a job, he can change the hater's narrative, but he needs to lead the team to post season success in order to do it. We'll know if he can do it this year in about 7-8 more months.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
At this point, I would proclaim I am a Garrett hater and want him gone. I think he is a liability on the sidelines on game day that makes winning more difficult. If we win the SB, I would gladly say I was wrong. It won't be the first time I was wrong, and it won't be the last time I was wrong. I was a big Garrett supporter for 5.5 years. I guess at this point, I could say I was wrong about Garrett during the time I supported him. I thought he would eventually learn from and correct decisions that contributed to losing games which probably should have been won and it doesn't appear he has done so.

That said, winning this year won't change the fact I believe the team has underachieved during his tenure up til now. I have a hard time believing this team making the playoffs twice and only winning 1 wild card game over his 7 full years as coach was the best that could have been accomplished. Yes, we have had weaknesses which probably eliminates winning a SB from the expectation list, but I don't think NY 2011, Washington 2012, Philly 2013, and GB in 2016 and the teams that beat us in 2017 were great teams we shouldn't have been able to overcome some of them to have had more success than what was delivered. Those teams also had weaknesses. The Cowboys have had opportunities to extend seasons and have failed miserably at doing so during Garrett's tenure. Since he still has a job, he can change the hater's narrative, but he needs to lead the team to post season success in order to do it. We'll know if he can do it this year in about 7-8 more months.
you can't change the past. you can have your views and opinions about the past. we all do.

but I am not sure if you said you want him gone if we win the superbowl or not?

seems like regardless you are going to hold the past against him.